Stealing cable from the poor

Because television is little more than a basic utility now. There's no need for a cable company to be making profits. I get great electric service from a non-profit co-op whose only mandate is to break even. When they have money left over they send it back to us. There's no reason cable/satellite tv couldn't be like that.

I see...like cell phones? are they a basic utility too?

you do realize that when you up the "basics" or that is when you level someone UP absent merit as a motivator, from point say Z to V, it costs money and short circuits the system. Thats the social aspect...

as for the free market aspect- Your apparent answer that; why do the providers of a service need to generate above operating cost revenue appears to me to so so intellectually vacuous, I can scarcely believe you made it. Do you wan to re-phrase?

I can believe he posed such an intellectually vacuous question. It's completely consistent with his inane worldview and lack of useful knowledge.

Well if you're so smart, you tell us why I can get better service from a non-profit electric company and a non-profit bank,

and why a non-profit cable provider couldn't function just as well.

That will shut you up.

The main issue here is the use of government funds for something it was not authorized for. Misappropriation of funds comes to mind. Of course if the legislature approved it or there was one of those "loopholes" as in every law they pass, then it could be legal. I imagine that we will be hearing more about this in the future and an investigation.

you do realize that when you up the "basics" or that is when you level someone UP absent merit as a motivator, from point say Z to V, it costs money and short circuits the system. Thats the social aspect...

as for the free market aspect- Your apparent answer that; why do the providers of a service need to generate above operating cost revenue appears to me to so so intellectually vacuous, I can scarcely believe you made it. Do you wan to re-phrase?

I can believe he posed such an intellectually vacuous question. It's completely consistent with his inane worldview and lack of useful knowledge.

Well if you're so smart, you tell us why I can get better service from a non-profit electric company and a non-profit bank,

and why a non-profit cable provider couldn't function just as well.

That will shut you up.

We don't get better service from non-profit power companies in CA than we do from banks. I've never gone to an ATM and not received perfect service.

And yet, despite the massive amount of money collected by our public utilities, we have inadequate transmission lines, the seizure of our personal usage by the state via Smart Meters, and past and threatened rolling black outs.

Try again.

(And tellingly, your objective is not to get at the truth, but to "shut up" anyone who doesn't support your silly memes.)

Last edited:
Your question dodges the point. Why would a cable provider need to make a profit, any more than my electric co-op needs to make a profit?

Why would a business need to make a profit?

Wow.

You really are an economic illiterate. The following answer is for other readers, as it's unlikely you will grok it.

Businesses require capital for investment and working capital. Unless that capital is generated from cash flow from operations (PROFIT), the business will require investors. Investors seek a return on their invested capital, which again requires PROFIT.

Without PROFIT, businesses lack the ability to attract capital or to generate cash flow to develop new products, to enter new markets, and to grow. Without PROFIT, they do not create jobs.

My credit union makes ZERO profit. My electric company makes ZERO profit. Tell me how they survive, prosper, and provide competitive service.

Id say it went for a better use, but I doubt that as well.
Collecting tax so people can watch TV?
I know it not where you are going but...
How about a tax so poor people can afford cigarettes?

I think this is what you get when you have full time law makers, they have to make laws and spend money.
If we had not opted for the Digital Wonderland where TX signals can no longer be obtained for free via an antennae, you might have a point. But, as it is, without cable or a satellite dish, no one gets television for free anymore. Not even one of the digital antennae can guarantee reception.

Cigarettes are an optional activity. But television provides vital information in emergencies and should be available to everyone, not just a privileged class.

Ummmm....WHY?

Because television is little more than a basic utility now. There's no need for a cable company to be making profits. I get great electric service from a non-profit co-op whose only mandate is to break even. When they have money left over they send it back to us. There's no reason cable/satellite tv couldn't be like that.

as for the free market aspect- Your apparent answer that; why do the providers of a service need to generate above operating cost revenue appears to me to so so intellectually vacuous, I can scarcely believe you made it. Do you want to re-phrase?

I'm asking again and again because none of you imbeciles has an answer. How do non-profit credit unions survive?

Your question dodges the point. Why would a cable provider need to make a profit, any more than my electric co-op needs to make a profit?

Wow.

You really are an economic illiterate. The following answer is for other readers, as it's unlikely you will grok it.

Businesses require capital for investment and working capital. Unless that capital is generated from cash flow from operations (PROFIT), the business will require investors. Investors seek a return on their invested capital, which again requires PROFIT.

Without PROFIT, businesses lack the ability to attract capital or to generate cash flow to develop new products, to enter new markets, and to grow. Without PROFIT, they do not create jobs.

My credit union makes ZERO profit. My electric company makes ZERO profit. Tell me how they survive, prosper, and provide competitive service.

Your credit union takes in deposits and funds its operations based upon returns on those deposits. They are a form of capital.

Your electric company is subsidized via the rates the utility commission allows it to charge. The fact that it doesn't make a profit means it spends too much. Such rates are generally cost based, hence then incentive is not to manage costs effectively, but to increase the cost base.

as for the free market aspect- Your apparent answer that; why do the providers of a service need to generate above operating cost revenue appears to me to so so intellectually vacuous, I can scarcely believe you made it. Do you want to re-phrase?

I'm asking again and again because none of you imbeciles has an answer. How do non-profit credit unions survive?

A search engine is your friend. You could research how credit unions function, if you really wanted to know. But you don't. You just wish to throw out red herrings to attack PROFIT as a legitimate objective.

dude, don't get personal...last request, lets keep things adult.

as to your questioning, I am not into indulging your strawman/misdirection if you want to discuss the topic lets do that......cable - should not purse profit in your eyes..correct?

As it is right now, I subscribe to Comcast's most basic service. I get local stations from Pittsburgh and Youngstown Ohio, the Weather Channel and C-Span. That's it. Not TNT. No History Channel. No Fox News.

If I wanted those other channels, I would have to pay more to Comcast. So much more that cable television would be the highest utility bill each and every month. More than the electric bill to fire up the very television Comcast wants me to pay to watch.

Wow.

Your credit union takes in deposits and funds its operations based upon returns on those deposits. They are a form of capital.

Your electric company is subsidized via the rates the utility commission allows it to charge. The fact that it doesn't make a profit means it spends too much. Such rates are generally cost based, hence then incentive is not to manage costs effectively, but to increase the cost base.

Good god you are stupid.

Good god you are stupid.

Thank you for the compliment. If you agreed with me, I'd be worried.

*whew!*

Five years ago, the state promised poor senior citizens and disabled people they could expect help paying their cable television bills under a tax imposed on the cable industry.

Since then, the state has collected a total of $9.2 million from the tax — but not a dime has gone to help low-income cable subscribers.

After Gov. Jon Corzine signed the law creating the fund in 2006, no one ever developed a plan to disburse the money. It sat untouched and accumulating until Gov. Chris Christie drained the fund to help plug a big state budget hole last year, state Treasury Department spokesman Andy Pratt confirmed.

Although the tax money was earmarked for the Cable Television Universal Access Fund, "the money is all gone now," Pratt said. "The money was never used for the intended purpose."

N.J. tax to help low-income people pay cable TV bills was instead used to plug budget hole | NJ.com

Personally, I don't think taxpayers should have to subsidize cable TV for anyone. But it's the law, and this kind of stuff boils my blood. This is why NJ is such a mess. Hundreds of taxes and fees going into politician's slush funds.

HAHAHAHAHAHA

People actually thought that a specific tax on a specific industry would go to pay for services from that industry? :lol::laugh2::rofl::laugh2::lol:

Did everyone forget what happend with SS?

oh man, that's rich. BEST THREAD OF THE MONTH! just for the irony.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~``

ok, on a serious note. The state has to keep it's word about getting cable (snicker) to the poor and old, or return the money.

By passing the law and taxing, they made access a state right.

Five years ago, the state promised poor senior citizens and disabled people they could expect help paying their cable television bills under a tax imposed on the cable industry.

Since then, the state has collected a total of $9.2 million from the tax — but not a dime has gone to help low-income cable subscribers.

After Gov. Jon Corzine signed the law creating the fund in 2006, no one ever developed a plan to disburse the money. It sat untouched and accumulating until Gov. Chris Christie drained the fund to help plug a big state budget hole last year, state Treasury Department spokesman Andy Pratt confirmed.

Although the tax money was earmarked for the Cable Television Universal Access Fund, "the money is all gone now," Pratt said. "The money was never used for the intended purpose."

N.J. tax to help low-income people pay cable TV bills was instead used to plug budget hole | NJ.com

Personally, I don't think taxpayers should have to subsidize cable TV for anyone. But it's the law, and this kind of stuff boils my blood. This is why NJ is such a mess. Hundreds of taxes and fees going into politician's slush funds.

Since when is cable a necessity? If you cant afford it. you shouldnt have it.

You cant afford tv in poverty. You have to work yourself out.

dude, don't get personal...last request, lets keep things adult.

as to your questioning, I am not into indulging your strawman/misdirection if you want to discuss the topic lets do that......cable - should not purse profit in your eyes..correct?

The topic is, why can't a cable provider operate on a non-profit basis if electric companies can, if banks (credit unions) can, and, while we're at it,

as many healthcare providers can.

And fuck you and your phoney-ass adult shit. I don't see you telling the others in this thread to act like adults. Who the FUCK do you think you are?

A better question is: why do you feel the need to impose your "non-profit" value system upon companies which you don't own?

A search engine is your friend. You could research how credit unions function, if you really wanted to know. But you don't. You just wish to throw out red herrings to attack PROFIT as a legitimate objective.

Another one who can't answer the question. Anyone else?

Another one who can't answer the question. Anyone else?

I already answered the question, you moron.

Credit unions are funded by the deposits of their members (who own the credit union).

They are funded on the returns they make on these assets either via fees or interest charged to make loans.

Forum List

Back