Sunlight Begins to Show Devastation in SoCal Fire Storm

I will say the good side of humanity is on display here. Hundreds of people with horse trailers turned up to brave the fire to remove horses, thousands from all over the US are donating food and clothing, not one report of vandalism with over ten thousand evacuated, and nothing but optimism in the midst of pain and suffering for almost 200 families who lost homes and everything they owned here in the Christmas season.
You can't believe what you don't hear. I am up in Bel Air several times a week. I have friends up there. The looters were streaming into Bel Air as the evacuated were leaving. Homes on fire were being looted. The police did nothing. This was just property.
That's LA, I expect such behavior there.

With having so many horses and the fire near I was shocked to see they waited so long to get them out. Anyone with experience with horses know they spook easily. It’s really sad something wasn’t done sooner to get them all out. I know some it was impossible, but seeing the scene there, makes me believe they waited to late to try to round them up and get them out.
These are from last night and this morning. The single digit humidity wind was so strong the smoke could not rise and was pushed horizontally out to sea. Of course that sent embers ahead making the fire expand by leaps and bounds. I know dozens of homes are lost, count will be made today. Dozens of race horses were lost as well. Fortunately no fatalities yet. Going to be a long day in crisis management.
24837451_10212871354531387_4283855918760155822_o.jpg

24899675_1557945770959476_2770043512227571419_n.jpg

24862628_1557968094290577_2750428680795226374_n.jpg

Here is Leo trying to save as many horses as he could.

All occurred in the first hour.

Well the mustang herds in So Cal are going to get a new boost of prime blood it looks like. Those seem to be thoroughbreds for the race track. But there are arabs and quarter horses, oldenburgs and other warmbloods being let loose too. Gotta be a stallion or ten in the mix too with all those mares. Probably won't get all of them rounded up again this Winter. When they get loose in a big herd in the wild you'd be surprised how quick old Trigger and Trixie return to their wild and unmanageable instincts.

With more feral horses eating down all the brush and tall dry grasses, might be less of a fire hazard? Wild horses do browse on brush shoots when grass is scarce. So there's a good twist on these fires in a way.
The only Mustang herds in SoCal.
image.jpeg

This is beyond all politics and anger. I am on the east coast of the United States. All I can do is pray, contribute money, and hope that all people and animals are lead out to safety. And please, don't lock your horses in stalls.
This is the horror of the international 24-four hour news cycle: that we all are able to see terrible things going on in real time, but cannot help in any meaningful, practical way. One uplifting thing that I saw on the BBC was a man stopping in the flames to help a rabbit, who got that rabbit to safety. Kudos and prayers to all of you in California fighting a tremendous fight. What else is there to say?

This is beyond all politics and anger. I am on the east coast of the United States. All I can do is pray, contribute money, and hope that all people and animals are lead out to safety. And please, don't lock your horses in stalls.
This is the horror of the international 24-four hour news cycle: that we all are able to see terrible things going on in real time, but cannot help in any meaningful, practical way. One uplifting thing that I saw on the BBC was a man stopping in the flames to help a rabbit, who got that rabbit to safety. Kudos and prayers to all of you in California fighting a tremendous fight. What else is there to say?

Contribute money! Who do you think these people are? They are multimillionaires. My friends evacuated to the Beverly Hilton! This is Bel Air, Encino, the highest end of the highest end. There aren't fearful people in Church basements and High School gyms. They don't need blankets and unless you have a pipeline to caviar, don't bother with feeding the multitudes.

Contribute money! Who do you think these people are? They are multimillionaires. My friends evacuated to the Beverly Hilton! This is Bel Air, Encino, the highest end of the highest end. There aren't fearful people in Church basements and High School gyms. They don't need blankets and unless you have a pipeline to caviar, don't bother with feeding the multitudes.
There are hundreds of low and middle income people impacted.

There are hundreds of low and middle income people impacted.
Not here.

Forum List

Back