Study: Free birth control leads to fewer abortions; Romney wants to cut access.

Common sense tells me birth control leads to fewer abortions regardless of how it's paid for.

Common sense also tells me NOTHING in life is free.

So ... let me buy your condoms so you can have sex, is different than me giving you 10.00 bucks for a blowjob how?

In your case if you love the guy, I'm sure it's fine. Love knows no bounds.

In the macro, you pay the $10 now so you don't have much more later on.

We pay for it because the government chooses to pay for it. They are under no Constitutional obligation to do so. It is a choice, plain and simple.
We pay for it because we live in a society that has decided to do so. While I believe we are in desperate need of welfare reform, I am also under no illusion that when that comes we will end up not paying for poor women who choose to have babies they can't afford.

What you do is take babies they can't afford away from them. That's how you handle it. You give the woman nothing, not a cent, not a sou or a ha'penny, and take the child away. You give a price to pay, consequences, and when the benefit is gone, behavior changes.

When I was little and we were homeless as a chosen lifestyle, my parents lived on the street and ate out of garbage cans until a judge said "the child goes". I was taken away and sent to live with an aunt until such time as my parents got an act together, got a job and paid rent on an apartment. Had we gotten welfare instead, my Dad would never have worked a day in his life.

when i was younger my mother used food stamps till she was able to get on her feet money wise. Had she not been able to use foodstamps, things could have been worse.
While your story just sounds like that, a story, don't blanket things as good or evil just because of one situation.

That money comes from somewhere.

Don't wanna get pregnant.....keep your pants on.

Tired of paying for Sandra....

Fluke off.

So...a woman who is still young, but she and her husband have had enough children should just never have sex because they might get pregnant?

Are conservatives retarded, or are they living in a dream world?

If your married you should be adult enough to go to walmart and get a damn condom. The're is also you can do natural methods where you take your temp and chart .. You are only fertile 2 to 3 days a month.. If you chart every day you will know your safe zones and guess what that is only the cost of a Thermometer and a chart and pen . Shoot the're websites you chart your cycle.. I am so tired of excuses..
if that works for you then more power to you. You still run the risk, because no system is perfect.
If we choose to use BC then that is our choice. Regardless if Government or private pays for it, Everyone still pays for it. When my EX was on BC there was a 25$ co-pay. Where do you think the rest of that money came from?
The private insurance that pools everyones money to cover people.

Common sense tells me birth control leads to fewer abortions regardless of how it's paid for.

It's about time people paid for things that are important to them. That includes birth control. That would take priority over a car, a cell phone, an ipod, a computer. I would assume and cost a great deal less. They can budget for that.

It's free upfront to the individual and is currently being paid for by our tax dollars.

So it's not free.

And I shouldn't have to pay for the sexual habits of my neighbors

True, it may reduce the number of abortions, but regarding saving taxpayer money that is a false dichotomy predicated on the idea that we have to pay for their bastard child rather than choosing to pay for him.
You and I do have to pay for it, because that poor woman qualifies for pages of government programs and assistance she didn't qualify for as soon as that baby pops out, some even before than.

We pay for it because the government chooses to pay for it. They are under no Constitutional obligation to do so. It is a choice, plain and simple.

Which of course is a good reason to take preventative steps. As the study indicated.

It's free upfront to the individual and is currently being paid for by our tax dollars.

So it's not free.

I said eariler in the thread, it should be a state issue. However I also think welfare should be a state issue and funded by the state. That way when Mississippi chooses not to fund low cost contraceptives they can fund the consequences as well.

You and I do have to pay for it, because that poor woman qualifies for pages of government programs and assistance she didn't qualify for as soon as that baby pops out, some even before than.

Which of course is a good reason to take preventative steps. As the study indicated.

People have to start taking responsibility for their lives and his has to start NOW.

So it's not free.

then i suggest you cancel any health and car insurance you have.
Seeing how you are paying for those people who can't drive good and fat people who eat unhealthy.

Tell me something, a friend of yours parent has lung cancer because of smoking. Do you say Fuck them, i shouldnt have to pay for their own choices!

No i doubt you have the balls to say that to your friend.

So it's not free.

then i suggest you cancel any health and car insurance you have.
Seeing how you are paying for those people who can't drive good and fat people who eat unhealthy.

Tell me something, a friend of yours parent has lung cancer because of smoking. Do you say Fuck them, i shouldnt have to pay for their own choices!

No i doubt you have the balls to say that to your friend.

The difference is, taxpayers don't provide cigarettes to people who smoke. We should not have to pay for the sexual enjoyment of our neighbors the same way we don't buy people who smoke cigarettes!

So it's not free.

I said eariler in the thread, it should be a state issue. However I also think welfare should be a state issue and funded by the state. That way when Mississippi chooses not to fund low cost contraceptives they can fund the consequences as well.

Is there anything that people are going to be responsible for anymore? They get food, shelter, clothing, contraceptives, eye glasses, education, lunches and phones. Isn't this getting a bit ridiculous? Just when do people start taking some role in their own life and stop relying on their government for their own existence? If you are able bodied and able to have children, pay for it yourself. Get a friggin job!

Old, white Republican men have a better understanding of women and woman's bodies. That's why they need to be in charge.

If wimmen folks don't want me talking about them they can stop asking me to pay for their wimmen problems.

And Republicans wonder why they are seen as being anti-women.

Republicans are all for women being equals. That means they get equal pay for equal work. That means they regard women highly. They are there to give them a hand up to get out of poverty but not to give them constant hand outs to keep them in poverty. They want women to grow into proud individuals the know they can be just as men can be bread winners by the same hand up.

So it's not free.

Is there anything that people are going to be responsible for anymore? They get food, shelter, clothing, contraceptives, eye glasses, education, lunches and phones. Isn't this getting a bit ridiculous? Just when do people start taking some role in their own life and stop relying on their government for their own existence? If you are able bodied and able to have children, pay for it yourself. Get a friggin job!
Why did you quote me when you didn't respond to anything I said?

People have to start taking responsibility for their lives and his has to start NOW.

Freudian slip?

Or what? What is the alternative? Not spending the money, right? Not spending it. Then what happens? Tell me how this ends...if you would, please?

Sure...we did that with "Just Say No". The response is the largest prison population ever. We criminalized it, made it dangerous, increased the violence to deal, make, distribute it instead of making it legal, taxing it and making it safer. The result, we spend bookoo bucks on prisons. Its the price we pay for the choices we make as a society. I would wonder what the proponents of that program back in the 1980's would say if they could see it in a 2012 light.

So it's not free.

And you shouldn't have to pay for what else...entitlements, prisons, school taxes etc...right? I'm guessing you'll say no. Which is fine but the current system we have--until it's changed into a pure libertarian system where you're on your own consequences be damned...you're paying for all sorts of crapolla that you had nothing to do with. If your neighbor does blow, gets arrested and is locked up in Joplin...well thats something you're paying for; about $30K a year. Paying a few pennies (300M dollars according to Romney--$1 of your tax money) is a bargain.

I see your point though. It would be much better if people just stopped having sex. But that doesn't seem to be on the horizon.

The best idea of all, cut taxes to allow a single income house hold and allow a parent to stay home to make sure that the kids aren't promiscuous. But we like our bombers, tanks, parks, Air Force 1 and it's ridiculous expenditure, having mail delivered on Saturdays, etc...

Freudian slip?

Or what? What is the alternative? Not spending the money, right? Not spending it. Then what happens? Tell me how this ends...if you would, please?

Sure...we did that with "Just Say No". The response is the largest prison population ever. We criminalized it, made it dangerous, increased the violence to deal, make, distribute it instead of making it legal, taxing it and making it safer. The result, we spend bookoo bucks on prisons. Its the price we pay for the choices we make as a society. I would wonder what the proponents of that program back in the 1980's would say if they could see it in a 2012 light.

Okay, I missed the "t" on "this". Got that. "Just say No" ( to providing contraceptives) Got that. Now what in the hell are you talking about? criminalizing what? increasing violence about what..prisons? You lost me BIG time....

So it's not free.

And you shouldn't have to pay for what else...entitlements, prisons, school taxes etc...right? I'm guessing you'll say no. Which is fine but the current system we have--until it's changed into a pure libertarian system where you're on your own consequences be damned...you're paying for all sorts of crapolla that you had nothing to do with. If your neighbor does blow, gets arrested and is locked up in Joplin...well thats something you're paying for; about $30K a year. Paying a few pennies (300M dollars according to Romney--$1 of your tax money) is a bargain.

I see your point though. It would be much better if people just stopped having sex. But that doesn't seem to be on the horizon.

The best idea of all, cut taxes to allow a single income house hold and allow a parent to stay home to make sure that the kids aren't promiscuous. But we like our bombers, tanks, parks, Air Force 1 and it's ridiculous expenditure, having mail delivered on Saturdays, etc...

I have no problem paying for the things you listed. New entitlements, I do. What's here is here and no amount of complaining about it is going to change anything. But this new bullshit needs to be nipped in the bud before it becomes the norm.

Forum List

Back