Taxing your Car Mileage... What?

Lumpy 1

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2009
Sheesh... you got to be kidding.. on top of the taxes we're already paying....
Just what we need, the federal and probably the state and local government monitoring our driving habits... invasion of privacy, I think so..

.......................:evil:

TAMPA - In a recent report, the Congressional Budget Office in Washington, D.C. took a look at taxing drivers on their mileage as a way to raise money for federal highway funding.

Most federal money spent on the highways comes from your fuel taxes, but according to the Congressional Budget Office, those taxes and others paid by drivers aren't enough to pay for current or future highway spending.

That's due in part to today's more fuel efficient vehicles. A Vehicle Miles Traveled (VMT) Tax would be a sort-of user fee. Those traveling more on the roads, presumably causing a greater impact, would pay more.

Taxes based on your odometer?

Who makes more money on gasoline, the government or the oil companies?

Last edited:
Nothing like a tax that requires the building of a new bureaucracy, infrastructure, set of criminal penalties and government waste that is nigh impossible to enforce OR verify with any serious effectiveness.

mmmm peachy.

What we are seeing is the affect of increased efficiency of the cars and trucks, and the emergence of EVs. We depend on the Interstates for transportation, both personal and commercial. If we fail to fund the maintenance of the system, it will fail. We see every year now old bridges failing, sometimes catastrophically.

So, do you want to fund the system out of income taxes, or taxes on those that use the system? Or do you just want to shut the system down?

Let me tell you how it will be
There's one for you, nineteen for me
'Cause I'm the taxman, yeah, I'm the taxman

Should five per cent appear too small
Be thankful I don't take it all
'Cause I'm the taxman, yeah I'm the taxman

If you drive a car, I'll tax the street,
If you try to sit, I'll tax your seat.
If you get too cold I'll tax the heat,

If you take a walk, I'll tax your feet.

Don't ask me what I want it for
If you don't want to pay some more

Now my advice for those who die
Declare the pennies on your eyes
And you're working for no one but me.

This is really already done with gasoline taxes. I'd rather just see a raise in income tax (though I am not in favor of any higher taxes) than this other crap that is being proposed under the guise that "we didn't raise taxes."

We are already taxed on our car mileage every time we refill the tank. The less you drive the less you pay. You also get credit for being more fuel efficient

From what I sunderstand about this proposal, it would be aimed at the hibreds and electric cars since they use alot less gas than the average vehicle on the road today. However, I can see it becoming law for all vehicles. The grand progressive plan to keep tabs on the population, since we can't make the money on gas that we use to, we will tax you on the distance you travel in a month and keep tabs on where you are during those times.

From what I sunderstand about this proposal, it would be aimed at the hibreds and electric cars since they use alot less gas than the average vehicle on the road today. However, I can see it becoming law for all vehicles. The grand progressive plan to keep tabs on the population, since we can't make the money on gas that we use to, we will tax you on the distance you travel in a month and keep tabs on where you are during those times.

Why would the government care where we are and do you think that they are really competent enough to monitor everyone anyway? All they are interested in is getting what they think is their share of your money.

Why would the government care where we are and do you think that they are really competent enough to monitor everyone anyway? All they are interested in is getting what they think is their share of your money.

Is it them taking your money or expecting you to pay for the roads you use?

We already pay for the roads we use.

Sheesh... you got to be kidding.. on top of the taxes we're already paying....
Just what we need, the federal and probably the state and local government monitoring our driving habits... invasion of privacy, I think so..

.......................:evil:

TAMPA - In a recent report, the Congressional Budget Office in Washington, D.C. took a look at taxing drivers on their mileage as a way to raise money for federal highway funding.

Most federal money spent on the highways comes from your fuel taxes, but according to the Congressional Budget Office, those taxes and others paid by drivers aren't enough to pay for current or future highway spending.

That's due in part to today's more fuel efficient vehicles. A Vehicle Miles Traveled (VMT) Tax would be a sort-of user fee. Those traveling more on the roads, presumably causing a greater impact, would pay more.

Taxes based on your odometer?

Who makes more money on gasoline, the government or the oil companies?

IF (big if) they replace the gas tax with a mileage tax I would agree with it.

We already pay for the roads we use.
I wonder when we'll start taxing bicycle riders to start paying for the roads they use... and bike trails... and sidewalks...

Nice big tax loving liberal base there to nail with excessive taxation. Lord knows they force the narrowing of roads for exclusive rights of passage, increase accidents (particularly fatal ones) by disobeying almost every traffic law save speeding (in most cases) and generally gain a disproportionate amount of tax revenue to fuel their tax free form of transit.

It doesn't appear as though America can afford the life style it has been accustomed to. A lot of people are going to have to learn how to be satisfied with less. I would prefer if it was less things as opposed to less freedom.

Well, if we cannot fund repairs to the Interstates, just shut them down.

Or install toll booths. A lot simpler and a lot less intrusive. Tell me why does there need to be a tax that actually requires what amounts to 24/7/365 surveillance?

Bingo.

The shift to fuel efficient cars is lowering gas tax receipts, hence the gubmint feels compelled to figure out a new way to tax vehicle use.

Forum List

Back