Students attend Lesbian Wedding

"She's a really nice teacher. She's the best," said 6-year-old Chava Novogrodsky-Godt, wearing a "No on 8" button on her shirt. "I want her to have a good wedding."

Chava's mothers said they are getting married in two weeks.

So you don't think it was political ?

"It really is what we call a teachable moment," Jaroflow said, noting the historic significance of same-sex marriage and related civil rights issues. "I think I'm well within the parameters."

Said one father, Marc Lipsett, "How many days in school are they going to remember?"

Added Lipsett, "This is a day they’ll definitely remember."

As for Carder and McCoy, the newlyweds had plans to ride around town in a motorized trolley car festooned with twin messages: "Just Married" and "Vote No on 8."

Still think it wasn't a political event?
I guess I should have read the entire article, I missed that part. :redface:

Well if yes on 8 somehow passes (which I doubt) then the Right Wing will once again be able to foam from the mouth in California because they are making certain citizens get only second class rights.

Because you know, Marriage is already scarce in this country alone with least a 38% divorce rate and high as 50%. ;)

Seriously though, I find it amazing we live in the same country where Britney Spears (Sorry Brit, your the best example) can get married and have it annulled 55 hours later while some people fight 20-40 YEARS just to get the same damn rights.

I guess I should have read the entire article, I missed that part. :redface:

Not a problem Ravi, as I said earlier this is not a judgement on gay marriage when I posted the thread as it was using these children to promote a political issue which I find completely unprofessional and unethical.

Valerie, I am sure you have seen my opinion on this by now, but there are many stories on this on the net right now. Once you filter through all the editorializing which most all news gives you these days, it appears to me that it was very unwise to use these children as a political prop as can be seen by the prop 8 political buttons and stickers at the wedding and the mayor officiating. IMHO I believe it's a terrible idea to use children as props no matter what your feelings are on gay marriage.

If the parents are ok with it, I have no issues with the children being present at the wedding. If the parents didn't approve, then the children shouldn't have been there. I do, however, have issues about the children wearing buttons, but I also know that kids love that stuff (or at least mine does) because they think the buttons are cool.

I've seen children used to far more nefarous (IMO) political purposes. And, no, I don't generally approve of it, but would leave it on an issue by issue basis.

If the parents are ok with it, I have no issues with the children being present at the wedding. If the parents didn't approve, then the children shouldn't have been there. I do, however, have issues about the children wearing buttons, but I also know that kids love that stuff (or at least mine does) because they think the buttons are cool.

I've seen children used to far more nefarous (IMO) political purposes. And, no, I don't generally approve of it, but would leave it on an issue by issue basis.

jillian I agree with you on the parents issues here, but as for me in this case these children had no business in that highly charged political environment. I know my daughter loved wearing buttons like that when she was young and well now she is a little more involved. I simply cannot believe the adults involved here did not realize the kind of environment these children were being put into. It seems at least on the surface quite obvious they did as some of the children were wearing No on prop 8 buttons.

Just so you know, I'd have brought my son to the wedding... .more to teach tolerance than anything else... unless, of course, they were friends, in which case, I'd have expected to bring him like I would to any other wedding.

Would I have let him wear the pin? I might have. He has a Hillary pin.

Just so you know, I'd have brought my son to the wedding... .more to teach tolerance than anything else... unless, of course, they were friends, in which case, I'd have expected to bring him like I would to any other wedding.

i wouldn't let a kid within a mile of something like this. equal marriage rights brings out the same kind of mindless rage in some people that abortion does. there's no way i'd put my child at that kind of risk for a "teachable moment".

i wouldn't let a kid within a mile of something like this. equal marriage rights brings out the same kind of mindless rage in some people that abortion does. there's no way i'd put my child at that kind of risk for a "teachable moment".

Well, if it was a friend, it wouldn't just be a "teachable moment". On the other hand, I think certain things are very important to instill. Basic fairness is one of them.

I can't imagine him being "at risk" in this situation, though I would at a choice rally because the anti-choicers can be nuts. I don't think the anti-gay marriage people have been violent, though I could be wrong.

Well, if it was a friend, it wouldn't just be a "teachable moment". On the other hand, I think certain things are very important to instill. Basic fairness is one of them.

I can't imagine him being "at risk" in this situation, though I would at a choice rally because the anti-choicers can be nuts. I don't think the anti-gay marriage people have been violent, though I could be wrong.

well, they can be very violent, although no one tossed any pipe bombs.

if it was a traditional private wedding, by which i mean not held in a very public venue, i wouldn't have a problem with the kids attending, but to put them up in the public eye, wearing buttons supporting what is a very controversial and divisive policy position, allowing them to be quoted in newspapers etc,is wrong, IMO, and very bad parenting.

I thought they weren't at the actual wedding, they just met them on the steps outside. In which case it was a shameless publicity stunt.

My kids don't go to weddings without me. I don't think I would have attended.

well, they can be very violent, although no one tossed any pipe bombs.

if it was a traditional private wedding, by which i mean not held in a very public venue, i wouldn't have a problem with the kids attending, but to put them up in the public eye, wearing buttons supporting what is a very controversial and divisive policy position, allowing them to be quoted in newspapers etc,is wrong, IMO, and very bad parenting.

I wouldn't have allowed him to be interviewed. I agree with you about that. I also may be missing it, but I am wondering who planned the excursion to the steps of city hall since Allie is correct that the kids didn't actually go to the wedding proper.

I wouldn't have allowed him to be interviewed. I agree with you about that. I also may be missing it, but I am wondering who planned the excursion to the steps of city hall since Allie is correct that the kids didn't actually go to the wedding proper.

it was one of the parents that proposed it. in fairness, the kids parents could opt out and 2 of the families did.

I agree!!

Why endanger your child iby putting them in the presence of so many dangerous pedophiles attending a homo wedding!! :eek:

In this situation jillian I would not have let my daughter anywhere near this mess only because of the highly charged political environment. While a field trip to see a teacher get married is not something I would object too. one that is done in front of hundreds of press people , with the mayor in attendence and with an emotional proposition on the ballot is not one that is anywhere near what I would call a *teachable moment* for young children. If the school which sanctioned the field trip and the parent which suggested it, had wanted this to be a *teachable moment* or for that matter wanted to be there for a teacher they loved then they could have chosen a safer environment in which to do it.

This is fine as long as the students are told in advance that this is unnatural and harmful not only to society, but the lesbians in the ceremony. Afterwards, they should be given further counseling explaining the immorality and dangers of homosexuality.

This is fine as long as the students are told in advance that this is unnatural and harmful not only to society, but the lesbians in the ceremony. Afterwards, they should be given further counseling explaining the immorality and dangers of homosexuality.

Excellent and reasonable post Xsited

I don't see how anyone could object to your suggestions :eusa_clap:

Sorry, 1st grade is way too young to be introducing homosexuality or any kind of sexuality to kids. Why can't we let kids be kids and not forcefeed them our political points of view?

I think I'm confused here.

In what way does these children being on the front steps of the court house AFTER the wedding ceremony is done "force" or "introduce" homosexuality onto children?

Call me crazy but my daughter NEVER attended a field trip that I didn't sign a permission slip for. SO that would tell me that IF those children were in attendance, it was with the permission of their parents, some of whom may by gay themselves.

These aren't random students from what I read, they are students of the teacher in question. Perhaps they wanted to share in their teachers happy event? Would it be objectionable for them to have shown their support if the teacher were marrying a man?

And I guess the next obvious question is, how much school did they miss? an hour? wow... watch out...they might've missed on on their daily quite time :lol:

Excellent and reasonable post Xsited

I don't see how anyone could object to your suggestions :eusa_clap:

Thank you, Sunni Man, but as you know there are a lot of gay rights activists on these boards. What's sad is that they actually think they are doing homosexuals a favor, when they're really just condemning them to a life of pain and suffering.

Forum List

Back