Taxing your Car Mileage... What?

Sheesh... you got to be kidding.. on top of the taxes we're already paying....
Just what we need, the federal and probably the state and local government monitoring our driving habits... invasion of privacy, I think so..

.......................:evil:

TAMPA - In a recent report, the Congressional Budget Office in Washington, D.C. took a look at taxing drivers on their mileage as a way to raise money for federal highway funding.

Most federal money spent on the highways comes from your fuel taxes, but according to the Congressional Budget Office, those taxes and others paid by drivers aren't enough to pay for current or future highway spending.

That's due in part to today's more fuel efficient vehicles. A Vehicle Miles Traveled (VMT) Tax would be a sort-of user fee. Those traveling more on the roads, presumably causing a greater impact, would pay more.

Taxes based on your odometer?

Who makes more money on gasoline, the government or the oil companies?

The weird thing is that, if they actually start charging you by the mile they will eliminate every single incentive people have to buy fuel efficient vehicles, and waste decades of government tax policy.

Not to mention the fact that the IRS tracking my every move has got to be unconstitutional.

Well, if we cannot fund repairs to the Interstates, just shut them down.

Hey genius, this tax would apply even if you never get on an interstate. In fact, it would apply even if you built your own road and drove on it exclusively using a solar powered car. Tell me again why you think this is a good idea.

From what I sunderstand about this proposal, it would be aimed at the hibreds and electric cars since they use alot less gas than the average vehicle on the road today. However, I can see it becoming law for all vehicles. The grand progressive plan to keep tabs on the population, since we can't make the money on gas that we use to, we will tax you on the distance you travel in a month and keep tabs on where you are during those times.

What you understand about this program is completely wrong.

The mileage meter... of DOOM!

Most of you probably thought you were safe from Washington state's proposed mileage tax targeting hybrid and electric cars that pay less in gas taxes, but the federal government is now considering the same thing, complete with wireless mileage monitoring devices for every car in the country.
The government is having a bit of a problem keeping up with the amount of money required to keep our highways from crumbling into dust, so the Congressional Budget Office (CBO) is exploring some new ways of raising revenue. One of these ways could be to implement the system that Washington state has been thinking about: a tax based on mileage, instead of gas consumption, to make sure that hybrid and electric vehicles don't get off for free.
So, how is Uncle Sam going to keep track of your mileage? The plan would be to require all cars to have a mileage tracking device, which would transmit information wirelessly to government tracking receivers at gas stations. These devices would also keep track of when you were driving to be able to charge you more for driving during rush hour, and it's not too much of a stretch to imagine adding in location information to charge extra for driving in city centers. Says the CBD: "Now, electronic metering and billing are making per-mile charges a practical option." Uh, yay, technology?

U.S. motorists to get car tracking devices, pay by the mile? | DVICE

From what I sunderstand about this proposal, it would be aimed at the hibreds and electric cars since they use alot less gas than the average vehicle on the road today. However, I can see it becoming law for all vehicles. The grand progressive plan to keep tabs on the population, since we can't make the money on gas that we use to, we will tax you on the distance you travel in a month and keep tabs on where you are during those times.

Bingo.

The shift to fuel efficient cars is lowering gas tax receipts, hence the gubmint feels compelled to figure out a new way to tax vehicle use.

Raise gas taxes, and stop using the money from gas taxes to buy solar cells. The problem is not that the government is not getting enough money, it is that it is quite willing to spend the money on public transportation projects, alternative energy, and pet projects instead of spending it on upkeep and needed improvements.

Eh.. just thought I'd throw this in..

---------------------------:eek:

Who is getting rich at the gas pumps?

For starters, many average Americans who hold stock in the oil companies, either directly or indirectly through their 410k or mutual fund. But the fact is, the gross profit margin for a gallon of gas in America today, is what it has always been, on average, .08 cents per gallon, (2.5% at $3.00 per gallon). Though retail gas prices fluctuate with crude prices and supply vs. demand, the gross profit margin per gallon remains roughly the same at all times. (No evidence of price gouging here.)

However the federal government profits approximately .59 cents per gallon through gasoline taxes, 7 ½ times or 750% that of the oil producers themselves and 20% of the price at the pumps. Pay attention here, Washington liberals are attacking oil companies for their 2.5% gross profit margin, while Washington is profiting 20% per gallon.

Based upon a $3.00 gallon of gasoline, the average break-down is as follows.

Gasoline Retailer $.01 cents per gallon
Oil Company $.08 cents per gallon
Refining $.29 cents per gallon
Marketing/Distribution $.32 cents per gallon
Taxes $.59 cents per gallon
Cost of crude $1.71 per gallon (delivered)

Who is "gouging" Whom at the Pumps?

You fellows are still leaving the question unanswered. How do you propose to pay for the roads that the vehicles travel on?

I suspect that if the government used the taxes they already collect on roads, the roads would be fine. Perhaps if they used non-union labor the price would be more reasonable also.

No link...just my assumptions...

You fellows are still leaving the question unanswered. How do you propose to pay for the roads that the vehicles travel on?

Why does that bother you, and you are not bothered by the fact that money that should be spent on those roads you are worried about are paying for a train that no one will ride?

Eh.. just thought I'd throw this in..

---------------------------:eek:

Who is getting rich at the gas pumps?

For starters, many average Americans who hold stock in the oil companies, either directly or indirectly through their 410k or mutual fund. But the fact is, the gross profit margin for a gallon of gas in America today, is what it has always been, on average, .08 cents per gallon, (2.5% at $3.00 per gallon). Though retail gas prices fluctuate with crude prices and supply vs. demand, the gross profit margin per gallon remains roughly the same at all times. (No evidence of price gouging here.)

However the federal government profits approximately .59 cents per gallon through gasoline taxes, 7 ½ times or 750% that of the oil producers themselves and 20% of the price at the pumps. Pay attention here, Washington liberals are attacking oil companies for their 2.5% gross profit margin, while Washington is profiting 20% per gallon.

Based upon a $3.00 gallon of gasoline, the average break-down is as follows.

Gasoline Retailer $.01 cents per gallon
Oil Company $.08 cents per gallon
Refining $.29 cents per gallon
Marketing/Distribution $.32 cents per gallon
Taxes $.59 cents per gallon
Cost of crude $1.71 per gallon (delivered)

Who is "gouging" Whom at the Pumps?

From that link:

Why have gas prices gone up so much?

They haven’t. Over the last 20 years, gasoline per gallon has increased roughly 60%, which equals an annual average increase of only 3%, which is less than the average rate of inflation.

During the same 20 year period however, the salary of every member of Congress has increased 250% or 12.5% per year. More than four times the average rate of inflation. Who is gouging whom? Who looks greedy now?

So.... according to Obama's State of the Union Speech - We must put 1 million electric cars on the road and pay for them by "getting back the billions of dollars taken from taxpayers". Why - "because they're doing just fine on their own".

Interesting. Part of me is against this. Not really sure why. Folks who drive more sure do tear up the roads more, no debate. Just seems inefficient like it will make me learn how to modify my car's computer.

Interesting. Part of me is against this. Not really sure why. Folks who drive more sure do tear up the roads more, no debate. Just seems inefficient like it will make me learn how to modify my car's computer.

Well.. I know why it bugs me..

If they spent their time reducing the costs instead of figuring out new ways of squeezing our rocks, I'd be a lot happier..

What's worse though is the further monitoring of the individual American.

We just can't keep giving up these seemingly innocuous individual freedoms to the government officials, especially when it's unnecessary..

Last edited:
What we are seeing is the affect of increased efficiency of the cars and trucks, and the emergence of EVs. We depend on the Interstates for transportation, both personal and commercial. If we fail to fund the maintenance of the system, it will fail. We see every year now old bridges failing, sometimes catastrophically.

So, do you want to fund the system out of income taxes, or taxes on those that use the system? Or do you just want to shut the system down?
How 'bout finding it through cuts elsewhere? Like getting rid of three of the four overlapping land-management bureaucracies?

What you understand about this program is completely wrong.

The mileage meter... of DOOM!

Most of you probably thought you were safe from Washington state's proposed mileage tax targeting hybrid and electric cars that pay less in gas taxes, but the federal government is now considering the same thing, complete with wireless mileage monitoring devices for every car in the country.
The government is having a bit of a problem keeping up with the amount of money required to keep our highways from crumbling into dust, so the Congressional Budget Office (CBO) is exploring some new ways of raising revenue. One of these ways could be to implement the system that Washington state has been thinking about: a tax based on mileage, instead of gas consumption, to make sure that hybrid and electric vehicles don't get off for free.
So, how is Uncle Sam going to keep track of your mileage? The plan would be to require all cars to have a mileage tracking device, which would transmit information wirelessly to government tracking receivers at gas stations. These devices would also keep track of when you were driving to be able to charge you more for driving during rush hour, and it's not too much of a stretch to imagine adding in location information to charge extra for driving in city centers. Says the CBD: "Now, electronic metering and billing are making per-mile charges a practical option." Uh, yay, technology?
U.S. motorists to get car tracking devices, pay by the mile? | DVICE
Sounds like an excuse to rack your GPS 24/7

*cue Alex Jones*

Last edited:

Forum List

Back