Support the fast food workers

Snookie

Groovy Dude
Jan 24, 2013
virginia
The email below is from Nancy Salgado, who makes $8.25 an hour working at a McDonald's in Chicago. Nancy started a petition on CREDO Mobilize, where activists can launch their own campaigns for progressive change. Will you help Nancy and thousands of her coworkers who are going on strike today to pressure fast food giants to pay their workers a fair wage by signing her petition and sharing it with your friends and family?
CREDO Mobilize
Tell America's fast-food giants: The time is now to raise wages for your workers!

" Sign the petition ►

Today I'm joining a national strike against low pay by thousands of fast food workers in cities across the country.

I'm on strike because I can't make ends meet on low hours and the $8.25/hour I make at McDonald's in Chicago. Because each month I have to make hard choices -- like which meal to skip, or which bill not to pay - just so that my kids and I can get by. No one who works for a living should have to make those choices. And I want more for my kids -- and their future -- than just barely "getting by."

Will you join me and add your name to my petition to demand that the nation's eight largest fast-food chains raise the wages of their workers today?

On behalf of striking fast-food workers across the country, I started my own campaign on CREDO's new site that allows activists to start their own petitions. My petition, which is to McDonald's, Wendy's, Burger King, Taco Bell, KFC, Pizza Hut, Domino's and Papa John's, asks the following:

Together, your restaurants employ millions of people. Millions of people, mostly adults, who can't afford rent if they want to eat. Who can't afford health care if they want to pay their bus fare. Millions of people, and more than 25% of them are parents who can't afford school supplies if they also have to buy school shoes.

Last year your combined profits were $7.35 billion. Yet you still paid most of your workers less than $11,200 a year – poverty wages. It’s shameful. And outrageous.

We call on you to raise wages for your workers.

By now, everyone knows that fast food employees like me can’t make ends meet on minimum wage or barely more. They know how incredibly profitable -- and out of touch -- the corporations we work for are. They know – and you know – that something has to change. Starting now.

We need to know you have our backs -- please help us send the fast food chains we work for a message that people are with us in this fight.

Add your name to my petition to demand that the nation's eight largest fast-food chains raise the wages of their workers today.

Thank you for your support.

Nancy Salgado

Sign the petition ►
CREDO Mobilize helps activists like you make progressive change and fight regressive policies by creating online petitions. Click here to start a petition today."

I have signed this petition. Go here to sign. http://www.credomobilize.com/petiti...s-be-loud-1?akid=8769.7173174.R0mCj0&rd=1&t=3

Last edited:
Millions of people, mostly adults, who can't afford rent if they want to eat.
And immediately off the rails with the hyperbole meter pegged at 11.

She is basically saying people who work in fast food restaurants are either starving or homeless. What a crock of shit, I submit the overwhelming majority are neither. Hell I'd wonder what percentage have smart phones.

I'll support them indirectly by buying a big mac today.

She is basically saying people who work in fast food restaurants are either starving or homeless. What a crock of shit, I submit the overwhelming majority are neither. Hell I'd wonder what percentage have smart phones.

You know little about low paid workers.

This started with a few places and is really growing.

The government didn't want to get involved..and it shouldn't now.

Because soon, the fast food industry is going to ask for help.

Not only am I not signing the petition, I'll make a point to visit the local fast food joint on strike day to support the business owners. I very seldom eat at fast food places, but in this case I must. The first time in my life that I ever had Chick Fil A was to show my support for the company when gays wanted to boycott. Now it is time to show with my wallet what my opinion is.

Yeah, get rid of the phones, cable, fancy TVs, and other stuff you don't know you can't afford and see how much farther that paycheck goes.

You have no idea what you are talking about. Why do you hate the working poor so much?

You know little about low paid workers.

No, you are just full of shit.

Workplace study: 45% of food-service workers smoke - USATODAY.com
Workplace study: 45% of food-service workers smoke

If you break smokers down by their occupations, the workers who are most likely to smoke are in the food-service industry, says a report from the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. Out of all U.S. full-time employees ages 18 to 64, more than 33.6 million (28% of the total) smoked cigarettes in the past month. Yet almost 45% of food-service workers reported smoking cigarettes in that time.

Yup, sure sounds like most of have to choose between eating and rent. No spare money at all.

I'll bet this stupid shit goes about as far as the boycott by the left of Chic-Fil-A did.

These lefty morons think that money just appears out of thin air.

I'd say they were stupid Democrats, but that would be redundant.

The unions were able to muster up a crowd of 200 to stop one franchise from opening. Every worker at that outlet should be fired. Every one. There should be a backlash from business owners to shell shock the nation.

I don't usually eat fast food, but today I will. I actually don't care if I throw it out. This is one of those days where you have to show up and be counted.

Yeah, get rid of the phones, cable, fancy TVs, and other stuff you don't know you can't afford and see how much farther that paycheck goes.

You have no idea what you are talking about. Why do you hate the working poor so much?

He knows what he's talking about, YOU do not.

What do you two work at the same Burger King together or something? you should of stayed in school. Btw at a Wendys right now.

Forum List

Back