Talking to son about masturbation

I talked to my boys regarding sex when they were 14. I thought it was a good age to discuss because I lost my virginity when I was 15. To find out they are already having sex with their girlfriend. So I teach them about STD, teen age pregnancy and responsibilities.

My son is 12.

Son: At school they taught it was a mortal sin according to the Catholic Church.

Me: That's right.

Son: Does that mean I have to go to confession EVERY time I do it or I'll go to hell?

Me: How often are we talking about, son?

Son: (drops his head down) Like three or four times a day.

Me: Good God! I mean....ok. I'm glad we're having this talk. You can just save them up and receive absolution for everything once a week.

Son: But why would God make something a sin if I can't help it? That's just not fair.

Me: Because God is a boy with an ant farm and this is one of his cruel jokes. (Bitterly because I remember this same dilemma from when I was a boy)

I can see why my wife wants me to have these discussions. But on this topic, there are no good answers.
Just remember, son. God can see in the dark.

My son is 12.

Son: At school they taught it was a mortal sin according to the Catholic Church.

Son: Does that mean I have to go to confession EVERY time I do it or I'll go to hell?

Me: Good God! I mean....ok. I'm glad we're having this talk. You can just save them up and receive absolution for everything once a week.

Son: But why would God make something a sin if I can't help it? That's just not fair.

Me: Because God is a boy with an ant farm and this is one of his cruel jokes. (Bitterly because I remember this same dilemma from when I was a boy)

I can see why my wife wants me to have these discussions. But on this topic, there are no good answers.
Just remember, son. God can see in the dark.
I had much better luck scaring the boys with the Travelocity gnome. I brought the statue into the house and told them to behave because the gnome was watching. After one of the boys woke up screaming, "It's coming to get me!" my wife made me take it out. I put it in the garage where it keeps vigil over my tools. None ever comes up missing.

Bible doesn't explicitly mention masturbation anywhere. Usual souce of this prohibition is the sin of Onan. Unfortunately, that wasn't masturbation. Onan was having sex with his wife and withdrawing before climax so as not to get her pregnant. That's not masturbation.

And the Jewish arguement about not wasting one's seed (semen) while actually a lot clsoer to the act of masturbation falls apart with the use of the word "waste." Masturbation doesn't waste one's seed but actually strengthens it making sperm 'better swimmers.' Then there's the laundry list of health and psychological benefits to the deed. If anything's it's exercising your reproductive system. Makes you healthier, saner (less horny and motivated by lust,) and better at the act of sex teaching you how to recognize impending climaxes so you can last longer and get your partner off first.

If a religion teaches something with objective health benefits which does all good things and no bad things is a sin, then that religion isn't a religion but a cult.

And that (the biblical waste bit) is spawned from the sociological conditions of the time, when populating was thought to be sorely needed. You were expected to be married and procreating while still a teenager. It's all about numbers.

What the fundies forget is dem books ain't been updated in a loooong long time.
It is akin to having a Constitution without an amendment process. God never intended his Church to be governed by a book.

I'm just thrilled my son feels comfortable talking to me about it.
You should be happy that your son feels he can speak about something so intimate with you, and yet I wonder why he would feel the need to.i suppose a Catholic upbringing would compel a child to do so, and yet I believe a child left to his own devices would grow without guilt for things that are as natural as rain.

I cannot positively say that is so because every child is not the same, but I think that letting children grow without guilt for being what they are is best.
We all do what we think is best for our kids. For us, a Catholic upbringing is the best way to go. My son is learning to deal with a paradox, not the last he'll encounter in his life. How can something be sinful that's hard to control? One makes a choice every time they masturbate, they are not compelled to do so. But resistance is futile, as the Borg say, because eventually a boy will succumb to those raging hormones and they will rock the casbah.

Maturity is knowing how to deal with unfairness without whining like a Democrat, to accept not everything has an answer, and to never give up. I hope the lesson takes.

Bible doesn't explicitly mention masturbation anywhere. Usual souce of this prohibition is the sin of Onan. Unfortunately, that wasn't masturbation. Onan was having sex with his wife and withdrawing before climax so as not to get her pregnant. That's not masturbation.

And the Jewish arguement about not wasting one's seed (semen) while actually a lot clsoer to the act of masturbation falls apart with the use of the word "waste." Masturbation doesn't waste one's seed but actually strengthens it making sperm 'better swimmers.' Then there's the laundry list of health and psychological benefits to the deed. If anything's it's exercising your reproductive system. Makes you healthier, saner (less horny and motivated by lust,) and better at the act of sex teaching you how to recognize impending climaxes so you can last longer and get your partner off first.

If a religion teaches something with objective health benefits which does all good things and no bad things is a sin, then that religion isn't a religion but a cult.
Considering plenty of cults use and have used the Bible only method, your last point is fatally undermined. The Bible is not and never has been the sole rule of faith. Jesus promised the Spirit of Truth to guide his Church into all truth. He commissioned his apostles with his own authority instructing them to teach the nations, to baptize, to forgive sins, to bind, to loose, and to receive the Holy Spirit directly. Nothing Jesus did even hints that they be bound by a book.......which wouldn't even be made official until 4 centuries later. Even that event, where the Church of God decided what is and isn't the Bible is certain proof of where the real authority is both then and today.

I don't care if it's in the Bible or not. Christ's Church says masturbation is a sin. Therefore it is.

I came up in the same church and I don't remember being told that, ever... :dunno:

Did you then tell you boy it's a sin? If so, are you prepared with an answer if he asks why?
Did you get a Catholic education? If you did, I'm sure that was covered.

My son is 12.

1) Get him the hell out of a religious school before he gets as screwed up as you.
2) Tell him there is nothing wrong with masturbation, and in mutual, the Woman ALWAYS comes first.
3) When he turns 18 take him to a brothel so he learns how to please his partner correctly.

OP

you don' have to say a word to your son or daughter

just send them to a public school

they will be experts in masturbation and transgender and pedophilia and all kind of trash in no time

USA is all going down the toilette...didn't you know?

let them do all the hard work for you... there at school

My son is 12.

Good luck.

soon it will be compulsive in schools to be transgenders.....almost

what are parents doing about it?

what a sick society

soon it will be compulsive in schools to be transgenders.....almost

what are parents doing about it?

what a sick society
It already is or at least generally accepted

public schools are the devil

parents beware

I am serious

My son is 12.

1) Get him the hell out of a religious school before he gets as screwed up as you.
2) Tell him there is nothing wrong with masturbation, and in mutual, the Woman ALWAYS comes first.
3) When he turns 18 take him to a brothel so he learns how to please his partner correctly.
Oh brother.

OP

you don' have to say a word to your son or daughter

just send them to a public school

they will be experts in masturbation and transgender and pedophilia and all kind of trash in no time

USA is all going down the toilette...didn't you know?

let them do all the hard work for you... there at school

The fact that others exist

Toilette: 'the process of washing oneself, dressing, and attending to one's appearance.'

Toilet:
033056711903.jpg

You must be a Canadian. Can't spell.

My son is 12.

Oh brother.

Bloviating?

Then again

why should I care what others do:dunno:

whatever...

Forum List

Back