Students at West Texas school district feel safe with staff who carry concealed weapons

bripat9643

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2011
So much for the douchebags who claim having teachers carrying concealed weapons would lead to carnage:

Students at West Texas school district feel safe with staff who carry concealed weapons

16097449_G.jpg

CLAUDE, TX (KFDA) - Claude Independent School District has several staff members that carry concealed weapons on school grounds.

A sign in front of Claude ISD campuses shows that the district has multiple staff members who carry concealed weapons.
Parents who have children at the school say they feel very safe and comfortable knowing their staff are armed and ready to protect them if they have to.

"It makes me feel really, really safe that we have staff on hand if anything happened," said mother of a Claude ISD student Sarah Hughes.
"It brings me peace of mind."

Since at least 2016, the district has had staff members who carry concealed weapons.

In case of an active shooter, Claude ISD Superintendent Brock Cartwright, says they feel they can keep the school safe.

"Mainly if we can locate the person and try to keep us safe at the same time," said Cartwright.
"When the DPS and officials get here, we back off."

Staff members who carry are required to practice at a shooting range once a month.
They also train with the Armstrong County Sheriff's Office and the Department of Public Safety.

Parents say they feel very safe sending their kids to school with this type of preparedness.

"I don't know who carries, but I do know that if they've taken that dedication, they're going to do everything in their power to keep our kids safe, even if they're in harm's way," said Hughes.
"So what can you ask for more than that?"

Students say they feel safer on campus knowing their staff is armed, and despite the tragedy in Florida, they have no nerves coming to school.

Most of us have been thinking about this a lot since we are seeing more of these school shootings. There is the knee jerk reaction from the left that wants to constrict access to guns to varying degrees. The most interesting fact regarding this Florida incident is that the FBI was alerted that he was a threat but failed to follow up. So it occurred to me, rather than go thru the political exercise and high cost of passing another law that will only be obeyed by law abiding citizens, we should rather use our efforts and money to follow up on known threats. Perhaps if the FBI was better funded they would have had the resources to stop this tragedy.

Outstanding! Every time I see one of those "No Weapons or Firearms" signs posted somewhere, it makes me think how they might as well put up a sign reading "Robbers and Murderers Welcome Here."

Our concealed carry law allows businesses to post that no firearms are allowed on the premise. I always ignore the signs because the penalty is only a simple trespassing ticket if they find out I'm carrying, and I refused to leave.

Unfortunately, I don't carry on school property or in a post office. The federal gun-free school zone law hasn't been over-ridden by the state here, so I have to pull over within 1,000 feet of the school property, unload my weapon, and place it in the trunk. Even off-duty law-enforcement officers have to do that. This is rather stupid, as it increases the possibility of an accidental discharge when you have to load or unload a firearm.

Outstanding! Every time I see one of those "No Weapons or Firearms" signs posted somewhere, it makes me think how they might as well put up a sign reading "Robbers and Murderers Welcome Here."

Our concealed carry law allows businesses to post that no firearms are allowed on the premise. I always ignore the signs because the penalty is only a simple trespassing ticket if they find out I'm carrying, and I refused to leave.

Unfortunately, I don't carry on school property or in a post office. The federal gun-free school zone law hasn't been over-ridden by the state here, so I have to pull over within 1,000 feet of the school property, unload my weapon, and place it in the trunk. Even off-duty law-enforcement officers have to do that. This is rather stupid, as it increases the possibility of an accidental discharge when you have to load or unload a firearm.

Except regular students should not be bringing guns to school, so the "no firearms" signs make sense.

Except regular students should not be bringing guns to school, so the "no firearms" signs make sense.

I would have no problem with a student who has had the proper training and criminal background checks, carrying. Most everyone who carries on a daily basis has a safe, modern weapon with a secure holster. You strap it on in the morning and it just sits in the holster like it's not even there. It's like your wallet or watch, after awhile, you're not even aware of it.

I would have no problem with a student who has had the proper training and criminal background checks, carrying. Most everyone who carries on a daily basis has a safe, modern weapon with a secure holster. You strap it on in the morning and it just sits in the holster like it's not even there. It's like your wallet or watch, after awhile, you're not even aware of it.

Students are not supposed to have power over life and death at school. Which is, in the end, what a gun is; a killing machine. Besides that, as far as I know, you have to be 18 to legally possess and wear one, so that would put high school seniors in an awkward position over their younger peers.

His local law enforcement was also responsible for checking whether he was fit to own a gun. Sadly, too often they fail at that and the fbi, as well.
Most of us have been thinking about this a lot since we are seeing more of these school shootings. There is the knee jerk reaction from the left that wants to constrict access to guns to varying degrees. The most interesting fact regarding this Florida incident is that the FBI was alerted that he was a threat but failed to follow up. So it occurred to me, rather than go thru the political exercise and high cost of passing another law that will only be obeyed by law abiding citizens, we should rather use our efforts and money to follow up on known threats. Perhaps if the FBI was better funded they would have had the resources to stop this tragedy.

Students are not supposed to have power over life and death at school. Which is, in the end, what a gun is; a killing machine. Besides that, as far as I know, you have to be 18 to legally possess and wear one, so that would put high school seniors in an awkward position over their younger peers.

Students are American citizens, aren't they? Are you saying they don't have the same right to "life, liberty, and the pursuit if happiness"?

You're wrong: There is no age limit to the Second Amendment of the United States Constitution. Just because you're 18 years old, doesn't mean that you should be denied the right to preserve and defend your own life.

Students are American citizens, aren't they? Are you saying they don't have the same right to "life, liberty, and the pursuit if happiness"?

You're wrong: There is no age limit to the Second Amendment of the United States Constitution. Just because you're 18 years old, doesn't mean that you should be denied the right to preserve and defend your own life.

Here is what Google tells me:

Minimum Age for Gun Possession: Subject to limited exceptions*, federal law prohibits the possession of a handgun or handgun ammunition by any person under the age of 18. Federal law provides no minimum age for the possession of longguns or long gun ammunition.

And states reserve the right to create their own gun laws.

Would you really want Johnny Jim Bob cleaning his shotgun right next to your daughter's head in math class? Might make it a little difficult for her to pay attention, no? I mean, that's the kind of Wild West environment you seem to be promoting, where the only rule is few vague lines of text in the constitution.

Minimum Age for Gun Possession: Subject to limited exceptions*, federal law prohibits the possession of a handgun or handgun ammunition by any person under the age of 18. Federal law provides no minimum age for the possession of longguns or long gun ammunition.

Would you really want Johnny Jim Bob cleaning his shotgun right next to your daughter's head in math class? Might make it a little difficult for her to pay attention, no? I mean, that's the kind of Wild West environment you seem to be promoting, where the only rule is few vague lines of text in the constitution.

Whaaaa? Your ignorance of gun culture is astounding. Nobody cleans a gun in public, much less next to anyone's head. A concealed carry weapon is just a tool. it's something you put in a secure hidden place on you until the need arises. I don't even unholster mine when I get home: I merely take the holster off the belt with the pistol intact, and set it on the nightstand, pointing in a safe direction.

Besides, nobody I know of has ever tried to carry a shotgun or a rifle concealed.

Whaaaa? Your ignorance of gun culture is astounding. Nobody cleans a gun in public, much less next to anyone's head. A concealed carry weapon is just a tool. it's something you put in a secure hidden place on you until the need arises. I don't even unholster mine when I get home: I merely take the holster off the belt with the pistol intact, and set it on the nightstand, pointing in a safe direction.

Besides, nobody I know of has ever tried to carry a shotgun or a rifle concealed.

I don't want to be rude, but your ignorance of human beings appears to be astounding, considering you think that everyone is just going to follow these unspoken rules. Let alone young kids still in their teens.

High school kids can barely handle their cell phones. You want them walking around with guns? Something that can so easily take someone's life? They don't need that kind of power at their hip, and I find it difficult to believe that anyone who knows high school could disagree with me on that.

I don't want to be rude, but your ignorance of human beings appears to be astounding, considering you think that everyone is just going to follow these unspoken rules. Let alone young kids still in their teens.

High school kids can barely handle their cell phones. You want them walking around with guns? Something that can so easily take someone's life? They don't need that kind of power at their hip, and I find it difficult to believe that anyone who knows high school could disagree with me on that.

Nobody said anything about "them" walking around with guns. All it it takes is one armed person. You're imagining a bunch of armed people.

So much for the douchebags who claim having teachers carrying concealed weapons would lead to carnage:

16097449_G.jpg

CLAUDE, TX (KFDA) - Claude Independent School District has several staff members that carry concealed weapons on school grounds.

A sign in front of Claude ISD campuses shows that the district has multiple staff members who carry concealed weapons.
Parents who have children at the school say they feel very safe and comfortable knowing their staff are armed and ready to protect them if they have to.

"It makes me feel really, really safe that we have staff on hand if anything happened," said mother of a Claude ISD student Sarah Hughes.

Since at least 2016, the district has had staff members who carry concealed weapons.

In case of an active shooter, Claude ISD Superintendent Brock Cartwright, says they feel they can keep the school safe.

"Mainly if we can locate the person and try to keep us safe at the same time," said Cartwright.

Staff members who carry are required to practice at a shooting range once a month.
They also train with the Armstrong County Sheriff's Office and the Department of Public Safety.

Parents say they feel very safe sending their kids to school with this type of preparedness.

"I don't know who carries, but I do know that if they've taken that dedication, they're going to do everything in their power to keep our kids safe, even if they're in harm's way," said Hughes.

Students say they feel safer on campus knowing their staff is armed, and despite the tragedy in Florida, they have no nerves coming to school.

I guess the churches in Taxus will be next. Cuz "that's what Jaysus would want".

16097449_G.jpg

One.

Nobody said anything about "them" walking around with guns. All it it takes is one armed person. You're imagining a bunch of armed people.
There was one armed person at Columbine...there was one armed person in Florida during the Valentine's day massacre.

There was one armed person at Columbine...there was one armed person in Florida during the Valentine's day massacre.

That's the way the dice came up when they rolled. But one armed person is better then none.

Forum List

Back