Stop the Slaughtering of Innocent Turkeys!!!

From the other side:

EatTurkey.com – National Turkey Federation, Turkey Industry Information, Turkey Recipes, EatTurkey.com

How to buy and roast the perfect turkey - TODAY Holiday Guide - TODAYshow.com

Talkin’ turkey: How to buy and roast the best bird
‘Cook's Illustrated’ lists the top Thanksgiving picks plus smart cooking tips

TODAY
updated 11/3/2008 4:34:54 PM ET 2008-11-03T21:34:54

Which turkey tastes best? Is it ever worthwhile to mail-order a $100 bird when supermarket options cost less than $2 a pound? “Cook's Illustrated” conducted a taste-test of eight turkeys, including common supermarket brands as well as kosher, organic, pasture-raised, and heritage birds:

The top choice of the 24 members of the tasting panel was a kosher bird, treated with salt during processing. The salt makes the bird taste better and helps it retain moisture as it cooks, so the roasted turkey is juicier. The tasters at “Cook's Illustrated” also liked the “self-basting” birds, injected with a salt solution that generally contains turkey broth, oil and sugar. The extra fat and sugar made the meat juicier and more flavorful.

The big surprise of the tasting was the heritage bird, an old-fashioned breed with more dark meat than modern turkeys. Tasters praised its “robust turkey flavor.” Lab results revealed that this turkey had three times as much fat as the leanest birds, which translated to better flavor and juicier meat. This bird finished a close second.

What didn't the tasters at “Cook's Illustrated” like? Plain fresh turkeys, even those raised on organic feeds or allowed to roam in pastures, were downgraded as being dry and bland.

Here are the taste-test results, with the turkeys listed in order of preference:

From the other side:

EatTurkey.com – National Turkey Federation, Turkey Industry Information, Turkey Recipes, EatTurkey.com

How to buy and roast the perfect turkey - TODAY Holiday Guide - TODAYshow.com

Talkin’ turkey: How to buy and roast the best bird
‘Cook's Illustrated’ lists the top Thanksgiving picks plus smart cooking tips

TODAY
updated 11/3/2008 4:34:54 PM ET 2008-11-03T21:34:54

Which turkey tastes best? Is it ever worthwhile to mail-order a $100 bird when supermarket options cost less than $2 a pound? “Cook's Illustrated” conducted a taste-test of eight turkeys, including common supermarket brands as well as kosher, organic, pasture-raised, and heritage birds:

The top choice of the 24 members of the tasting panel was a kosher bird, treated with salt during processing. The salt makes the bird taste better and helps it retain moisture as it cooks, so the roasted turkey is juicier. The tasters at “Cook's Illustrated” also liked the “self-basting” birds, injected with a salt solution that generally contains turkey broth, oil and sugar. The extra fat and sugar made the meat juicier and more flavorful.

The big surprise of the tasting was the heritage bird, an old-fashioned breed with more dark meat than modern turkeys. Tasters praised its “robust turkey flavor.” Lab results revealed that this turkey had three times as much fat as the leanest birds, which translated to better flavor and juicier meat. This bird finished a close second.

What didn't the tasters at “Cook's Illustrated” like? Plain fresh turkeys, even those raised on organic feeds or allowed to roam in pastures, were downgraded as being dry and bland.

Here are the taste-test results, with the turkeys listed in order of preference:

Kosher salt.

When I lived in Arkansas I had to put a restraining order out on a wild turkey.

But I have to admit I do miss those drum sticks on wild full moon lite nights.

When I lived in Arkansas I had to put a restraining order out on a wild turkey.

But I have to admit I do miss those drum sticks on wild full moon lite nights.

Yep those bottles of Wild Turkey will make you gobble and howl at the moon.
good preperation for Watching Palins new show I would suspect.

One Thanksgiving we couldn't afford to buy a turkey so my Dad bought a very large turkey gizzard. We sliced it up and had turkey gizzard sammiches for Thanksgiving! Yum. Yum.

Turkey%20Dress%20Up.jpg

One Thanksgiving we were so broke we had to take turns tounge punching a dead chickens fart box.

..true story.

Forum List

Back