Swine Flu Alert!!!!!!

Might as well let the kids brave diptheria, smallpox and polio, too. After all, not very many will die of it. Initially. Besides which, they're just kids and therefore of no value.

SHIT!! tha PIGFLUISGONNAKILLUSALL!!!!!
twisters.gif

We could demand that those who were freaking out in here and declaring a full on state of emergency, to come before us in this thread and admit their herd-like stupidity.

We shall not do so though, as we are above the din of the hooples.

Though part of me would like to go Swearengen on their pathetic, pinched little faces...

No one was freaking out Franky. We were stating the facts: that this strand of flu was more virulent than the seasonal flu and that it was prudent to take measures to avoid it, to include the vaccine. We specifically stated that this wasn't the "superflu" from the stand.

It was you that seemed determined to crook the facts, even to the point of blatantly distorting the statistics. When your bullshit was called out, you ran away and this is the first time you have resurfaced on this matter to claim some sort of victory.

And that is what this issue is all about for you, your pride. You aren't concerned with swine flu as a public health concern, you just can't stand being wrong.

BTW, on that note, have you ever considered that a two week drop in positive test results might be due to the efforts of the CDC?

There is a greater statistical chance you will kill your own kids than they will die of swine flu.

As if that means anything.

On the one hand, you have death from an avoidable pathogen.

On the other hand, you have death from the hands of a parent.

Those are both awesome outcomes, Franky. But that is how idiotic this topic makes you act.

You know what? More people die from car accidents than most medical conditions every year.

That means we should abandon all medicine.

I had the swine flu a month ago..it wasn't that bad. Mucho green/yellow mucus. Kinda colorfull. Drink all the liquids you can stand.. OJ and lotsa water....day and night nyquil.

So pretty much like the regular old flu.

Why were so many so afraid????

Stupidity??

I can't say it was without worry. I understand it gets bad fast. Most died of pneumonia. I just took a week off and laid around and slept.

I had the swine flu a month ago..it wasn't that bad. Mucho green/yellow mucus. Kinda colorfull. Drink all the liquids you can stand.. OJ and lotsa water....day and night nyquil.

Stupidity??

I can't say it was without worry. I understand it gets bad fast. Most died of pneumonia. I just took a week off and laid around and slept.

It will be interesting to do a year-to-year comparison of I&P deaths to see if this year was statistically significant over previous years.

I don't believe it will be - the current rate if infection is dropping quite fast , as I predicted a couple of weeks ago. I can't take all the credit for that though as the medical professionals I spoke with at that time, including the head of the county health board, told me that all indications were that the swine flu was less virulent than the regular year to year flu. For the vast majority of the population symptoms were rather mild, and recovery was quick.

A small percentage of children - most with already existing medical conditions, were at an increased risk, but the overall population of American children were not. The actual numbers are bearing that out...

Stupidity??

It will be interesting to do a year-to-year comparison of I&P deaths to see if this year was statistically significant over previous years.

I don't believe it will be - the current rate if infection is dropping quite fast , as I predicted a couple of weeks ago. I can't take all the credit for that though as the medical professionals I spoke with at that time, including the head of the county health board, told me that all indications were that the swine flu was less virulent than the regular year to year flu. For the vast majority of the population symptoms were rather mild, and recovery was quick.

A small percentage of children - most with already existing medical conditions, were at an increased risk, but the overall population of American children were not. The actual numbers are bearing that out...

They are already comparing the numbers, and the numbers exceed previous years infection, mortality, and morbidity rates, and you know it.

They are already comparing the numbers, and the numbers exceed previous years infection, mortality, and morbidity rates, and you know it.

Year over year?

I have not seen that. I have seen blurbs regarding higher rates than normally seen for this time of year, but this flu season started earlier, and with the swine flu, is ending earlier as well. A similar process already occurred in the southern hemisphere, where overall mortality rates were minimal given the wild predictions - and that is with populations w/o any vaccine.

The larger danger this flu season is not the swine flu - it is the regular flu. There is now a shortage of "regular" flu vaccines - and the elderly, who are much more at risk of flu-related death than children were from the swine flu, could be compromised as a result.

Hopefully we do not have a sizeable outbreak of regular seasonal flu this year. If all we have to deal with is the swine flu this season, it will prove much easier on the population. (minus the fabricated hysteria of course...)

Year over year?

I have not seen that. I have seen blurbs regarding higher rates than normally seen for this time of year, but this flu season started earlier, and with the swine flu, is ending earlier as well. A similar process already occurred in the southern hemisphere, where overall mortality rates were minimal given the wild predictions - and that is with populations w/o any vaccine.

The larger danger this flu season is not the swine flu - it is the regular flu. There is now a shortage of "regular" flu vaccines - and the elderly, who are much more at risk of flu-related death than children were from the swine flu, could be compromised as a result.

Hopefully we do not have a sizeable outbreak of regular seasonal flu this year. If all we have to deal with is the swine flu this season, it will prove much easier on the population. (minus the fabricated hysteria of course...)

Knock yourself out:

CDC - Seasonal Influenza (Flu) - Flu Activity & Surveillance

Furthermore, just so the facts are not distorted (as you have a habit of doing):

November 13, 2009, 11:30 AM

During the week of November 1-7, 2009, a review of key indictors found that certain indicators declined, while others continued to rise. Overall, flu activity in the United Sates remained very high. Below is a summary of the most recent key indicators:

* Visits to doctors for influenza-like illness (ILI) nationally decreased this week over last week. This is the second week of national decreases in ILI after four consecutive weeks of sharp increases. (All regions but one showed declines in ILI. Region I (CT, ME, MA, NH, RI and VT) continues to show sharp increases in ILI activity. While ILI declined overall nationally, visits to doctors for influenza-like illness remain higher than what is seen during the peak of many regular flu seasons.
* Total influenza hospitalization rates for laboratory-confirmed flu continue to climb and remain higher than expected for this time of year. Hospitalization rates continue to be highest in younger populations with the highest hospitalization rate reported in children 0-4 years old.
* The proportion of deaths attributed to pneumonia and influenza (P&I) based on the 122 Cities Report continues to increase and has been higher than what is expected for six weeks now. In addition, 35 flu-related pediatric deaths were reported this week: 26 of these deaths were associated with laboratory confirmed 2009 H1N1; eight were influenza A viruses, but were not subtyped; and one was an influenza B virus. Since April 2009, CDC has received reports of 156 laboratory-confirmed pediatric 2009 H1N1 deaths, one influenza B death, and another 23 pediatric deaths that were laboratory confirmed as influenza, but the flu virus subtype was not determined.
* Forty-six states are reporting widespread influenza activity at this time; a decline of two states over last week. They are: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, and Wyoming. This many reports of widespread activity at this time of year are unprecedented during seasonal flu.
* Almost all of the influenza viruses identified so far continue to be 2009 H1N1 influenza A viruses. These viruses remain similar to the virus chosen for the 2009 H1N1 vaccine, and remain susceptible to the antiviral drugs oseltamivir and zanamivir with rare exception

*All data are preliminary and may change as more reports are received.
CDC H1N1 Flu | Situation Update

Just to note, this virus IS more virulent than the seasonal flu. You are the only person who is claiming otherwise, though the numbers continue to smack you in the face.

Now as for your most recent, wild-assed, claims (which I bolded).

You are the first person I have seen suggest that the (swine) flu season is going to end in mid-November. Is that based on anything more than your WAGs?

Secondly, the two Brisbane strains that are in the seasonal flu vax have been non-players this season.

It's certainly true that the flu has dropped over the past two weeks. That could be an anomaly or indicative of something. I find it hilarious that the CDC is screwed either way on this issue as far as you guys are concerned. If flu prevalence drops due to preventative measures, then you guys claim that it was never a big deal. If the flu becomes rampant and a major problem, you guys will be crying about how little the CDC did.

Considering your track record for being wrong and distortion over this issue, I find your need to gloat over this issue particularly funny.

And despite what the sky is falling din of the media might lead one to believe (or in some cases it appears - want to believe) signficant figures in the scientific community have been calling for calm regarding the swine flu. Unfortunately, such opinion does not make for good news or heightened drama, so it has been largely drowned out by hysteria.

Here we see Doctor Marc Lipsitch of Harvard explaining a couple months ago what is now proving to in fact be correct - this swine flu is simply a mild version of the flu...

__

updated 9:55 a.m. PT, Wed., Sept . 16, 2009

WASHINGTON - The death rate from the pandemic H1N1 swine flu is likely lower than earlier estimates, an expert in infectious diseases said on Wednesday.

New estimates suggest that the death rate compares to a moderate year of seasonal influenza, said Dr. Marc Lipsitch of Harvard University.

"It's mildest in kids. That's one of the really good pieces of news in this pandemic," Lipsitch told a meeting of flu experts being held by the U.S. Institute of Medicine.

"Barring any changes in the virus, I think we can say we are in a category 1 pandemic. This has not become clear until fairly recently."

The Pandemic Severity Index set by the U.S. government has five categories of pandemic, with a category 1 being comparable to a seasonal flu epidemic...

Expert: H1N1 death rate similar to seasonal flu - Swine flu- msnbc.com

Now if you take the widely approved 36,000 or so flu deaths per year average in the United States, we have -according to the current estimates coming from the CDC of up to 4000 H1N1-related deaths this year. Now despite the current trends showing a considerable decline in flu cases, you can go ahead and double that number to 8000. (Which is likely far too high given the current and considerable rate of decline)

That is 8000 in a year vs 36,000 per year average from the regular old flu virus.

"It's mildest in kids. That's one of the really good pieces of news in this pandemic," Lipsitch told a meeting of flu experts being held by the U.S. Institute of Medicine.

Looks like he was wrong on that one.

Number of Influenza-Associated Pediatric

Pediatric deaths dimwit. Sinatra is talking about TOTAL deaths.

Looks like reading comprehension isn't your strong suit.

Feel free to read the past few posts over to see where you fucked up in your logic, and then report back.

Or don't (and continue to look like a knucklehead). Your choice.

I'll even give you a nudge: figure out who "he" is and you'll see who "was wrong on that one".

Re-read Sinatra's post. Sinatra's source was proven wrong, as geauxtohell clearly stated. That's what happens when you cite a two-month-old article.

Your use of "dimwit" is ironic, no?

updated 9:55 a.m. PT, Wed., Sept . 16, 2009
This data was old when Sinatra cited it a month ago, yet here he is again, re-hashing the same old outdated BS.

*sighs*

Last edited:

Feel free to read the past few posts over to see where you fucked up in your logic, and then report back.

I'll even give you a nudge: figure out who "he" is and you'll see who "was wrong on that one".

The quoted article in post #50 states, "Seasonal flu is usually far worse among the elderly, who make up 90 percent of the deaths every year. In contrast, this flu is attacking younger adults and older children, but they are not dying of it at the same rate as the elderly, Lipsitch said."

Sinatra was talking about TOTAL deaths. You decide to key in on the young. Didn't bother to read the artcle did you? You took it out of context. It is your fail. 98% reading comprehension btw. Take Obama's advice eagleseven. Don't jump to conclusions.

Last edited:

The quoted article in post #50 states, "Seasonal flu is usually far worse among the elderly, who make up 90 percent of the deaths every year. In contrast, this flu is attacking younger adults and older children, but they are not dying of it at the same rate as the elderly, Lipsitch said."

Sinatra was talking about TOTAL deaths. You decide to key in on the young. Didn't bother to read the artcle did you? You took it out of context. It is your fail. 98% reading comprehension btw. Take Obama's advice eagleseven. Don't jump to conclusions.

I read the article, and since you are going to try and weasel out of looking like a fool, let me be more specific: I was responding to Dr. Lipsitch two-month-old-claim that:

I then provided the current data that displayed that to not be true.

You apparently misunderstood that, piped off, and now look silly.

I could care less who you think own's the "fail". My ego is not so fragile that I have to be right on internet message boards and can't admit to making an error.

You are apparently the other guy.

Thanks for trying to bring some much needed light into the self-imposed factual darkness some in this thread are immersing themselves in.

There has been a marginally higher number of kids who have died from swine flu over regular flu - that is true, but that number still represents a minute segment of the overall pediatric population in the US.

What the cited source was declaring, based upon previous months of the swine flu in the US, as well as even more recent evidence in the Southern Hemisphere, is that for the vast majority of youth, the swine flu is in fact less harmful than the regular flu. I saw this first hand - and it was repeated by every medical professional I spoke with personally on this issue. For a very limited segment of the population, the swine flu posed an increased risk. For 99.9% of the remaining population, the risk was no more, and perhaps less, than the regular flu.

The statistics are showing that assessment to in fact be true - while some in here refuse to admit to that, the rest of America is coming around to it, and likely, as happened with Avian Flu, SARS, West Nile, Hunta,,,etc, quickly forgetting their participation in this most current example of near-baseless hysteria as no one likes to admit playing the fool...

You took it out of context. It is your fail. 98% reading comprehension btw. Take Obama's advice eagleseven. Don't jump to conclusions.
This is what Sinatra cited, and it is wrong:

Sinatra said:
WASHINGTON - The death rate from the pandemic H1N1 swine flu is likely lower than earlier estimates, an expert in infectious diseases said on Wednesday.

New estimates suggest that the death rate compares to a moderate year of seasonal influenza, said Dr. Marc Lipsitch of Harvard University.

"Barring any changes in the virus, I think we can say we are in a category 1 pandemic. This has not become clear until fairly recently."

The Pandemic Severity Index set by the U.S. government has five categories of pandemic, with a category 1 being comparable to a seasonal flu epidemic...

Is English your second language?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back