Support the fast food workers

Yeah, get rid of the phones, cable, fancy TVs, and other stuff you don't know you can't afford and see how much farther that paycheck goes.

You have no idea what you are talking about. Why do you hate the working poor so much?
Because, after ten years of working for low wage, I simply cannot bring Myself to have any sympathy.

Perhaps, and I know this is a long shot for you, but just perhaps, the problem isnt' the wage, but the person?

I have always earned top wages. Thirty dollars an hour was my norm.

The email below is from Nancy Salgado, who makes $8.25 an hour working at a McDonald's in Chicago. Nancy started a petition on CREDO Mobilize, where activists can launch their own campaigns for progressive change. Will you help Nancy and thousands of her coworkers who are going on strike today to pressure fast food giants to pay their workers a fair wage by signing her petition and sharing it with your friends and family?
CREDO Mobilize
Tell America's fast-food giants: The time is now to raise wages for your workers!

" Sign the petition ►

Today I'm joining a national strike against low pay by thousands of fast food workers in cities across the country.

I'm on strike because I can't make ends meet on low hours and the $8.25/hour I make at McDonald's in Chicago. Because each month I have to make hard choices -- like which meal to skip, or which bill not to pay - just so that my kids and I can get by. No one who works for a living should have to make those choices. And I want more for my kids -- and their future -- than just barely "getting by."

Will you join me and add your name to my petition to demand that the nation's eight largest fast-food chains raise the wages of their workers today?

On behalf of striking fast-food workers across the country, I started my own campaign on CREDO's new site that allows activists to start their own petitions. My petition, which is to McDonald's, Wendy's, Burger King, Taco Bell, KFC, Pizza Hut, Domino's and Papa John's, asks the following:

Together, your restaurants employ millions of people. Millions of people, mostly adults, who can't afford rent if they want to eat. Who can't afford health care if they want to pay their bus fare. Millions of people, and more than 25% of them are parents who can't afford school supplies if they also have to buy school shoes.

Last year your combined profits were $7.35 billion. Yet you still paid most of your workers less than $11,200 a year – poverty wages. It’s shameful. And outrageous.

We call on you to raise wages for your workers.

By now, everyone knows that fast food employees like me can’t make ends meet on minimum wage or barely more. They know how incredibly profitable -- and out of touch -- the corporations we work for are. They know – and you know – that something has to change. Starting now.

We need to know you have our backs -- please help us send the fast food chains we work for a message that people are with us in this fight.

Add your name to my petition to demand that the nation's eight largest fast-food chains raise the wages of their workers today.

Thank you for your support.

Nancy Salgado

Sign the petition ►
CREDO Mobilize helps activists like you make progressive change and fight regressive policies by creating online petitions. Click here to start a petition today."

I have signed this petition. Go here to sign. National strike: Help us be loud! | CREDO Mobilize

My problem with this is, is working at McDonalds the best way to support yout children? why do people in fast food expect to support families on menial wages?

Not only am I not signing the petition, I'll make a point to visit the local fast food joint on strike day to support the business owners. I very seldom eat at fast food places, but in this case I must. The first time in my life that I ever had Chick Fil A was to show my support for the company when gays wanted to boycott. Now it is time to show with my wallet what my opinion is.

I sincerely hope a striker slashes your tires and/or busts you in the head with a bat.

Don't come crying if one does.

I live in Los Angeles. I walked.

There were no strikers. Just the usual lunch time office workers. No one tried to hit me and no one got shot.

I hope that Nancy is not one of the thousands of workers who be laid off because of that raise in pay, because that is exactly what is going to happen.
You will find many front counter workers replaced with computer screens.
Then where will high school and college students go to get jobs for the summer.

I hope that Nancy is not one of the thousands of workers who be laid off because of that raise in pay, because that is exactly what is going to happen.

CEO pay has risen 875% vs 4% for american workers the past few years yet you side with the ceos. What a royalist.

CEO pay has risen 875% vs 4% for american workers the past few years yet you side with the ceos.

Because it's none of my business what somebody else is being paid. How is it your's exactly? Maybe if you put as much energy into improving your own lot in life as you do in seething in jealousy of others you'd be a more successful and happy person.

It seems that the targeted restaurants were chosen by the SEIU. The strikers were really union thugs.

When Wal Mart wanted to build a new store in Chinatown, hundreds of community activists turned out in a massive protest against the store. The protesters were all black and hispanic hired for the purpose of carrying signs that said "not in my community". The Chinese, whose community it was, wanted the store and had lobbied Walmart to get it. This new protest seems to be much the same thing.

CEO pay has risen 875% vs 4% for american workers the past few years yet you side with the ceos.

Because it's none of my business what somebody else is being paid. How is it your's exactly? Maybe if you put as much energy into improving your own lot in life as you do in seething in jealousy of others you'd be a more successful and happy person.

It's my business because I am an American and it's the American way to care about the downtrodden and exploited brothers and sisters in their fight against corporatism.

It's all public record. This is not Iran.

It seems that the targeted restaurants were chosen by the SEIU. The strikers were really union thugs.

When Wal Mart wanted to build a new store in Chinatown, hundreds of community activists turned out in a massive protest against the store. The protesters were all black and hispanic hired for the purpose of carrying signs that said "not in my community". The Chinese, whose community it was, wanted the store and had lobbied Walmart to get it. This new protest seems to be much the same thing.
Provide proof please. Do you work for walmart management?

Together, your restaurants employ millions of people. Millions of people, mostly adults, who can't afford rent if they want to eat. Who can't afford health care if they want to pay their bus fare. Millions of people, and more than 25% of them are parents who can't afford school supplies if they also have to buy school shoes......Thank you for your support.

Nancy Salgado

Sign the petition ►

:eusa_eh:

Cannot afford rent and food, health care and bus fare, childrens' shoes and school supplies.

:eusa_eh:

Yet, Nancy, you can find time to bitch and moan.

Sounds like you need to apply for a second job.

CEO pay has risen 875% vs 4% for american workers the past few years yet you side with the ceos. What a royalist.

I never said anything at all about CEO pay.
I stated what is going to happen when low wage earners get more pay. That's facts.

How many low wage earners can run many companies of which thousands of workers are making a very decent wage. None.
You can not compare large companies to fast food franchises. The two are very different and totally run differently.

I stated what is going to happen when low wage earners get more pay. That's facts.

How many low wage earners can run many companies of which thousands of workers are making a very decent wage. None.
You can not compare large companies to fast food franchises. The two are very different and totally run differently.
Watch the movie "Changing Places".

McDonalds is a corporation.

The Fast Food strikers are being organized by the Service Employees International Union.
Just think, they will get a raise and then their money will be taken by Union Dues.
Fast food strikes to massively expand: ?They?re thinking much bigger? - Salon.com

The Fast Food strikers are being organized by the Service Employees International Union.
Just think, they will get a raise and then their money will be taken by Union Dues.
Fast food strikes to massively expand: ?They?re thinking much bigger? - Salon.com

Scare tactics by exaggeration.

Watch the movie "Changing Places".

McDonalds is a corporation.

McDonalds is a corporation but it does not sell hamburgers. It sells franchises and the franchise sells hamburgers. Those who work making the hamburgers have nothing to say about what the corporate executives make since they don't work for the corporation.

Forum List

Back