Steak Marinade

gop_jeff said:
I am a novice griller. However, I love to grill steaks on the propane grill. Does anyone have any ideas for some good marinades?
Yes...Don't marinate.
Use a dry rub instead, marinating takes the natural juices away from the
steak. I HIGHLY reccomend Uncle Chris' Steak Seasoning. Click here.
Hard to find sometimes but worth ordering online.
Always allow meat to cook on it's own when grilling.
NEVER NEVER NEVER poke, smash, cut, or mess with the meat.
Only exception is if you HAVE to use a meat thermometer to know when it
has reached desired wellness (or lack thereof). Still try to keep it minimal.
When finished cooking allow the meat to "rest" for 1-2 minutes (2 max).
This will allow the meat to lock in the juices and flavor.

gop_jeff said:
I am a novice griller. However, I love to grill steaks on the propane grill. Does anyone have any ideas for some good marinades?
Depends on the steak, Jeff. A GOOD steak should be left alone for the most part, sadly it's hard to come by a good steak these days for a reasonable price IMO. So, many times I use a mix of Soy sauce an Worcestershire sauce. Zip-lock it for at least a few hours (overnight is okay). Great for thick pork chops too.

Already cooked some up on Tuesday... I'm just talking in general.

Joker, I've never even heard of a dry rub... interesting.

Mr. P said:
Depends on the steak, Jeff. A GOOD steak should be left alone for the most part, sadly it's hard to come by a good steak these days for a reasonable price IMO. So, many times I use a mix of Soy sauce an Worcestershire sauce. Zip-lock it for at least a few hours (overnight is okay). Great for thick pork chops too.

I would have never thought to use soy sauce. Sounds good! :thup:

gop_jeff said:
Already cooked some up on Tuesday... I'm just talking in general.

Joker, I've never even heard of a dry rub... interesting.
Careful with salt.
The brand I reccomneded is a good blend, and you can add whatever it
doesn't have that you like.

on the dry rub for steaks...I use Garlic salt,fresh ground pepper.sage and parsley...wait until the grill is hot(before placing the steak on the grill) so the juice is sealed in the meat...turn over to seal the other side then let them alone until cooked the proper amount of time...seven minutes on both sides for medium...adjust from there!

I'm with Mr.P on the chops...tried his receipe and they were great!

A few pinches of Kosher or Sea Salt on each side, fresh ground Pepper too, and grill :) That's the only dry I use.

Make SURE you use kosher for all cooking. :)

JOKER96BRAVO said:
Yes...Don't marinate.
Use a dry rub instead, marinating takes the natural juices away from the
steak. I HIGHLY reccomend Uncle Chris' Steak Seasoning. Click here.
Hard to find sometimes but worth ordering online.
Always allow meat to cook on it's own when grilling.
NEVER NEVER NEVER poke, smash, cut, or mess with the meat.
Only exception is if you HAVE to use a meat thermometer to know when it
has reached desired wellness (or lack thereof). Still try to keep it minimal.
When finished cooking allow the meat to "rest" for 1-2 minutes (2 max).
This will allow the meat to lock in the juices and flavor.

So.. what's your basis for the false claims that marinades "take the natural juice" away from steaks?

I supposed you should tell that to the last few Tri-tip's and Flank steaks i've marinated which were filled with natural juices...

Additionally, you're going to want to let the steaks rest 5-10 minutes (more if it's a roast or larger cut of meat)..

Dry rubs are great, as are marinades - both have their place in culinary and each one provides a distinct culinary experience...

• Thanks
Reactions: dmp
gop_jeff said:

What kind of steaks Jeff? e.g. which cut's are you working with?

If you're still going to Blue Max and getting a nice cut like a Rib Steak, I'd just salt and pepper them - allow them to come up to room tempurature BEFORE COOKING - grill em' for about 4-6min (on HIGH HEAT - allow the grill to warm up as hot as it can get first before putting the meat on) per side depeding on the doneness level you'd like...

-Cp said:
So.. what's your basis for the false claims that marinades "take the natural juice" away from steaks?

I supposed you should tell that to the last few Tri-tip's and Flank steaks i've marinated which were filled with natural juices...

Additionally, you're going to want to let the steaks rest 5-10 minutes (more if it's a roast or larger cut of meat)..

Dry rubs are great, as are marinades - both have their place in culinary and each one provides a distinct culinary experience...
It's not a false claim. When you soak steak in liquid, it allows the liquid
into the steak. It also allows the natural liquid out to be mixed with the
marinade and "diluted" if you will. Of course, the marinade will replace what is
lost but it's not the same.

JOKER96BRAVO said:
It's not a false claim. When you soak steak in liquid, it allows the liquid
into the steak. It also allows the natural liquid out to be mixed with the
marinade and "diluted" if you will. Of course, the marinade will replace what is
lost but it's not the same.

That is a false claim - what makes you think that the liquid in the marinade somehow forces the meat juices out? If so, how the hell do those meat juices get out of the zip-lock bag I'm marinating it in?

Do you know what "steak juice" really is? It's a combination of fat and blood...

That's why fatty meats are always more "juicy" when cooked than are lean cuts...

What does draw moisture out of meats is salt - hence why if you use a soy-sauce-based marindate, do not add salt... Additionally, do not salt the steaks too long before cooking them...

What marindaes ARE used for is to flavor the meat - the liquid does not somehow magically "soak into the meat" and replace the meat's juices.. Rather, marinades are used on cuts that are lean (e.g. lower in flavor because of reduced fat content), tough or have little natural flavor. The reason for this is because of the acidity you add to the marinade which helps break down connective tissue in those leaner or tougher cuts. The flavors latch onto the outside of the meat so you have a more flavorful experience.

With all due respect, your idea of marinades is misguided at best....

-Cp said:
What kind of steaks Jeff? e.g. which cut's are you working with?

If you're still going to Blue Max and getting a nice cut like a Rib Steak, I'd just salt and pepper them - allow them to come up to room tempurature BEFORE COOKING - grill em' for about 4-6min (on HIGH HEAT - allow the grill to warm up as hot as it can get first before putting the meat on) per side depeding on the doneness level you'd like...

My wife usually gets T-bones, from this place. I do make sure to heat my grill up nice and hot before throwing the steaks on.

It's a propane grill but I do throw in charcoal briquettes at the bottom for flavor.

archangel said:
on the dry rub for steaks...I use Garlic salt,fresh ground pepper.sage and parsley...wait until the grill is hot(before placing the steak on the grill) so the juice is sealed in the meat...turn over to seal the other side then let them alone until cooked the proper amount of time...seven minutes on both sides for medium...adjust from there!

I'm with Mr.P on the chops...tried his receipe and they were great!

The wife can't have too much garlic, so I might have to use kosher salt instead, but that sounds like a good rub.

-Cp said:

I will probably end up trying both methods and seeing what everyone likes. Like I said, I'm a novice, so everyone's input is very much appreciated! :D

gop_jeff said:
My wife usually gets T-bones, from this place. I do make sure to heat my grill up nice and hot before throwing the steaks on.

It's a propane grill but I do throw in charcoal briquettes at the bottom for flavor.

All of our experiences from that place have been horrible - but nonetheless, T-bones are a great cut of meat (they're a small porterhouse actually) with the New York on one side and a mini-fillet on the other..

If you want great flavor using a propane grill, I'd recommend going to a pace like Home Depot and getting a wood-chip smoker box (I have one) and putting soaked, hard-wood in it such as Hickory or Misquite...

Additionally, there are places that also sell used wine-barrel oak pieces which you can use in a similar fashion...

Fyi.. if you want better meat, I'd highly recommend this place:

http://www.google.com/local?hl=en&f=l&q=blue+max&near=Puyallup,+WA&btnG=Search

And if you demand the best meat going - then these guys are worth the drive and the money:

http://www.dougsqualitymeats.com/

Been going to Doug over 3yrs now.... best of the best IMO and just about anyone who has tried Doug's Meat... they just can't seem to get enough of his meat... .after all, his meat is there for your pleasure...

There's just no beating Doug's meat... :p

Forum List

Back