Students attend Lesbian Wedding

I don't know, Navy. SFO is the most gay friendly place on earth...it's hard to see how this was used as a political tool, really. Probably most people in the city are comfortable, or at least used to, gay people. If you are right it was done for political purposes then I agree. I just hate to see anything involving kids always being taken for something in isn't. Schools and teachers usually don't use their kids for political agendas.

While it is true SFO has a very liberal history as of late and is known as a gay friendly place, it's not many marriges that are officiated by the mayor of a major city when a state wide prop. is on the ballot that causes so much division. In this highly charged environment, do you think it was at the very least wise on the part of the school to send these first graders into that kind of environment? It's rather like a school allowing a 1st grade class on a field trip to a Anti-War protest. Children are dependant on the adults that supervise them and when the adults make unwise decisions that put them into situations that may cause them harm then those adults should answer for it.

Ah, just pointing out that gays can't get married in church.

I'm going to reserve judgment until I see further evidence.

Ah,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Damn, I didn't catch that! Duh, blonde moment.....:redface:

Well, I know some Unitarian Churches marry gay people. I have 5 friends who are "married" though it's not 'legal' here yet.

Sorry I was so slow on the uptake, I thought you were implying I couldn't get married in a church for some reason! :lol: :eusa_eh: :eusa_shifty: ;)

While it is true SFO has a very liberal history as of late and is known as a gay friendly place, it's not many marriges that are officiated by the mayor of a major city when a state wide prop. is on the ballot that causes so much division. In this highly charged environment, do you think it was at the very least wise on the part of the school to send these first graders into that kind of environment? It's rather like a school allowing a 1st grade class on a field trip to a Anti-War protest. Children are dependant on the adults that supervise them and when the adults make unwise decisions that put them into situations that may cause them harm then those adults should answer for it.
Well...that's a decent point but I'm just not sure gay marriages are that big of a deal in SFO. And you'd have to make me believe Newsome knew about it (which he claims he didn't), or the teacher knew about it (which she claims she didn't) or the school cravenly uses first graders as tools...which I certainly would hope not. I would like to think it was all done in innocence, but if you come up with any evidence otherwise I'll be open to changing my mind.

Have any of the parents commented?

Ah,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Damn, I didn't catch that! Duh, blonde moment.....:redface:

Well, I know some Unitarian Churches marry gay people. I have 5 friends who are "married" though it's not 'legal' here yet.

Sorry I was so slow on the uptake, I thought you were implying I couldn't get married in a church for some reason! :lol: :eusa_eh: :eusa_shifty: ;)
:tongue: Even if that's true, Echo, I would never squeal on you. :eusa_angel:

Well...that's a decent point but I'm just not sure gay marriages are that big of a deal in SFO. And you'd have to make me believe Newsome knew about it (which he claims he didn't), or the teacher knew about it (which she claims she didn't) or the school cravenly uses first graders as tools...which I certainly would hope not. I would like to think it was all done in innocence, but if you come up with any evidence otherwise I'll be open to changing my mind.

Have any of the parents commented?

"She's a really nice teacher. She's the best," said 6-year-old Chava Novogrodsky-Godt, wearing a "No on 8" button on her shirt. "I want her to have a good wedding."

Chava's mothers said they are getting married in two weeks.

So you don't think it was political ?

"It really is what we call a teachable moment," Jaroflow said, noting the historic significance of same-sex marriage and related civil rights issues. "I think I'm well within the parameters."

Said one father, Marc Lipsett, "How many days in school are they going to remember?"

Added Lipsett, "This is a day they’ll definitely remember."

As for Carder and McCoy, the newlyweds had plans to ride around town in a motorized trolley car festooned with twin messages: "Just Married" and "Vote No on 8."

Still think it wasn't a political event?

I've attended a gay wedding at a Unitarian church too.

i think Congregationalists and some Episcopals perform same sex weddings as well. i've been through this same sex wedding bullshit before; my problem is with kids being used as props-pro or con whatever issue is at hand.
it's not right, IMO.

i think Congregationalists and some Episcopals perform same sex weddings as well. i've been through this same sex wedding bullshit before; my problem is with kids being used as props-pro or con whatever issue is at hand.
it's not right, IMO.

I agree. Although I'm not sure what happened in the story in the OP.

I agree. Although I'm not sure what happened in the story in the OP.

Valerie, I am sure you have seen my opinion on this by now, but there are many stories on this on the net right now. Once you filter through all the editorializing which most all news gives you these days, it appears to me that it was very unwise to use these children as a political prop as can be seen by the prop 8 political buttons and stickers at the wedding and the mayor officiating. IMHO I believe it's a terrible idea to use children as props no matter what your feelings are on gay marriage.

Valerie, I am sure you have seen my opinion on this by now, but there are many stories on this on the net right now. Once you filter through all the editorializing which most all news gives you these days, it appears to me that it was very unwise to use these children as a political prop as can be seen by the prop 8 political buttons and stickers at the wedding and the mayor officiating. IMHO I believe it's a terrible idea to use children as props no matter what your feelings are on gay marriage.

If that's the case, then I agree. I haven't read the story yet, but I without looking, I wonder how this story became public in the first place? Was it a parent of one of the students who felt offended or just the press who turned the story into a political prop?

If that's the case, then I agree. I haven't read the story yet, but I without looking, I wonder how this story became public in the first place? Was it a parent of one of the students who felt offended or just the press who turned the story into a political prop?

prop 8 in Cali. is a big time issue Valerie and it's not surprising that when the mayor of the city oversee's a wedding that the press will follow, especially in such a highly emotional environment. So is it surprising that the press would be able to see a group of 1st graders there and start asking questions?

prop 8 in Cali. is a big time issue Valerie and it's not surprising that when the mayor of the city oversee's a wedding that the press will follow, especially in such a highly emotional environment. So is it surprising that the press would be able to see a group of 1st graders there and start asking questions?

First grade does seem a bit young for such a "field trip"...and it is on the public time, albeit with explicit parental approval. I guess you're right about the politics of it...A private event made public by a ceremony performed by the mayor and attended by young public school students becomes a predictably highly emotional media spectacle.

Forum List

Back