Students attend Lesbian Wedding

San Francisco is the nuttiest place in America. They can't get anything right.

Tear down that stupid prison in the middle of the bay for Christ's sake.

Maybe they get it right more than the rest of us.. wtf cant I see W in a theatre in South friggin Carolina... technically W owes us since the primary turned in bush's favor here...

she is a 1st grade teacher Echo, my problem with this is that using these young children it seems to me in a wedding that was being officiated by the Mayor, they had to know that it would become a political football. In that case, this would be a terrible breach upon the parents and Mr. Newsom especially would have a lot of explaining to do as well as the teacher.
How did the kids get out of school without their parent's permission?

Maybe they get it right more than the rest of us.. wtf cant I see W in a theatre in South friggin Carolina... technically W owes us since the primary turned in bush's favor here...

Do they let you have cable so you can watch the Daily Show and Colbert?

How did the kids get out of school without their parent's permission?

Conservative blogs have been atwitter about Newsom last week officiating at the wedding of a lesbian teacher whose class of first-graders took a field trip to celebrate with her.

Yeah, when kids go on field trips, parents must sign permission slips.

{*By the way, I'm all for gay marriage, live and let live.}

But
I don't think the kids should have been involved during school hours and I don't think they should be pawns in a political agenda.

That I don't know Ravi, I've seen several instances where it was mentioned that this was a field trip.
Then I assume the parents had to give permission. I still have to sign permission for my kids and they are quite a bit beyond first grade.

If so (the parents were okay with it), I really can't see a problem with it.

But
I don't think the kids should have been involved during school hours and I don't think they should be pawns in a political agenda.

i agree with you 100%.
it would be interesting to know how the field trip was described.
field trip to city hall sounds kinda cool, i'd sign off on that.
field trip to a wedding? nope.

But
If it was their teacher, how is it a political agenda? I loved my first grade teacher and would have gone to her wedding, even if she married a duck.

Could you show me a link to that about the memorial they can't have?

Now that makes me mad! How could anyone deny a memorial to our Vets?

The San Francisco Board of Supervisors voted 8-3 to spurn the ship. Supervisors who oppose the offer say they don't want a ship from a military in which openly gay men and women cannot serve. They also say they don't want it because they oppose the Iraq war, which city voters condemned in a 2004 ballot question.

"I don't think the climate has improved for tying a 10-story warship, or gun, to the waterfront," Supervisor Gerardo Sandoval says.

Veterans in the former Navy town are saying enough

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2006-03-08-san-francisco-battleship_x.htm

There are many many articles on this. the bottom line is this. A Vets. group wanted to put the USS Iowa in San Francisco which was a major port of debarkation during WW2 and use it as a memorial much like the USS Missouri is used at Pearl Harbor.

Then I assume the parents had to give permission. I still have to sign permission for my kids and they are quite a bit beyond first grade.

If so (the parents were okay with it), I really can't see a problem with it.

My issue is not with the parents , but knowing that prop 8 is a very big issue in Cali. right now and knowing the mayor is officiating the wedding, it would be foolish to assume that this would be just your run of the mill my teacher is getting married day. That being said, a school has no business in that kind of environment using these children or exposing them to such a highly charged political environment. It would be interesting to see how the field trip was first presented to the parents.

My issue is not with the parents , but knowing that prop 8 is a very big issue in Cali. right now and knowing the mayor is officiating the wedding, it would be foolish to assume that this would be just your run of the mill my teacher is getting married day. That being said, a school has no business in that kind of environment using these children or exposing them to such a highly charged political environment. It would be interesting to see how the field trip was first presented to the parents.
I don't know, Navy. SFO is the most gay friendly place on earth...it's hard to see how this was used as a political tool, really. Probably most people in the city are comfortable, or at least used to, gay people. If you are right it was done for political purposes then I agree. I just hate to see anything involving kids always being taken for something in isn't. Schools and teachers usually don't use their kids for political agendas.

oh this was a political event and you all know it...how many students attend non gay marriages? especially the entire 1st grade class....and in SF...

get over it, these kids are being used as political pawns, pathetic....i am sure all of you libs would be just dandy if the class went to their teachers first ever church sermon :badgrin:

If it was their teacher, how is it a political agenda? I loved my first grade teacher and would have gone to her wedding, even if she married a duck.

Now Ravi, are you getting what some of us are saying on here?

How many school sponsored field trips are to their teachers weddings? I know in the state of Indiana EVERY field trip has to align to the State Standards. (I'm not sure about California's laws on that.)

If I ever walk down that isle again (in about 8 years LOL) I sure will invite my students and former students if possible. But I won't get married during the school day and have them take a bus to my wedding. Don't you think what they did screams a bit political, given the circumstances that are going on there with Prop 8?

oh this was a political event and you all know it...how many students attend non gay marriages? especially the entire 1st grade class....and in SF...

get over it, these kids are being used as political pawns, pathetic....i am sure all of you libs would be just dandy if the class went to their teachers first ever church sermon :badgrin:

Nice stereotype, who are you to say some libs don't go to church?

Now Ravi, are you getting what some of us are saying on here?

How many school sponsored field trips are to their teachers weddings? I know in the state of Indiana EVERY field trip has to align to the State Standards. (I'm not sure about California's laws on that.)

If I ever walk down that isle again (in about 8 years LOL) I sure will invite my students and former students if possible. But I won't get married during the school day and have them take a bus to my wedding. Don't you think what they did screams a bit political, given the circumstances that are going on there with Prop 8?
Aren't public offices closed on weekends?

Forum List

Back