Sunken Treasure Ship Worth Billions Possibly Found After 300 Years

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
They're making headlines as if this just happened. When one reads further, we discover that an American firm claims to have found the ship in 1981! And it's been tied up in courts ever since. Who owns the gold, silver, and emeralds worth between an estimated $4 - $17 BILLION? Colombia where it sailed from? How about Peru where it came from:? France whose flag it sailed under? Spain?

This should be interesting. Read more @ Sunken Treasure Ship Worth Billions Possibly Found After 300 Years

I suspect it will end up being split between Spain, who controlled Colombia and Peru as colonies, and France, as the ship was flagged. Peru and Colombia will get a cut and the salvagers will as well, at least before they get raped by all the taxes.

If it was me, I'd have salvaged it back in the 80s and not told a soul and just slowly sold off the pieces. I'd have taken plenty of pictures and disclosed the location of the wreck in my will, but that's about it.

South Korean firm backs off $133B 'treasure ship' claim amid probe

Oops! The exciting “discovery” seems to be a bit on the shaky side.

A South Korean treasure hunting company walked back its claim Thursday of having found a sunken Russian warship filled with $133 billion worth of gold as financial regulators began investigating whether the outlandish tale involved stock market fraud.

The Seoul-based Shinil Group is now saying it doesn't know if gold would be found inside the sunken vessel, identified as the Dmitrii Donskoi – a Russian warship built in the 1880s that sank in 1905 during the war with Japan.

More @ South Korean firm backs off $133B 'treasure ship' claim amid probe

Forum List

Back