Stealing cable from the poor

Well its a stupid tax but we've got plenty of stupid taxes here in NJ. It just makes you think about how many other stupid taxes are being used to pay for other stupid things. Sorry for my stupid word choice but I'm in a pretty stupid mood today.

BTW - We also subsidize car insurance for the poor. Cuz poor people can't get jobs without cars or something... Don't get me started. Errrr!

Anyone remember the story about the PA flood tax?

Yup. What a fucking joke.

As a result of the damage from the 1936 flood, the Pennsylvania General Assembly imposed an emergency tax on all alcohol sold in the Commonwealth. The "temporary" 10% tax was initially intended to help pay for clean up, recovery, and assistance to flood victims. The tax still exists and in 1963 the tax was even raised to 15% and again in 1968 to 18% (not including the statewide 6% sales tax). The nearly $200 million collected annually no longer goes to flood victims, however, instead going into the general fund for discretionary use by lawmakers.[8]

Johnstown Flood - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Well its a stupid tax but we've got plenty of stupid taxes here in NJ. It just makes you think about how many other stupid taxes are being used to pay for other stupid things. Sorry for my stupid word choice but I'm in a pretty stupid mood today.

BTW - We also subsidize car insurance for the poor. Cuz poor people can't get jobs without cars or something... Don't get me started. Errrr!

:eek:you subsidize car insurance? get the frig outta here ..seriously? :eusa_eh:

:eek:you subsidize car insurance? get the frig outta here ..seriously? :eusa_eh:

HOLY CRAP! :eek:

I agree with Trajan.

See, it's nutty crap like that, that drives places into the hole. NJ is a liberal paradise, and suffers for it.

NJ government > :whip: < NJ resident

I'm asking again and again because none of you imbeciles has an answer. How do non-profit credit unions survive?

dude, don't get personal...last request, lets keep things adult.

as to your questioning, I am not into indulging your strawman/misdirection if you want to discuss the topic lets do that......cable - should not purse profit in your eyes..correct?

The topic is, why can't a cable provider operate on a non-profit basis if electric companies can, if banks (credit unions) can, and, while we're at it,as many healthcare providers can.

not thats not actually the topic you decided to introduce other element into the topic, aside from cable lets do one thing at a time, cable is different from say a financial bus? yes?

Your original Q back in post 18 addressed elec. co vs cable...so I'll discuss that but not the bank thing.*shrugs*

And fuck you and your phoney-ass adult shit. I don't see you telling the others in this thread to act like adults.

because they talk to you directly, your issue is with them NOT ME. And I don't have an issue with them as they don't talk to me the way they do you.....see?

We you I an a few others were into the same exchanges...you made a broadcast remark calling everyone in that exchange imbeciles...I object. I treat you with respect I'd appreciate same. Nothing phony about it.

Who the FUCK do you think you are?

someone trying to have an intelligent conversation....this is the 3rd time we have had to go over this.
It appears to me there are not many people here who you exchange with on a civil basis, I am beginning to suspect I know why.

lets just move, on shall we?

Last edited:
When we first moved back to New Mexico years ago, I was amazed to received a government check the first year we lived here. It was something over a hundred dollars. When I inquired what the money was for, I was advised that it was a low income subsidy. (In the process of moving and getting re-established we had apparently dropped our income below an acceptable threshhold that year. :))

I was somewhat perplexed by a state that paid you for living here.

Since then we have paid some of the nation's highest taxes, fees, registrations etc. And though we live in a state receiving much higher than average federal funding per capita, we remain one of the nation's poorest and are at or near the bottom of almost all quality of life lists--education, crime, chemical dependency, health, etc. etc. etc.

And STILL we have a state government that seems to think the answer is just more and bigger government though our new governor is doing her damndest to fix that.

Wouldn't you think that sooner or later they would start rethinking some of this stuff?

When we first moved back to New Mexico years ago, I was amazed to received a government check the first year we lived here. It was something over a hundred dollars. When I inquired what the money was for, I was advised that it was a low income subsidy. (In the process of moving and getting re-established we had apparently dropped our income below an acceptable threshhold that year. :))

I was somewhat perplexed by a state that paid you for living here.

Since then we have paid some of the nation's highest taxes, fees, registrations etc. And though we live in a state receiving much higher than average federal funding per capita, we remain one of the nation's poorest and are at or near the bottom of almost all quality of life lists--education, crime, chemical dependency, health, etc. etc. etc.

And STILL we have a state government that seems to think the answer is just more and bigger government though our new governor is doing her damndest to fix that.

Wouldn't you think that sooner or later they would start rethinking some of this stuff?

You'd think.

kinda funny, you got paid 100 to live there, while I pay ~ $80 to work here in PA.
$50+ to the state, $20+ to the county

The Special Automobile Insurance Policy (SAIP) is an initiative to help make limited auto insurance coverage available to drivers who are eligible for Federal Medicaid with hospitalization. Such drivers can obtain a medical coverage-only policy at a cost of $365 a year.

Special Automobile Insurance Policy

The average auto policy in NJ is 41% more than the rest of the country. Avg. policy runs about $1200. Unless you get free health insurance too.

From'08. N.J. dips to No. 2 for nation's highest car insurance rates | NJ.com

People's Republic of NJ. Great place to live on other people's money. (maybe I should offer that as our state motto)

The Special Automobile Insurance Policy (SAIP) is an initiative to help make limited auto insurance coverage available to drivers who are eligible for Federal Medicaid with hospitalization. Such drivers can obtain a medical coverage-only policy at a cost of $365 a year.

The average auto policy in NJ is 41% more than the rest of the country. Avg. policy runs about $1200. Unless you get free health insurance too.

People's Republic of NJ. Great place to live on other people's money. (maybe I should offer that as our state motto)

Hell Yeah. Great Motto.

Gets my vote.

Seriously. How can anyoe afford to live in NJ. Talk about spreading the wealth. Jeeze.

Last edited:

Well that explains why there is only the rich and the poor in NJ.

I know few middle class people living in NJ, I know a few that used to, though.

You're basically saying we should force membership in a voluntary association organization. That really does not make any sense.

And that's the problem with the big government types. They have no problem using force, coercion, violence, etc to get what they want.

I pay an uninsured motorists charge here in KY on my auto ins.

And I used to buy just liability on myself as a driver, now we have to buy liability insurance on each car we drive???

It is liability only it does not even cover the car we drive...

How about all these poor people put up an antenna and watch local FREE stations. Why should the gov. (us) pay for cable when FREE is available.

Why do they need to watch any tv whatsoever?

I hardly watch tv. and the TV I have doesn't have cable. What kind of pathetic lowlife would I be if I thought I was entitled to have someone else pay for cable that at this time I don't need?

Funny thing here is that it's not the poor that benefit with the original proposal. It's the cable companies.

If I take money from you to do something, even something you think is dumb. Don't you think I should do it?

That depends. I think there should be a priority in what our tax dollars are spent on and I don't think cable TV is a high priority. Chanel stated that taxpayers shouldn't fund cable for poor folk. So she should be pleased to find that they aren't. But instead she complains. Go figure.

I think you're missing the point. This isn't about priorities, it's about keeping your word and following the law.

I tax you to build a park, I better damn build it. I tax you to get cable to poor people (dumb beyond reason), I had better get them cable.

Keep my word, follow the law.

I doubt very seriously the people were told that their tax dollars was going to help poor idiots get cable tv.

Five years ago, the state promised poor senior citizens and disabled people they could expect help paying their cable television bills under a tax imposed on the cable industry.

Since then, the state has collected a total of $9.2 million from the tax — but not a dime has gone to help low-income cable subscribers.

After Gov. Jon Corzine signed the law creating the fund in 2006, no one ever developed a plan to disburse the money. It sat untouched and accumulating until Gov. Chris Christie drained the fund to help plug a big state budget hole last year, state Treasury Department spokesman Andy Pratt confirmed.

Although the tax money was earmarked for the Cable Television Universal Access Fund, "the money is all gone now," Pratt said. "The money was never used for the intended purpose."

N.J. tax to help low-income people pay cable TV bills was instead used to plug budget hole | NJ.com

Personally, I don't think taxpayers should have to subsidize cable TV for anyone. But it's the law, and this kind of stuff boils my blood. This is why NJ is such a mess. Hundreds of taxes and fees going into politician's slush funds.

If this tax was levied on the cable companies and probably passed onto existing cable consumers, how was anything stolen from the poor who didn't have/couldn't afford cable in the first place?

i believe the OP is saying that the government took the money that was designated for the poor folks cable....like how the feds steal from the SS fund

That depends. I think there should be a priority in what our tax dollars are spent on and I don't think cable TV is a high priority. Chanel stated that taxpayers shouldn't fund cable for poor folk. So she should be pleased to find that they aren't. But instead she complains. Go figure.

I think you're missing the point. This isn't about priorities, it's about keeping your word and following the law.

I tax you to build a park, I better damn build it. I tax you to get cable to poor people (dumb beyond reason), I had better get them cable.

I doubt very seriously the people were told that their tax dollars was going to help poor idiots get cable tv.

I think the people probably were told that when the tax was levied. Possibly even voted for it.

Years ago in Kansas we had a state of the art baseball/softball facility located at one end of a large city park. It's where all the ball leagues, including Little League played. Great parking, lighted facilities, convenient concessions, well constructed beachers--it was just perfect.

So the city's bicentennial celebration was coming up and they wanted to culminate it with the grand opening of a brand new city convention center. And the city wanted to build that center where that ball park was located. Of course we all went ballistic and rose up to defend our beloved ball park. The Convention Center would be a boon to the city, they said--it would pay for itself and bring in much business activity.

Finally to break the impasse, the city promised to build a bigger, better, lighted ball park a short distance away, and the people agreed and voted the bonds to build the Convention Center. In no time it was discovered that there was not enough money to develop the area as the old park had been--cheaper, less comfortable bleachers--less convenient parking and concessions. And worst of the worst, the folks on a ridge just above the new ballpark petitioned to nix the lights--they didn't want the light pollution just below them.

Result: A far inferior unlighted ball park to replace the other - AND a new convention center that required annual tax money to subsidize it to keep its doors open when it didn't pay for itself and didn't bring in the promised business activity.

The people felt thoroughly cheated.

And they wonder how government gets a bad name.

I think the people probably were told that when the tax was levied. Possibly even voted for it.

Years ago in Kansas we had a state of the art baseball/softball facility located at one end of a large city park. It's where all the ball leagues, including Little League played. Great parking, lighted facilities, convenient concessions, well constructed beachers--it was just perfect.

So the city's bicentennial celebration was coming up and they wanted to culminate it with the grand opening of a brand new city convention center. And the city wanted to build that center where that ball park was located. Of course we all went ballistic and rose up to defend our beloved ball park. The Convention Center would be a boon to the city, they said--it would pay for itself and bring in much business activity.

Finally to break the impasse, the city promised to build a bigger, better, lighted ball park a short distance away, and the people agreed and voted the bonds to build the Convention Center. In no time it was discovered that there was not enough money to develop the area as the old park had been--cheaper, less comfortable bleachers--less convenient parking and concessions. And worst of the worst, the folks on a ridge just above the new ballpark petitioned to nix the lights--they didn't want the light pollution just below them.

Result: A far inferior unlighted ball park to replace the other - AND a new convention center that required annual tax money to subsidize it to keep its doors open when it didn't pay for itself and didn't bring in the promised business activity.

The people felt thoroughly cheated.

And they wonder how government gets a bad name.

Fact is the revenue was raised by taxing the cable industry, which in turn more than likely raised their rates on cable subsrcibers to subsidize this tax and that money was supposed to be used to help poor idiots watch cable tv. But since no plan was developed to disburse the funds, they sat dormant. Government at it's finest!

N.J. tax to help low-income people pay cable TV bills was instead used to plug budget hole | NJ.com

Personally, I don't think taxpayers should have to subsidize cable TV for anyone. But it's the law, and this kind of stuff boils my blood. This is why NJ is such a mess. Hundreds of taxes and fees going into politician's slush funds.

If this tax was levied on the cable companies and probably passed onto existing cable consumers, how was anything stolen from the poor who didn't have/couldn't afford cable in the first place?

i believe the OP is saying that the government took the money that was designated for the poor folks cable....like how the feds steal from the SS fund

There is no $ to steal in the SS fund.

Yesterday I was a bit embarrassed by my "stupid" word choice. Today I am laughing. Christie used the word "dumb". Sometimes I get the feeling this message board is being monitored.

"It was a dumb idea in my opinion," Christie said. "To have the taxpayers of New Jersey pay for cable TV, I mean seriously, has cable TV become a constitutional right now we are going to pay for, in this time of budget constraints?

"I’m not going to tell you what I am going to do with the budget," Christie added, "but I suspect that will be on the endangered list for Feb 22," when he proposes his budget.

What remains unclear is whether Christie will seek to repeal the tax. Failing to use earmarked money is not illegal unless it is dedicated by a constitutional amendment.

Gov. Christie calls law designed to help low-income senior citizens, disabled pay cable TV bills 'dumb' | NJ.com

Forum List

Back