Study I found.

forkup

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2016
Our friends on the right constantly claim that living in areas that are controlled by the Democrats is worse than living under Republicans.
I came across this study. Political environment and mortality rates in the United States, 2001-19: population based cross sectional analysis

So a few conclussions.

AAMR (age adjusted mortality rate) per 100 000 population decreased by 22% in Democratic counties, from 850.3 to 664.0 (average APC −1.4%, 95% confidence interval −1.5% to −1.2%), but by only 11% in Republican counties

Male and female residents of Democratic counties experienced both lower AAMR and twice the relative decrease in AAMR than did those in Republican counties.

However, the AAMR gap between white residents in Democratic versus Republican counties increased fourfold

The mortality gap in Republican voting counties compared with Democratic voting counties has grown over time, especially for white populations, and that gap began to widen after 2008.

This is before Covid, by the way, something that by all accounts will widen the disparity.

In short living under Republicans literally shortens your life expectancy.

Cool. Send your "study" to the residents of inner city Chicago, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia etc. and inform them they are actually safe. Don't bother to give them the help they actually need. It's all about the "studies".
Ever heard about posing a strawman? I never claimed people in inner cities are safe. I simply cited a study that investigated the connection between political affiliation and life expectancy. You want to argue about crime in cities? That's fine. Just not here.

Last edited:
Ever heard about posing a strawman? I never claimed people in inner cities are safe. I simply cited a study that investigated the connection between political affiliation and life expectancy. You want to argue about crime in cities. That's fine. Just not here.
You......"a study"......

Perhaps they took the wrong approach to "a study".
Cherry picked the criteria? Maybe they did.

You......"a study"......

Perhaps they took the wrong approach to "a study".
Cherry picked the criteria? Maybe they did.
Maybe. Do you have a good reason to believe that? It was age-adjusted, and the criteria differentiated even by race.

Our friends on the right constantly claim that living in areas that are controlled by the Democrats is worse than living under Republicans.
I came across this study. Political environment and mortality rates in the United States, 2001-19: population based cross sectional analysis
You left something out dummy, I think we all know why. "The greatest contributors to the widening AAMR gap between Republican and Democratic counties were heart disease, cancer, and chronic lower respiratory tract diseases" Come here fool :itsok:

My observations are anecdotal, but I would be curious to know if diet and exercise have anything to do with this. Most of your Republican areas are in the south and they don't have a healthy diet in that part of the country. I lived down there for six years and everyone loves their fried food, gravy, high caloric stuff. However, go to more Democratic areas like LA and San Francisco and there seems to be a lot more health and fitness nuts in those places.

You left something out dummy, I think we all know why. "The greatest contributors to the widening AAMR gap between Republican and Democratic counties were heart disease, cancer, and chronic lower respiratory tract diseases" Come here fool :itsok:
Which are largely affected by lifestyle choices. See my post above.

Why is that relevant? The most recognizable reason for it is that Republican-led counties are less likely to have expanded medicaid coverage. Leading to worse health outcomes. It doesn't make it better, it's the direct link to why health outcomes are worse.

Studies show larger Medicaid coverage gains and reductions in uninsured rates in expansion states compared to non-expansion states occurred across most or all of the major racial/ethnic categories. Additional research also suggests that Medicaid expansion has helped to reduce disparities in coverage by income, age, marital status, disability status, and, in some studies, race/ethnicity. The Effects of Medicaid Expansion under the ACA: Studies from January 2014 to January 2020 - Report

My observations are anecdotal, but I would be curious to know if diet and exercise have anything to do with this. Most of your Republican areas are in the south and they don't have a healthy diet in that part of the country. I lived down there for six years and everyone loves their fried food, gravy, high caloric stuff. However, go to more Democratic areas like LA and San Francisco and there seems to be a lot more health and fitness nuts in those places.
It might have some impact. What seems to be the most important reason is that they simply are less likely to have insurance.

Why is that relevant? The most recognizable reason for it is that Republican-led counties are less likely to have expanded ACA coverage. Leading to worse health outcomes. It doesn't make it better, it's the direct link to why health outcomes are worse.

Studies show larger Medicaid coverage gains and reductions in uninsured rates in expansion states compared to non-expansion states occurred across most or all of the major racial/ethnic categories. Additional research also suggests that Medicaid expansion has helped to reduce disparities in coverage by income, age, marital status, disability status, and, in some studies, race/ethnicity.
Show your proof. The OP obviously doesn't know what a rural county is, that money doesn't grow on trees, or how many dirt poor Dems live in those counties.

FFS healthcare and first responders are not as good in rural areas, emergency rooms are farther away and lack the advanced urban lifesaving capabilities.
The conditions you mentioned have little to do with emergency room access and lack of urban lifesaving capabilities.

Please try some critical thinking, this so called study is junk science.

Don't throw stones in a glass house

Show your proof. The OP obviously doesn't know what a rural county is, that money doesn't grow on trees, or how many dirt poor Dems live in those counties.

The OP never said anything about poor Democrats living in Republican counties or vice versa. The comparison is an overall comparison. Obviously, no county is purely one or the other.

Please try some critical thinking.

The OP never said anything about poor Democrats living in Republican counties or vice versa. The comparison is an overall comparison. Obviously, no county is purely one or the other.

Please try some critical thinking.
He isn't really interested in critical thinking. He can't really argue the actual facts, so he needs an excuse. Or failing that simply poses a strawman.

Forum List

Back