Stealing cable from the poor

The topic is, why can't a cable provider operate on a non-profit basis if electric companies can, if banks (credit unions) can, and, while we're at it,
as many healthcare providers can.

And fuck you and your phoney-ass adult shit. I don't see you telling the others in this thread to act like adults. Who the FUCK do you think you are?

That's the topic of your attempt to derail.

the topic was taxes on cable to give access to the poor that didn't get it b/c the money sat, then got spent on other things.

Then go talk about that and leave us alone.

And just who are you to pass out orders?

Didn't your punk ass just get bent outta shape when Trajan asked you to do something?

pathetic.

I'm not talking about nationalizing cable tv, I'm talking about a non-profit 'public option' cable company competing with the for-profits. That would be comparable to the public option health insurance proposal THAT MOST AMERICANS WANTED. A company funded in its startup by government loans and then functioning just as you described above.

You ARE talking about nationalizing it. If it is funded by the government, then it is nationalized. WHY would our government want to fund such a venture for something that is a comodity and not essential for your health and/or well being. There are already federal laws on the books to prohibit monopolies for such comodities.

It's startup is funded by the government. It has to pay back the loan and self-sustain thereafter.

Why? Why is it's the government's role to set up non-profits that are TAX EXEMPT to compete against private companies?

I didn't say a company can't survive without making a profit. I said that making a profit is necessary to fund growth via cash flow from operations or to attract invested capital. Companies can meander for years on a breakeven basis.

Cable providers are funded with more than monthly premiums - they have investors and debt holders. Read a balance sheet sometime, idiot.

That would require he know the first thing about running a business.

I already answered the question, you moron.

Credit unions are funded by the deposits of their members (who own the credit union).

They are funded on the returns they make on these assets either via fees or interest charged to make loans.

And cable providers are funded by monthly premiums.

How can the credit union survive, if a company can't survive without making a profit?

I didn't say a company can't survive without making a profit. I said that making a profit is necessary to fund growth via cash flow from operations or to attract invested capital. Companies can meander for years on a breakeven basis.

Cable providers are funded with more than monthly premiums - they have investors and debt holders. Read a balance sheet sometime, idiot.

Ah, see, we're making an inch or two of progress with you barely educable morons.

Like I said, my credit union and electric company are non-profit, and have in fact prospered for years. And are better deals. What problem do you morons have with better deals??

I wonder if there is a law about not spending tax money as you said you would?

Would both Govs be guilty of fruad and or theft? One for not spenging and the other for using it elsewhere?

Ah, see, we're making an inch or two of progress with you barely educable morons.

Like I said, my credit union and electric company are non-profit, and have in fact prospered for years. And are better deals. What problem do you morons have with better deals??

Has anyone said they have a problem with a better deal?

If you think your non-profit cable company will do better, why don't you put your money where your mouth is and start a non-profit cable company? Why do you think that the government needs to compell anyone to do anything?

You do realize that there is a serious difference between a non-profit and a government controlled and funded company.

How can the credit union survive, if a company can't survive without making a profit?

I'll have to defer to your superior experience in being a moron regarding whether or not this is progress.

If your idea of a good business is a moribund one which cannot grow because it is not profitable, then you'd make a good candidate for Obama's Council of Economic Advisors.

N.J. tax to help low-income people pay cable TV bills was instead used to plug budget hole | NJ.com

Personally, I don't think taxpayers should have to subsidize cable TV for anyone. But it's the law, and this kind of stuff boils my blood. This is why NJ is such a mess. Hundreds of taxes and fees going into politician's slush funds.

Then why are you complaining?

If I take money from you to do something, even something you think is dumb. Don't you think I should do it?

That depends. I think there should be a priority in what our tax dollars are spent on and I don't think cable TV is a high priority. Chanel stated that taxpayers shouldn't fund cable for poor folk. So she should be pleased to find that they aren't. But instead she complains. Go figure.

Then why are you complaining?

If I take money from you to do something, even something you think is dumb. Don't you think I should do it?

That depends. I think there should be a priority in what our tax dollars are spent on and I don't think cable TV is a high priority. Chanel stated that taxpayers shouldn't fund cable for poor folk. So she should be pleased to find that they aren't. But instead she complains. Go figure.

I think you're missing the point. This isn't about priorities, it's about keeping your word and following the law.

I tax you to build a park, I better damn build it. I tax you to get cable to poor people (dumb beyond reason), I had better get them cable.

Keep my word, follow the law.

A non-profit has "prospered for years?" I guess you really have no idea what you're talking about, but that's nothing new for you, is it?

Rick

A non-profit has "prospered for years?" I guess you really have no idea what you're talking about, but that's nothing new for you, is it?

Rick

Kinida hard to prosper if your not making a profit.

Your just there providing a sevice. No profit needed I guess.

It's telling how NYC attempts to justify government fraud by insinuating that the cable companies have no right or need to earn a profit.

I keep my conversations with him to a limit. His out and out hate for capitalism is annoying to no end. In his mind everything is a right and nothing should turn a profit. Everything profits or they couldn't pay thier bills.

I'm using my non-profit credit union as an example. They are non-profit, they pay their bills, their services are better and cheaper than a for-profit bank.

Now you tell me, in detail, why I must be making that up, since you say it can't happen.

You are making up the supposition that your credit union does not make a profit. Credit unions are not "non-profit" organizations. If you expect your credit union to exist for any period of time, then they had better make some sort of profit or "surplus". Maybe you should go to your credit union's annual meeting or ask an officer or member of the board of directors to educate you. I assure you that somewhere in their financial statements, there is some form of equity/surplus account.

Also, on the matter of start up funding. A vast majority of credit unions, if not all, got their start up funding from the founding members of the organization. So if you want a not-for-profit cable company, by all means put up the funding to start such an endeavor. No one is stopping you. I'm not sure where you get the idea the government should flippantly give loans to any entity which patterns itself as a not-for-profit. You're basically saying we should force membership in a voluntary association organization. That really does not make any sense.

This is a perfect example of why our pension system is broke. It should be illegal to use dedicated funds for the "general fund" Christie should know better.

I have no problem with what Christie did. Cable television is not a right and the government should not be using tax dollars to subsidize it for anyone. He put the money to better use.

How about all these poor people put up an antenna and watch local FREE stations. Why should the gov. (us) pay for cable when FREE is available.

Gee.

What a novel idea.

Free. I'm sure the Clowns in Govt haven't thought of it yet.

How about all these poor people put up an antenna and watch local FREE stations. Why should the gov. (us) pay for cable when FREE is available.
Ohh I expect that the cable companies lobbied for it. Pork for the cable companies?

Ohh I expect that the cable companies lobbied for it. Pork for the cable companies?

Why would they lobby to get taxed?

If they did, why didn't they get pissed when the state didn't follow through?

This is a perfect example of why our pension system is broke. It should be illegal to use dedicated funds for the "general fund" Christie should know better.

I have no problem with what Christie did. Cable television is not a right and the government should not be using tax dollars to subsidize it for anyone. He put the money to better use.

Cristi didn't break his word, but he knew what that money was supposed to be for.

As dumb as the idea of free cable is, the people of NJ wanted this, at least then they did. So Cristi shoulda got the ok to spend the money elsewhere, and end the tax.

I keep my conversations with him to a limit. His out and out hate for capitalism is annoying to no end. In his mind everything is a right and nothing should turn a profit. Everything profits or they couldn't pay thier bills.

I'm using my non-profit credit union as an example. They are non-profit, they pay their bills, their services are better and cheaper than a for-profit bank.

Now you tell me, in detail, why I must be making that up, since you say it can't happen.

You are making up the supposition that your credit union does not make a profit. Credit unions are not "non-profit" organizations. If you expect your credit union to exist for any period of time, then they had better make some sort of profit or "surplus". Maybe you should go to your credit union's annual meeting or ask an officer or member of the board of directors to educate you. I assure you that somewhere in their financial statements, there is some form of equity/surplus account.
:eek:should force membership in a voluntary association organization. That really does not make any sense.

You people are comically confused.

United States Code: Title 26,501. Exemption from tax on corporations, certain trusts, etc. | LII / Legal Information Institute

Forum List

Back