'Taxing the Rich'

Status
Not open for further replies.
What?

Adjusted
Gross
Income

Are we talking about the same thing dude?

This is why I gave you the story of my ex.

AGI or more accurately, earning potential, doesn't happen by magic. Why do some people make more money than others? Usually, it's because they are smarter or have better organizational skills. Do we make ourselves smart? We may educate ourselves, but do we make ourselves smart? Not really, we either are born with intelligence or we are not.

And this will directly determine our

Adjusted
Gross
Income

That's hardly surprising considering the top 1% rich are richer and the poor poorer than they were under Clinton.
Its a result of the growing divide between rich and poor - not tax policy.

Really?

So the amount of hours one worked in 1993 for basic goods such as houses, cars, TV's, computers and food was less than it is now?

You sure about that?

Then you don't know what the dollar means in terms of a medium of exchange. That dollar represents a unit of value, ....
I knew that actually, thanks.
which in Mr.Nick's case is likely pay for his productivity.

The dollar "stores" the value he created.
But it comes from a dollar that I give up. $1 goes to Nick's supplier, $1 to Nick - and $2 comes from me - no net dollars are created.

The government didn't create that value.

Never said it did. The fed creates the monetary base. The value that is assigned to a dollar is determined by the market.

You have no grasp of capitalism economics at all....

Our dollar is a unit of measurement - like what was pointed out before.

How the fuck you think inflation occurs??

What?

Adjusted
Gross
Income

AGI or more accurately, earning potential, doesn't happen by magic. Why do some people make more money than others? Usually, it's because they are smarter or have better organizational skills.
Yeah.....I think Al Capone & Bernie Madoff BOTH said that!!!

:eusa_whistle:

So the amount of hours one worked in 1993 for basic goods such as houses, cars, TV's, computers and food was less than it is now?

I didn't say that. I said the reason the rich pay more and the poor pay less now vs. under Clinton is because the rich make more and the poor make less. How you got the above statement from that is beyond me.

What?

Adjusted
Gross
Income

AGI or more accurately, earning potential, doesn't happen by magic. Why do some people make more money than others? Usually, it's because they are smarter or have better organizational skills.

You fucking serious??

What does Al Capone have in common with Bernie Madoff??

AGI or more accurately, earning potential, doesn't happen by magic.

AGI isn't earning POTENTIAL is ACTUAL earnings. Do you know what WORDS mean?
Why do some people make more money than others? Usually, it's because they are smarter or have better organizational skills

Its because they work more and/or get paid a higher rate. You can be the smartest person in the world but if you don't apply yourself you get zip.

Not really, we either are born with intelligence or we are not.

And this will directly determine our

Adjusted
Gross
Income

So how much we make is due entirely to our genetics - and that's an argument AGAINST raising taxes on the rich? ?????? lol. You're an idiot.

I didn't say that. I said the reason the rich pay more and the poor pay less now vs. under Clinton is because the rich make more and the poor make less. How you got the above statement from that is beyond me.

For the poor to "make less," it would be necessary for them to have to expend more hours of labor for the same goods. If that is not the case, then your claim is meaningless, populist blather.

Those engaged in class warfare, as you are, tend to float the claim of the "poor getting poorer. " I bring up purchasing power per hour worked as it demonstrates just how utterly false that claim is.

For the poor to "make less," it would be necessary for them to have to expend more hours of labor for the same goods.
In the context of what their annual income is, they just have to get paid less money in a year, obviously.

Those engaged in class warfare, as you are, tend to float the claim of the "poor getting poorer. "
You're the one claiming that income is directly related to genetic factors instead of actual work and risk taking. There's no better basis for class warfare than that.

I bring up purchasing power per hour worked as it demonstrates just how utterly false that claim is.

We're talking about tax receipts, not purchasing power, fool. I was asked why the rich are paying more in taxes now. Its because they fucking make more money now. Jesus fucking Christ that can't be that hard to get. Even under a flat tax, if the rich MAKE more, they will PAY more and if the poor make LESS they will pay LESS. Did you finish 5th grade math?

Last edited:
Why do conservatives and libertarians cry for the rich, do you really think they need your tears? Or your assist? The well to do should pay their fair share, they do fine and since they benefit most from the society that supports them and from the consumers, each of us, who are the primary support of a robust economy, they too should pay, not hide behind you wingnuts and your inane analogies which ignore reality.

"The vast majority of academic studies on who becomes rich have found that intelligence and merit are only a part of the reason -- social factors play a huge role as well. Studies of Fortune 500 companies have found that American executives are seeing exploding pay, but there is no correlation between their pay and a company's profitability. In fact, companies with the greatest inequality of pay suffer worse product quality. And many studies have found that societies with the greatest equality generally enjoy the fastest rates of economic growth.

Many conservatives and libertarians defend the current levels of income inequality on the basis of merit. They claim the rich got rich because they worked harder, longer or smarter than the rest. However, researchers have conducted a vast number of empirical studies on what factors contribute to success, and in what proportion. A classic example of one of these studies is the 1972 book Inequality, by Christopher Jencks. (1) And these studies show that the meritocrat's position is not just arguably wrong, but clearly wrong." The rich get rich because of their merit.

"On moral grounds, then, we could argue for a flat income tax of 90 percent to return that wealth to its real owners. In the United States, even a flat tax of 70 percent would support all governmental programs (about half the total tax) and allow payment, with the remainder, of a patrimony of about $8,000 per annum per inhabitant, or $25,000 for a family of three. This would generously leave with the original recipients of the income about three times what, according to my rough guess, they had earned."UBI and the Flat Tax

As far as the super rich, they only make those enormous sums because of the state, so they are only morally entitled to an enormous sum, but not an absurd sum. The Conservative Nanny State

"Responsible Wealth, a project of United for a Fair Economy, is a network of over 700 business leaders and wealthy individuals in the top 5% of income and/or wealth in the US who use their surprising voice to advocate for fair taxes and corporate accountability. If you're in the top 5% (over $200,000 household income and/or over $1 million net assets) and you care about economic justice, please join Responsible Wealth today!" Responsible Wealth | United for a Fair Economy

I generally agree with the gist of this post. The idea that people get to the top based solely on their own is, generally, an absolute fallacy. Circumstance, opportunity, randomness and just plain luck play a much bigger part in success than many people realize.

Having said that, effort and skill still play a large roll in determining success. You can be the most talented individual in the world but if you couldn't be bothered to get off your ass in the morning, you will accomplish nothing. Thus, expropriation that masquerades as a "fair" tax system where marginal rates are 90% is not only deeply offensive but will do nothing but drive talented people offshore. Never has the world been as open and free as it is today, and never has it been easier to move one's wealth and oneself to a place that is much less hostile to capital and wealth.

Last edited:
AGI isn't earning POTENTIAL is ACTUAL earnings. Do you know what WORDS mean?

Are you being obtuse?

You claimed that AGI isn't something one is born with. I pointed out that it is a direct result of the inherent talents or lack of same. We earn what we do because of the talents we were born with.

Its because they work more and/or get paid a higher rate.

So you think people get paid higher for no particular reason? That may be true in government, but in the real world it isn't even close to true.

You can be the smartest person in the world but if you don't apply yourself you get zip.

You can be a dumb person and apply yourself to the best of your ability and still get zip.

So how much we make is due entirely to our genetics

Absolutes are for fools.

How much we make is due largely to our genetics, though.

and that's an argument AGAINST raising taxes on the rich? ??????

It's an argument utterly unrelated to taxes on the rich.

lol. You're an idiot.

Irony Alert.

You fucking serious??

What does Al Capone have in common with Bernie Madoff??

Capone was a piker compared to Madoff.

I pointed out that it is a direct result of the inherent talents or lack of same.
Great. But what you pointed out isn't TRUE is the problem. Your income is what you are paid in exchange for work you provide, goods you sell or services you render, or risk taken in the market.
So you think people get paid higher for no particular reason?
See above.

How much we make is due largely to our genetics, though.
Really? What's the annual pay per IQ point?

Here's a poll question I made JUST FOR YOU!!!

http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/167877-what-determined-your-income-mostly.html

Last edited:
Why do conservatives and libertarians cry for the rich, do you really think they need your tears? Or your assist? The well to do should pay their fair share, they do fine and since they benefit most from the society that supports them and from the consumers, each of us, who are the primary support of a robust economy, they too should pay, not hide behind you wingnuts and your inane analogies which ignore reality.

"The vast majority of academic studies on who becomes rich have found that intelligence and merit are only a part of the reason -- social factors play a huge role as well. Studies of Fortune 500 companies have found that American executives are seeing exploding pay, but there is no correlation between their pay and a company's profitability. In fact, companies with the greatest inequality of pay suffer worse product quality. And many studies have found that societies with the greatest equality generally enjoy the fastest rates of economic growth.

Many conservatives and libertarians defend the current levels of income inequality on the basis of merit. They claim the rich got rich because they worked harder, longer or smarter than the rest. However, researchers have conducted a vast number of empirical studies on what factors contribute to success, and in what proportion. A classic example of one of these studies is the 1972 book Inequality, by Christopher Jencks. (1) And these studies show that the meritocrat's position is not just arguably wrong, but clearly wrong." The rich get rich because of their merit.

"On moral grounds, then, we could argue for a flat income tax of 90 percent to return that wealth to its real owners. In the United States, even a flat tax of 70 percent would support all governmental programs (about half the total tax) and allow payment, with the remainder, of a patrimony of about $8,000 per annum per inhabitant, or $25,000 for a family of three. This would generously leave with the original recipients of the income about three times what, according to my rough guess, they had earned."UBI and the Flat Tax

As far as the super rich, they only make those enormous sums because of the state, so they are only morally entitled to an enormous sum, but not an absurd sum. The Conservative Nanny State

"Responsible Wealth, a project of United for a Fair Economy, is a network of over 700 business leaders and wealthy individuals in the top 5% of income and/or wealth in the US who use their surprising voice to advocate for fair taxes and corporate accountability. If you're in the top 5% (over $200,000 household income and/or over $1 million net assets) and you care about economic justice, please join Responsible Wealth today!" Responsible Wealth | United for a Fair Economy

I cry for everyone thats being fucked by government....

I'm mature enough not to loathe someone because they have more than I do.

If people don't have a pot to piss in its THEIR fault not someone elses.

Most "rich" people (250k+) were poor before they were rich.

My mother is a CFO now.... We were poor when I was growing up but my mother and my father slowly progressed financially, now they're "well to do."

I value hard work and have respect for those who take risks in life.... I have little respect for those who cry about being poor but are unwilling to put forth any effort to financially better themselves...

So, instead of buying a 5 dollar lotto ticket, buy a stock or invest that 5 dollars in something.

Most rich people were not poor before they became rich. Most rich people were middle or upper middle class. Recent studies have shown that America has become less mobile over the years, at least compared to other countries such as Sweden and Canada, which have more extensive support systems for the poor.

Yes it is true...

Why the fuck you think all these dolts cant wait until April or May for their fucking tax returns???

Why the fuck do you think the government sends you a check??

How about 47% don't pay any income tax???

Yeah I forgot to include that - so I was wrong there but now I'm right.

Go look it up if you don't believe me.....

I apologize for not being able to read your mind and basing my reply on what you actually wrote, my bad.

Why the fuck you think all these dolts cant wait until April or May for their fucking tax returns???
I'm starting to wonder if YOU pay taxes. The due date is in April, not May, and someone who was trying to file as early as possible could probably get theirs done in February.

You can file your taxes whenever you want just as long as its between January and April.

If you file your taxes in say March and if an individual is getting a refund, that check could arrive as soon as the end of April..

My point was that 47% of the working populace receives a tax return - that means they paid little to no taxes. It means their deductions exceeded what was paid to uncle sam.

In short the government is giving the individual back what what the individual already paid in taxes to the government.

If you include all taxes paid, the system is far less progressive than implied in the federal income tax system. I will post this later.

In the context of what their annual income is, they just have to get paid less money in a year, obviously.

Got it. So a Mexican peasant making 100,000 Pesos a year is better off than an American making $20,000. 100,000 is more than 20,000...

ROFL

Purchasing power is the only valid measure of income. The value of the dollar fluctuates. What determines the lifestyle one lives is the hours of labor one must expend to get the things they need and want.

You're the one claiming that income is directly related to genetic factors instead of actual work and risk taking.

Am I?

There's no better basis for class warfare than that.

Really?

We're talking about tax receipts, not purchasing power, fool.

We're talking class warfare and your tepid justifications for inequitable application of laws to some based on the income they make.

I was asked why the rich are paying more in taxes now. Its because they fucking make more money now.

So lower tax rates resulted in the rich paying a greater percentage of taxes, which in your alleged mind proves that the rich are not taxed enough?

Are you sure you've thought this through?

Jesus fucking Christ that can't be that hard to get. Even under a flat tax, if the rich MAKE more, they will PAY more and if the poor make LESS they will pay LESS.

Irrelevant. (Have you noticed that you get shrill when you paint yourself into a corner?)

The equal protection clause of the 14th amendment states;

{No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. }

Essentially, this stipulates that laws must be applied to all citizens in an equal and equitable fashion. Graduated taxation violates this clause in that it applies tax law unequally based on income.

I thought earlier that you grasped this, I apologize for overestimating your intellectual level.

You had argued that because one is "not born" with a particular level of AGI, that it was moral to apply laws in an unequal fashion - to which I pointed out that income actually is something we are born to, within a set of parameters. (Huxley spoke of Alphas, Betas and Epsilons, but the basic concept is there.)

Did you finish 5th grade math?

No doubt that ad hom will salvage your failing argument.

Great. But what you pointed out isn't TRUE is the problem. Your income is what you are paid in exchange for work you provide, goods you sell or services you render, or risk taken in the market.

I see. So everyone could actually do the same? The only reason that a garbage collector isn't a surgeon is because some mean Republican stole his college funds to give tax breaks to the rich, right?

I mean, all will do just as well in med school, intelligence as a genetic attribute has nothing to do with it.

Even should we accept your idiocy, why is it that some people are lazy, and others ambitious? I mean, obviously it's the fault of George W. Bush, but other than that, doesn't the ambition level that PEOPLE ARE BORN WITH have a lot to do with their success in both education and private business?

Really? What's the annual pay per IQ point?

Take your annual pay and divide by 60 - there you have it - for yourself.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back