Take a Look At What Passes for "Art" in 2024 USA

Yes there is room for everyone. Normally I would not make remarks about someone's art. And I have avoided saying some of the things I thought.

But when you demean other artists and say what they create is not art, I tend to allow myself to throw more shit.
How much does a Picasso sell for? How much does a Bert Emanuel sell for? How many buyers for a Picasso? How many for a Bert Emanuel?

For the most part, Art is incredibly subjective. All a person can legitimately say is what they like or don't like. Of course indicators are art museums that have hanged your work, galleries that want to represent you and number of commissions.

This is what a supposedly dignified art museum currently displays on its walls, Video is from 11 days ago (February 8, 2024). >>
Sad that we have sunk this low.

But not all is lost. They are still artists producing the REAL thing. They may not have paintings in big city art museums, but they are here, and their paintings are viewable on line.
Here's an example >> Bert Emanuel
View attachment 904708

View attachment 904709

Those paintings look like a 12 year old used a coin to scrape off stuff on those black scratch off papers you can get at Dollar General.

stampede.jpg
Stampede
This was on loan for a year to the private collection of Bank of the West,

sunsetfunrun.jpg
Sunset in Redondo
Was exhibited in the Torrance Art Museum

Almsplease.jpg
The Door
Spent 6 months at the Los Angeles County Art Museum

There are still those who don't like my work

The Tulip Ballerina was a commission

Attachments

• tulipballerina.jpg
    tulipballerina.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 4
You don't get it. No, most of it was NOT interesting at all. Just slopping a few colors on to a canvas does not rate as ART. Here's a few more of my works to give you an idea of what REAL art is >>

Blue Nature - Tropical Lake by Bert Emanuel
View attachment 904875

Blue Nature - Tropical Ocean by Bert Emanuel
View attachment 904877

Bearded Guitarist by Bert Emanuel
View attachment 904880

String Quartet by Bert Emanuel
View attachment 904881

artpal.com/cats2475
It is your art just as other expressions are art also even if you don't like it

Yes, he is. And his art is better than Picasso's.
If you really understand art, you know there is no such thing as 'better", as everyone's art (real art that is) is an expression of the artist his/herself. I would say my art is as good as Picasso's in my way, as are thousands of other artists, as good as Picasso, or any other artist, all in their own individual way.

Long live individuality.

All artists and their art, are apples & oranges of each other.

Last edited:
Yes there is room for everyone. Normally I would not make remarks about someone's art. And I have avoided saying some of the things I thought.

But when you demean other artists and say what they create is not art, I tend to allow myself to throw more shit.
I don't demean any artist, ever, I certain do demean scammers who go around masquerading as artists, and pretending that their scams are art. If you don't know the difference, you shouldn't actually be in this thread.

I cannot express enough how pleased I am that the OP is not the sole arbiter of what constitutes art.
Not that I have any interest in being a sole arbiter, but Why ?

Are you saying that junk like stuff by Jackson Pollock's "art" is actually art? If so, you are just another sucker in th art world, and you should learn to distinguish between real art and scam art.

1708403896752.png

So-called art "experts" call this abstract expressionism. :rolleyes:

There is one word that comes to mind regarding what this expresses.
The word is NOTHING.

How much does a Picasso sell for? How much does a Bert Emanuel sell for? How many buyers for a Picasso? How many for a Bert Emanuel?

For the most part, Art is incredibly subjective. All a person can legitimately say is what they like or don't like. Of course indicators are art museums that have hanged your work, galleries that want to represent you and number of commissions.
I would say > not really. There are galleries that my art is shown in, and there could be many more, when I get around to contacting them.

It is clear however, that art galleries and museums are absolutely no yardstick for the worth of anyone's art. By far, the great majority of excellent art has never hung in ANY museum, which like the Los Angeles Museum of Modern Art is filled with scam trash. Almost all are shown in online galleries, which are rapidly replacing on-the-street galleries, mostly because the on the street galleries just have too much stuff that is not really pleasing to people.
That's because a lot of it got there because of WHO the artist knew, and sometimes paid a tidy sum to have it there.

I gauge the value of my art by people just telling me they like it, they sometimes buy it, and to me, it looks like something that I think most people would like to have on their walls, and make us feel good when we see it.

Eclectus Parrots by Bert Emanuel
Green male & red/blue/purple female. Are found in tropical rainforests of New Guinea, the Solomon Islands, & a small section of Australia
1708405339053.jpeg

Bluegrass Garden by Bert Emanuel
Four standard instruments of Bluegrass music in their typical location, under the trees, among the bushes, flowers, & grass. Acoustic instruments, needing no electric outlets to plug into.
The blue diamonds are Banjo melody notes. Brown rectangles represent guitar rythym chords. Orange pear shapes are mandolin notes. Purple lines are beats of the bass fiddle, providing the depth and foundation of the songs.
1708405533746.jpeg

Last edited:
It is your art just as other expressions are art also even if you don't like it
Some things in museums & galleries are art. Some other things are ridiculous scams. Sad that some of the scams sell for hundreds of MILLIONS of $$$. Enough to house every homeless American.

Last edited:
Not that I have any interest in being a sole arbiter, but Why ?

Are you saying that junk like stuff by Jackson Pollock's "art" is actually art? If so, you are just another sucker in th art world, and you should learn to distinguish between real art and scam art.

View attachment 905206

So-called art "experts" call this abstract expressionism. :rolleyes:

There is one word that comes to mind regarding what this expresses.
The word is NOTHING.
Who knows how someone becomes a world famous and wealthy artist and someone 20 times better languishes in anonymity. Jackson Pollock's work looks like they were done by a six year old with a squirt gun. Colleges have entire theoretical courses devoted to such genius. If you have ever seen anything by Barnett Newman you would be bemused and perplexed. The canvas is divided in half or sometimes thirds and each section painted a different color. His work sells for millions. He is one of the most important artists of our time.

The two most important things about art is, you enjoy creating it and someone else enjoys looking at it. Nothing else matters. Not to anyone.

Forum List

Back