Study: Religious Americans more connected with community than non-religious

Sunshine

Trust the pie.
Dec 17, 2009
Read it and weep. Some on here are going to feel very vindicated, though, and the point they have been trying to make will come very clear with these new STATISTICS:

Washington (CNN) – People who are religiously active live more involved and connected lives, according to a Pew Research study released on Friday.

The study, titled “The civic and community engagement of religious active Americans,” painted a broad picture of religious Americans and found that involvement in religious organizations usually go hand-in-hand with participation in civic organizations and a positive outlook on their community.

“There is something unique about religious and spiritual involved people that contribute to their trust, positive outlook, involvement and engagement in the community,” said Jim Jansen, senior fellow at Pew and the leader of the study.

Pew asked Americans about their membership in 28 different kinds of organizations and clubs. The average person not involved with a religious organization participated in 2.11 groups. That compares to an average of 5.11 groups that religious Americans were involved in.

Study: Religious Americans more connected with community than non-religious counterparts – CNN Belief Blog - CNN.com Blogs

Of course, I believe there is evidence that some of the 'non religious' counterparts are merely religiously occupied with being obstructionists!

This study will be dismissed just as was the one that showed that conservatives give more to charity than liberals -- because church stuff doesn't count.

Right, USMB lefties?

Yeah, when the kitchen gets hot and all that.................LOL

This study will be dismissed just as was the one that showed that conservatives give more to charity than liberals -- because church stuff doesn't count.

Right, USMB lefties?

Of course you were exactly RIGHT because the ones on here, at least, are nothing but a bunch of message board trolls who idle their days away in cybersapce and prefer to spend their days hating on people like you and your frinds rather than get off their fat lazy BIGOTED asses and be useful to society! You were SO right! :lol:

Last edited:
Makes sense, really.

Those with larger social circles tend to get involved in more social events generally.

They are, for erxample, more like to get elected to public office, more like to be tapped to get involved in public charities etc.

What I fail to understand about this thread is why anyone would think this is going to upset the non-religious.

Read it and weep. Some on here are going to feel very vindicated, though, and the point they have been trying to make will come very clear with these new STATISTICS:

Washington (CNN) – People who are religiously active live more involved and connected lives, according to a Pew Research study released on Friday.

The study, titled “The civic and community engagement of religious active Americans,” painted a broad picture of religious Americans and found that involvement in religious organizations usually go hand-in-hand with participation in civic organizations and a positive outlook on their community.

“There is something unique about religious and spiritual involved people that contribute to their trust, positive outlook, involvement and engagement in the community,” said Jim Jansen, senior fellow at Pew and the leader of the study.

Pew asked Americans about their membership in 28 different kinds of organizations and clubs. The average person not involved with a religious organization participated in 2.11 groups. That compares to an average of 5.11 groups that religious Americans were involved in.

Study: Religious Americans more connected with community than non-religious counterparts – CNN Belief Blog - CNN.com Blogs

Of course, I believe there is evidence that some of the 'non religious' counterparts are merely religiously occupied with being obstructionists!

The very title sounds monstrously Pharisian.

I am more "involved and connected" in my professional and personal life than are church goers.
And within a much more unique, focally educated, and stimulative group of people.

Don't get me wrong- I'm not atheist. I'm just not Church-ish. I was born and raised in the Roman Catholic Faith. And to this day I still pray. Not to God or Christ, but to Christ's Mother only. For reasons that She once showed Herself to me.

Keep your churches and religions. I'll keep my life and I'll keep on living and I'll keep on growing - all within pastures of a natural consciousness that was meant for this natural man.

I am more "involved and connected" in my professional and personal life than are church goers.
And within a much more unique, focally educated, and stimulative group of people.

Don't get me wrong- I'm not atheist. I'm just not Church-ish. I was born and raised in the Roman Catholic Faith. And to this day I still pray. Not to God or Christ, but to Christ's Mother only. For reasons that She once showed Herself to me.

Keep your churches and religions. I'll keep my life and I'll keep on living and I'll keep on growing - all within pastures of a natural consciousness that was meant for this natural man.

That post was a little...odd...

The very title sounds monstrously Pharisian.

I didn't make it up. It's the title of the article which I found on ....ta..dah....CNN!

I coached 57 rec teams from 1991-2007. 8 football teams, 29 baseball teams-2 a year many years, 17 basketball teams and 3 soccer teams.
One of the kids I coached for many years was picked in the first round last April by the Washington Wizards.
I have worked with Habitat for Humanity and The St. Vincent DePaul society to name a few.
Many others. I had 3 families that I bought gifts for kids this year.
Where am I reported in any study anywhere?
Your study states clearly "USUALLY go hand in hand with participation".
ALL that study looked at were "28 different kinds of organizations and clubs".
Wow, what a great analysis.
Who is stupid enough to claim that study has any validity whatsoever as to who does community and charity work and who doesn't?
Do religions do great charity work? Of course they do and that is great.
But to claim the higher ground that they do more than the non religous is a crock.
The study is bogus.
Those of us that have walked the walk do not need to talk the talk.
We know that Jesus teaches that it is truly amazing how much you can get accomplished if you DO NOT CARE who gets credit for it.
Christian charity should be ANONYMOUS.
LEAVE YOUR DAMN JESUS T SHIRTS AND HATS AT HOME.

I coached 57 rec teams from 1991-2007. 8 football teams, 29 baseball teams-2 a year many years, 17 basketball teams and 3 soccer teams.
One of the kids I coached for many years was picked in the first round last April by the Washington Wizards.
I have worked with Habitat for Humanity and The St. Vincent DePaul society to name a few.
Who is stupid enough to claim that study has any validity whatsoever as to who does community and charity work and who doesn't?
But to claim the higher ground that they do more than the non religous is a crock.
The study is bogus.
We know that Jesus teaches that it is truly amazing how much you can get accomplished if you DO NOT CARE who gets credit for it.
Christian charity should be ANONYMOUS.LEAVE YOUR DAMN JESUS T SHIRTS AND HATS AT HOME.

That isn't what Jesus said:

Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

Matthew 5:16

Matthew 5:16 In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.

The study is bogus.
Christian charity should be ANONYMOUS.LEAVE YOUR DAMN JESUS T SHIRTS AND HATS AT HOME.

Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

Matthew 5:16 In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.

Uh, well, let us take a look at what Jesus said:
"And when thou prayeth, thou shall not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets THAT THEY BE SEEN BY MEN. Verily I say to you they have their reward"
Jesus said that you should do your praying in private.
Read Matthew Mark and Luke and find about 20 places where he says to pray in private.
True Christians never have to brag about how good a Christian they are in some bogus research poll on how many good works they have done.
They keep silent.
Because people will know it BY YOUR ACTIONS.
Never your tongue.

The study is bogus.

Uh, well, let us take a look at what Jesus said:
"And when thou prayeth, thou shall not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets THAT THEY BE SEEN BY MEN. Verily I say to you they have their reward"
Jesus said that you should do your praying in private.
Read Matthew Mark and Luke and find about 20 places where he says to pray in private.
True Christians never have to brag about how good a Christian they are in some bogus research poll on how many good works they have done.
They keep silent. Because people will know it BY YOUR ACTIONS.
Never your tongue.

EP-IC FAIL!

Praying is not the same act as charitable giving or doing. Of course you are not the only one who wants to silence Christians. As of yet, no religion in America has to be silent. Not a single one. Jesus said to pray in private. He said to do good works openly. You seem, in your rabid hatred, to be confusing the two.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back