Sterling Banned for Life

I don't think the NBA can ban a team over an opinion of the owner. The result would be an immediate lawsuit by every team member for interference with contract.

They can if the other owners go for it, it is a franchise, it has by-laws and rules that as an owner you have to agree with before they will approve your membership. The owners vote to allow the sale of a team, they can vote to ban your team.

who is talking about banning a team?...no one in the NBA is....

If Sterling refuses to sell his team the NBA can ban Or disband the team.

Sent from my iPad using an Android.

it became not private when it became public.

if the person who released it violated the law, they should be dealt with. one doesn't obviate the other, frank.

So you can't have private thoughts or remarks that might offend someone, somewhere.

Hmmkay
Obviously not. Although Sterling was a bit foolish in trusting a black woman with his private opinions.

The fat lady hasn't sang yet------fools are still to be determined.

Who didn't know Sterling was a racist? Seriously, who didn't know? It's a well documented fact.

What took the NBA so long to take action? They knew what he is, they've known for better than twenty years.

Good riddance to bad rubbish I say. Never did like the Clippers ownership, Sterling always seemed to be a hindrance...

They didn't do anything previously, because it didn't benefit them to do anything at the time.
It now does.

Mark Cuban an owner of an NBA team was a bit concerned about taking a team away from an owner.
And he has a good point.

That will be the interesting thing, they can force him to sell if 3/4 of the owners vote to to this. I'm not sure what they'll vote, but the bottom line will effect their decision.

The NBA can by the team and run it if they need to.

Just saw press conference on TV -

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/30/s...onald-sterling-los-angeles-clippers.html?_r=0

Donald Sterling, longtime owner of the Los Angeles Clippers, was barred for life from the league and fined $2.5 million by N.B.A Commissioner Adam Silver on Tuesday for racist comments captured on an audio tape that Silver said Sterling admitted were his. Silver said Sterling would be barred from any contact with his team or the league and he will urge the league’s board of governors to force Sterling to sell the team.

The white owners and commissioners obviously, as a group, don't give a shit about racism unless it has the potential to affect the bottom line. This is my reading of the cited article. The author closes with this thought;

"The sad part is that it took this long. Maybe that is because until now everyone was making so much money. Maybe their pockets became so heavy they could not stand up for what was right."

Sterling's actual words said in private, offensive though they were, do not offend me near as much as the very public codified racism heard every day on Fox news and from ignorant politicians of the right and, though less often, the left.

An aside -

Someone posted that he was recorded illegally. Not true. He requested his girlfriend record him because he CRS.

(Can't Remember Stuff)

We are still waiting for the link. But I won't hold my breath, you have a habit of making things up.

Maybe you are hiding because some kids with Bibles are hang outside your door. :)

Mr. Sterling is a nasty, mean, petty, stingy man; pure filth going back for years. And he openly flaunts ho-friends in front of his wife. But PC lynching him is overkill (though I have no sympathy for him personally). He told his ho girlfriend he didn't want her being photo'd with blacks in public, but she could have sex with them or whatever she wanted - in private. OMG, hide your children, and the sun won't come up tomorrow. Run for your life!! He was fined 2.5 mil for that? Force him to sell the team? Salem of old is back. Gather the pyre wood.

He was on a private convo. She taped it and got him in trouble with the whole damn world, for payback for something.......her being sued by his wife perhaps??? Maybe/not, but she sure had a bone to pick with him, that much is obvious.

Slimeball and a gold-digger HO. Perfect for each other.

How do you force a sale? The only way would be to ban the Clippers from playing next season, and I really don't see them trying it.

You can't by definition "ban" an owner.

I don't think the NBA can ban a team over an opinion of the owner. The result would be an immediate lawsuit by every team member for interference with contract.

Not at all. Silver acted with the authority of the league. The Jazz management gave a ringing endorsement of Silver's actions. Check the other teams on the issue.

Silver didn't ban the team either. The players have contracts with that team. That gives rise to legal rights and obligations independent of Donald Sterling. Ultimately the issue is one of punishing many for the personal opinion of one.

What you are seeing is a lynch mob over someone's opinion. Over what they say. This is a far more dangerous precedent than anything Sterling did.

Finally!​

Fuck that mother-fucker!

Unless you were a Los Angeles basketball fan,
you have no idea just how fucked this prick actually was
over the years

Don't let the door hit you in the ass, old man!

Chow!

Mr. Sterling is a nasty, mean, petty, stingy man; pure filth going back for years. And he openly flaunts ho-friends in front of his wife. But PC lynching him is overkill (though I have no sympathy for him personally). He told his ho girlfriend he didn't want her being photo'd with blacks in public, but she could have sex with them or whatever she wanted - in private. OMG, hide your children, and the sun won't come up tomorrow. Run for your life!! He was fined 2.5 mil for that? Force him to sell the team? Salem of old is back. Gather the pyre wood.

He was on a private convo. She taped it and got him in trouble with the whole damn world, for payback for something.......her being sued by his wife perhaps??? Maybe/not, but she sure had a bone to pick with him, that much is obvious.

I said earlier it smells fishy. Who knows what else is behind all of this. Pissed off gold digger mistress with lawsuit against her, she got something to lose, right? There are hours of recording, so I heard. You know, when I have an argument with my wife, we both sometimes say things we don't really mean. It would be fun to record it and listen later, for fun. Although I think I am nice guy, I think I could cut and chop some shitty stuff... like how I hate liberals, and communists, and culture Marxism. She could also be disgruntled employee. Look, Sterling is a racist. I couldn't care less. Screw him. And screw the liberals.

What worries me is the outcome that shows if you talk bad about minorities or any other nonwhites in the slightest way - you lose. This will serve as a reminder not just to racists but to everyone else that time has come that you cannot speak out. And you cant donate to campaign for preserving traditional marriage five years ago.

Oh, banned for life? How much he has left to live anyways?

Last edited:
Congratulations, for being on topic: stay there, please.

The facts prove you wrong, as almost always: the NBA fined him 2.5mm, banned him from life, and suggested strongly he sell his team.

You say something in private negatively about the business for which you work, and it comes out, you can be fired immediately.

that doesn't mean you cannot privately besmirch a business wannabe mod. unless he knew he was being recorded, she broke the law and violated his expectation of privacy. that is the law and no amount of whining on your part will change that. you are simply a thought nazi.

You are not a lawyer, so we will give you the respect you deserve on this. The facts are not on your side. The NBA fined him, banned him, and will force him to sell.

You are siding with a man who made racist comments that in association with his business damaged it.

LOL. The NBA is not damaged.

How do you force a sale? The only way would be to ban the Clippers from playing next season, and I really don't see them trying it.

You can't by definition "ban" an owner.

But it appears they have.
Be careful what you say.

What they can do is ban him from day to day control of the franchise. They can also evidently remove his franchise rights by 3/4 vote of the other owners. I still think they would have to pay him fair market value for the team.

If he sells quickly then the NBA can get out of this relatively clean. If he fights it, or even worse decides to mess with the team to ruin is competitiveness out of spite, then all sorts of bad things can happen.

he could terminate the franchise

The more power Progressives take, the less freedoms we all have

Why is this getting more coverage than the Boston bombing?

Why are the liberal media outlets making such a big deal about this now. I mean the fact is he actually did far worse when he was a slumlord to minorities back in 2003. Where, he was found guilty and fined.

In that case he did ACTUAL HARM to minorities. It was there for everyone to see. Yet, the NAACP honored him with a lifetime achievement award. How much money did they actually take for that?:badgrin:

So, all of a sudden this Asian slut takes a photo with Magic Johnson.....

article-sterling-2.jpg

Next thing we know, there is a recording turned over to TMZ. All we are told is that it was leaked to TMZ. Not, WHO leaked it, but that it was leaked.

So, all of a sudden Magic is interested in buying the Clippers. Which the rest of owners will force Sterling to sell it. The franchise will most likely drop from its value.

Why again is this a bigger deal to the left wing media than what he did to minorities when he was a slumlord, and why did the NAACP award him?

Forum List

Back