Suicidal Threat. Lawsuit. Bullying. All This and Teaching Too....

SweetSue92

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2018
USA
This story is just a layered onion of misery and misfortune, believe me. I am NOT downplaying the suffering of this 17 year old or his mother.

But I am wondering how this miracle workers here who are forever bashing the public schools would hope to solve this culture and societal morass we now find ourselves in.

What? Tell the suicidal kid sit your butt down and do your chemistry?

Too bad, I don't have time for your breakdown, we have tests to take?

The folks in the capitol want you to know your mental problems are of no concern to me--we have standardized tests to pass?

Remember, this is ONE student. A good number of the rest of them are from unstable homes and need a lot more from stable adults than deadlines about history tests that mean seemingly nothing to them.

Feel free to weigh in with REAL solutions, fellow conservatives.

In 2018, Mia Holguin’s 17-year-old son told a Tranquillity High School teacher he was having thoughts of killing himself.

The teacher walked the special education student to his next class and then waited until school ended that day – about three hours later – to notify Holguin.

Holguin said she asked the school district for help for her son after he experienced the emotional crisis in school, but nobody listened.

A judge in July ruled the Golden Plains Unified School District, which oversees Tranquillity High and five other schools in western Fresno County, failed Holguin’s son and ordered the district to make changes that include training special education staff and other updates.

The Fresno Bee is not naming Holguin’s son because he is an alleged victim of bullying.

After the situation with her son happened, Holguin turned to the state’s Office of Administrative Hearings for help. An administrative law judge decided Golden Plains had a duty to “assess the student’s mental health needs following his emotional crisis at school on (Nov.) 7, 2018, and disclosure of suicidal (thoughts), but failed to do so.”

The school district had already failed to assess him properly a few months earlier in April 2018, according to the decision.

In failing to assess the student’s needs, Golden Plains also deprived the student of an appropriate learning plan. The decision further states, that Golden Plains failed to provide sufficient psychological and counseling services.

https://www.fresnobee.com/news/local/article232853837.html

I don't consider this "culture and societal morass". Personally I probably would have ruled against the school unless you could show me a specific law that required them to do more than they did. Schools are placed for education, not mental health counseling. Mom failed the child by trying to pawn her duty to him as a parent off on the school system.

I don't consider this "culture and societal morass". Personally I probably would have ruled against the school unless you could show me a specific law that required them to do more than they did. Schools are placed for education, not mental health counseling. Mom failed the child by trying to pawn her duty to him as a parent off on the school system.

Um yes there are a multitude of laws that "require them to do more than they did", notably the disability laws that have been in place for decades now.

IEPs, 504s, etc.

When you folks rail and moan about "schools are a place for education, not mental health counseling" you really have NO IDEA what you're talking about. I mean that. Schools have become de facto Child Rearing Centers and when we can't do that, we are sued.

And yes indeed, THAT is a "cultural and societal morass".

Reopen State Mental Hospitals!

Yes, I'm sure the very active Parent Advocacy Groups with special needs kids who actually show up at School Board meetings will love that.

The Talking Point Spewers on this board are out in full force I see

Homeschool

Public schools are not for everyone

Should the government force parents to homeschool their kids then, even though the government forces people to pay school taxes?

Do answer the question

Um yes there are a multitude of laws that "require them to do more than they did", notably the disability laws that have been in place for decades now.

IEPs, 504s, etc.

When you folks rail and moan about "schools are a place for education, not mental health counseling" you really have NO IDEA what you're talking about. I mean that. Schools have become de facto Child Rearing Centers and when we can't do that, we are sued.

Then please cite one of these specific state laws you proclaim to exist as so far all you have referenced are educational plans that have nothing to do with suicide watches.

IEPs, 504s, etc.

Then please cite one of these specific state laws you proclaim to exist as so far all you have referenced are educational plans that have nothing to do with suicide watches.

Those would be the Americans with Disabilities Act and most particularly the Individuals with Disabilities in Education Act (IDEA)

At a Glance: Which Laws Do What

wheres her dad ?
no family ? grandparents ? aunts ? uncles ? cousins ? family friends ?
no guidance counselors ? teachers ? lunch ladies ?

they arrest little boys for drawing guns today ...but this one no one could give a rats ass about ?

IEPs, 504s, etc.

Those would be the Americans with Disabilities Act and most particularly the Individuals with Disabilities in Education Act (IDEA)

Still got nothing I see. The ADA mandates that people with disabilities not be discriminated against. This school system did nothing to discriminate against him. You have some ax to grind about how horrible it is for parents with disabled kids and are just picking the wrong board to be diving off of.

IEPs, 504s, etc.

Still got nothing I see. The ADA mandates that people with disabilities not be discriminated against. This school system did nothing to discriminate against him. You have some ax to grind about how horrible it is for parents with disabled kids and are just picking the wrong board to be diving off of.

I'm going to give you ONE more chance and that's it. Go to the link--CLICK on it--and read all that a school district must provide under IDEA, by law.

wheres her dad ?
no family ? grandparents ? aunts ? uncles ? cousins ? family friends ?
no guidance counselors ? teachers ? lunch ladies ?

they arrest little boys for drawing guns today ...but this one no one could give a rats ass about ?

The teacher reported the suicide threat but waited until the end of the day. This sounds terrible but I know how easily this can happen. Teachers have a million and three things to handle at any given time--and a dozen fires to put out. Teacher walked child to next class, probably got waylaid by some other emergency, and didn't get back to this until the end of the day. Also, we don't really know how this was delivered. Yes, it was serious and could not be ignored, but there are all kinds of other details.

And again note that none of this involves educating a child in academics. All this is ONE child and emotional/mental wellness, bullying and suicide threats. One. Not educating.

And people wonder why kids aren't learning.

I submit to the Education Forum that the responses here is a great indicator of how far out of touch everyone is with the Talking Points. I post an article highlighting just ONE of the many problems in 21st century schools and I get dopey "HOMESKOOL"....for just one consideration, the mother seems to be a single parent.

My fellow conservatives really suck at this particular issue.

This story is just a layered onion of misery and misfortune, believe me. I am NOT downplaying the suffering of this 17 year old or his mother.

But I am wondering how this miracle workers here who are forever bashing the public schools would hope to solve this culture and societal morass we now find ourselves in.

The folks in the capitol want you to know your mental problems are of no concern to me--we have standardized tests to pass?

Remember, this is ONE student. A good number of the rest of them are from unstable homes and need a lot more from stable adults than deadlines about history tests that mean seemingly nothing to them.

In 2018, Mia Holguin’s 17-year-old son told a Tranquillity High School teacher he was having thoughts of killing himself.

The teacher walked the special education student to his next class and then waited until school ended that day – about three hours later – to notify Holguin.

Holguin said she asked the school district for help for her son after he experienced the emotional crisis in school, but nobody listened.

A judge in July ruled the Golden Plains Unified School District, which oversees Tranquillity High and five other schools in western Fresno County, failed Holguin’s son and ordered the district to make changes that include training special education staff and other updates.

The Fresno Bee is not naming Holguin’s son because he is an alleged victim of bullying.

After the situation with her son happened, Holguin turned to the state’s Office of Administrative Hearings for help. An administrative law judge decided Golden Plains had a duty to “assess the student’s mental health needs following his emotional crisis at school on (Nov.) 7, 2018, and disclosure of suicidal (thoughts), but failed to do so.”

The school district had already failed to assess him properly a few months earlier in April 2018, according to the decision.

In failing to assess the student’s needs, Golden Plains also deprived the student of an appropriate learning plan. The decision further states, that Golden Plains failed to provide sufficient psychological and counseling services.

So the teacher told the mother and the mother didn't take the kid to a shrink but instead thought it was the school board's responsibility to give mental health care to her kid?

So the teacher told the mother and the mother didn't take the kid to a shrink but instead thought it was the school board's responsibility to give mental health care to her kid?

Again....when folks rail on and on about schools these days....realize that MOST people consider them Child Rearing Centers. And look, the law does too.

So yes indeed. The district "failed to assess him" and at some point he was labeled special ed. That means that indeed, every single part of his wellness, health AND education must be monitored by the district. This can include bathroom habits, diapering, feeding, counseling, you name it. Absolutely.

You think we teach academics? Pshaw. We're raising people's kids.

Forum List

Back