Stealing cable from the poor

Ummmm....WHY?

Because television is little more than a basic utility now. There's no need for a cable company to be making profits. I get great electric service from a non-profit co-op whose only mandate is to break even. When they have money left over they send it back to us. There's no reason cable/satellite tv couldn't be like that.

Huh????? A basic utility? I see a basic utility as something you need, such as electricity, or gas for heating, or running water. These basic utilities allow people to stay ALIVE. How does cable TV even come close?

Because mass suicides would occur if people couldn't watch the superbowl and the like.

Because television is little more than a basic utility now. There's no need for a cable company to be making profits. I get great electric service from a non-profit co-op whose only mandate is to break even. When they have money left over they send it back to us. There's no reason cable/satellite tv couldn't be like that.

Huh????? A basic utility? I see a basic utility as something you need, such as electricity, or gas for heating, or running water. These basic utilities allow people to stay ALIVE. How does cable TV even come close?

Because mass suicides would occur if people couldn't watch the superbowl and the like.

To use your term, "I call bullshit" on that one, as the Super Bowl was televised on a non-cable channel and could have been viewed on almost any TV without cabel TV service.

To use your term, "I call bullshit" on that one, as the Super Bowl was televised on a non-cable channel and could have been viewed on almost any TV without cabel TV service.

Because television is little more than a basic utility now.

Cable or basic, you need the tube. My comment pertained to that part and . . my comment was a joke. ;) tv IS NOT and never will be a basic utility and anyone who thinks so is nuts.

Cable or basic, you need the tube. My comment pertained to that part and . . my comment was a joke. ;) tv IS NOT and never will be a basic utility and anyone who thinks so is nuts.

As was mine! Nobody seems to get my sarcasm these days......:eusa_eh:

As was mine! Nobody seems to get my sarcasm these days......:eusa_eh:

Oh blarg, I think I need more coffee. lol

We need a non-profit public option for cable/satellite tv. Seriously.

Probably the dumbest idea I have ever heard...

But...

Nobody is forcing you to keep all your investments, time, and efforts away from doing such a venture.... knock yourself out

Why is it a dumb idea?

I have a non-profit electric company. I get a better deal than I would from the for-profits.

I have a non-profit credit union. I get a better deal than I would from the for-profits.

Five years ago, the state promised poor senior citizens and disabled people they could expect help paying their cable television bills under a tax imposed on the cable industry.

Since then, the state has collected a total of $9.2 million from the tax — but not a dime has gone to help low-income cable subscribers.

After Gov. Jon Corzine signed the law creating the fund in 2006, no one ever developed a plan to disburse the money. It sat untouched and accumulating until Gov. Chris Christie drained the fund to help plug a big state budget hole last year, state Treasury Department spokesman Andy Pratt confirmed.

Although the tax money was earmarked for the Cable Television Universal Access Fund, "the money is all gone now," Pratt said. "The money was never used for the intended purpose."

N.J. tax to help low-income people pay cable TV bills was instead used to plug budget hole | NJ.com

Personally, I don't think taxpayers should have to subsidize cable TV for anyone. But it's the law, and this kind of stuff boils my blood. This is why NJ is such a mess. Hundreds of taxes and fees going into politician's slush funds.

This is pretty typical of the Big Government con. Most of the money that is supposed to "help" somebody just feeds the bureaucracy. This example is just more transparent than most.

Ummmm....WHY?

Your question dodges the point. Why would a cable provider need to make a profit, any more than my electric co-op needs to make a profit?

Your question dodges the point. Why would a cable provider need to make a profit, any more than my electric co-op needs to make a profit?

Why would a business need to make a profit?

Wow.

You really are an economic illiterate. The following answer is for other readers, as it's unlikely you will grok it.

Businesses require capital for investment and working capital. Unless that capital is generated from cash flow from operations (PROFIT), the business will require investors. Investors seek a return on their invested capital, which again requires PROFIT.

Without PROFIT, businesses lack the ability to attract capital or to generate cash flow to develop new products, to enter new markets, and to grow. Without PROFIT, they do not create jobs.

Five years ago, the state promised poor senior citizens and disabled people they could expect help paying their cable television bills under a tax imposed on the cable industry.

Since then, the state has collected a total of $9.2 million from the tax — but not a dime has gone to help low-income cable subscribers.

After Gov. Jon Corzine signed the law creating the fund in 2006, no one ever developed a plan to disburse the money. It sat untouched and accumulating until Gov. Chris Christie drained the fund to help plug a big state budget hole last year, state Treasury Department spokesman Andy Pratt confirmed.

Although the tax money was earmarked for the Cable Television Universal Access Fund, "the money is all gone now," Pratt said. "The money was never used for the intended purpose."

N.J. tax to help low-income people pay cable TV bills was instead used to plug budget hole | NJ.com

Personally, I don't think taxpayers should have to subsidize cable TV for anyone. But it's the law, and this kind of stuff boils my blood. This is why NJ is such a mess. Hundreds of taxes and fees going into politician's slush funds.

Look at who voted for it. Its voting in taxes having the "rich" pay for something MORE for the "poor"

Its bullshit.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Good fucking grief.

This is a perfect example of why our pension system is broke. It should be illegal to use dedicated funds for the "general fund" Christie should know better.

Much as I dislike what Christie did, it is at least understandable. What is beyond comprehension is Corzine's stupid idea for subsidizing cable... and that he left the funds sitting there year after year while the state got further and further into debt.

bingo.

Now cable is a right? You people are insufferable.

We need a non-profit public option for cable/satellite tv. Seriously.

Ummmm....WHY?

I see...like cell phones? are they a basic utility too?

you do realize that when you up the "basics" or that is when you level someone UP absent merit as a motivator, from point say Z to V, it costs money and short circuits the system. Thats the social aspect...

as for the free market aspect- Your apparent answer that; why do the providers of a service need to generate above operating cost revenue appears to me to so so intellectually vacuous, I can scarcely believe you made it. Do you want to re-phrase?

Last edited:
Ummmm....WHY?

I see...like cell phones? are they a basic utility too?

you do realize that when you up the "basics" or that is when you level someone UP absent merit as a motivator, from point say Z to V, it costs money and short circuits the system. Thats the social aspect...

as for the free market aspect- Your apparent answer that; why do the providers of a service need to generate above operating cost revenue appears to me to so so intellectually vacuous, I can scarcely believe you made it. Do you wan to re-phrase?

I can believe he posed such an intellectually vacuous question. It's completely consistent with his inane worldview and lack of useful knowledge.

What all do the taxpayers provide for the poor...............

Housing, healthcare, welfare cash, education, transportation, cell phones, internet, food stamps......................I mean, WTF? Why work anymore?

Interesting observation, any ideas on what might be done to remedy the situation?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back