Steak Marinade

gop_jeff said:
My wife usually gets T-bones, from this place. I do make sure to heat my grill up nice and hot before throwing the steaks on.

It's a propane grill but I do throw in charcoal briquettes at the bottom for flavor.

Try putting cedar chips in a bowl of water, and placing those under the hood whilst cooking :)

dmp said:
Try putting cedar chips in a bowl of water, and placing those under the hood whilst cooking :)

Actually, Cedar is better for Salmon or Poultry.. :)

Mr. P said:
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
I'm sorry man, I just feel out the chair when I read that!

Carry on... :rotflmao:
How did I miss that? :laugh:

-Cp said:
All of our experiences from that place have been horrible - but nonetheless, T-bones are a great cut of meat (they're a small porterhouse actually) with the New York on one side and a mini-fillet on the other..

If you want great flavor using a propane grill, I'd recommend going to a pace like Home Depot and getting a wood-chip smoker box (I have one) and putting soaked, hard-wood in it such as Hickory or Misquite...

Additionally, there are places that also sell used wine-barrel oak pieces which you can use in a similar fashion...

Fyi.. if you want better meat, I'd highly recommend this place:

http://www.google.com/local?hl=en&f=l&q=blue+max&near=Puyallup,+WA&btnG=Search

And if you demand the best meat going - then these guys are worth the drive and the money:

http://www.dougsqualitymeats.com/

Been going to Doug over 3yrs now.... best of the best IMO and just about anyone who has tried Doug's Meat... they just can't seem to get enough of his meat... .after all, his meat is there for your pleasure...

There's just no beating Doug's meat... :p
You really said that!

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to -Cp again

dmp said:
HA! That saying has been on the board SEVERAL Times... :D

I can say the very THOUGHT of Doug's Meat in my mouth gets me going.
Umm, how hard is it to 'get you going'? :laugh:

2 10 - 16 oz ribeyes or bones.

Marinade:

8 oz pepsi

two spoons of garlic (juicy from a fresh open bottle)

some whatsthishere sauce

just a dab of honey (not much) less than a teaspoon

spinkle with onion salt

cut up an onion with one of those counter chopper thingies so it gets juicy and you have to use a sweegie to rake it off the board

Put all this in a glass caserole dish, put a cover on it, put it in the frige for 3 to 4 hours!

Toss it on the grille!

Eat!

-Cp said:
That is a false claim - what makes you think that the liquid in the marinade somehow forces the meat juices out? If so, how the hell do those meat juices get out of the zip-lock bag I'm marinating it in?
Who said anything about them getting out of the bag. They get out of the steak.

-Cp said:
Do you know what "steak juice" really is? It's a combination of fat and blood...

That's why fatty meats are always more "juicy" when cooked than are lean cuts...
I understand that. I guess you only cook fatty meats.

-Cp said:
What does draw moisture out of meats is salt - hence why if you use a soy-sauce-based marindate, do not add salt... Additionally, do not salt the steaks too long before cooking them...
I believe I already said that.

-Cp said:
What marindaes ARE used for is to flavor the meat - the liquid does not somehow magically "soak into the meat" and replace the meat's juices.. Rather, marinades are used on cuts that are lean (e.g. lower in flavor because of reduced fat content), tough or have little natural flavor. The reason for this is because of the acidity you add to the marinade which helps break down connective tissue in those leaner or tougher cuts. The flavors latch onto the outside of the meat so you have a more flavorful experience.

With all due respect, your idea of marinades is misguided at best....
So you're trying to tell me that a marinade only affects the "outside of the meat"??? What a load. Try this... Make your normal marinade and throw some
blue food coloring in there. toss in some steak and tell me it only affects the
outside. By allowing the marinade to be absorbed into the steak, you are
diluting the blood and starting an early breakdown of any fat content in the
steak (which you want to happen on the grill).

JOKER96BRAVO said:
So you're trying to tell me that a marinade only affects the "outside of the meat"??? What a load. Try this... Make your normal marinade and throw some
blue food coloring in there. toss in some steak and tell me it only affects the
outside. By allowing the marinade to be absorbed into the steak, you are
diluting the blood and starting an early breakdown of any fat content in the
steak (which you want to happen on the grill).

I don't see him saying that at all.

The 'juices' of the steak MIX with the marinade; they juices don't simply go away. The in essence become PART of the marinade. That's different than 'losing the juices'; and the implication that meat may somehow not be as 'juicy'.

“Marinades are used to accomplish three very specific tasks: to tenderize, to add flavor, and to preserve or add moisture (emphasis mine) to the meat,“ - ammy Algood, food professional and spokesperson for the state’s “Pick Tennessee Products” campaign.

dmp said:
I don't see him saying that at all.

The 'juices' of the steak MIX with the marinade; the juices don't simply go away. The in essence become PART of the marinade. That's different than 'losing the juices'; and the implication that meat may somehow not be as 'juicy'.
I guess I prefer the natural blood and fat to work with vs adding more
liquids. I like the fat to break down on the grill.

Interesting:

Marinades are usually made up of three components: acid, oil, and herbs. The acid helps to partially denature the meat's proteins,opening up "tunnels" in the meat structure where flavor can seep in. But marinades mostly penetrate only the surface. Marinades work best on meats such as chicken breast and fish, because the muscle structure is not as dense as it is in steak.

For denser meat, marinades work best when the meat is cut into smaller pieces so the marinade can penetrate a larger surface area. However, if marinades are left on too long, the acids can "cook" the surface, causing the meat to dry out. Some meats, such as pork and steak, can marinate for hours. Other less dense cuts of meat, such as chicken breast and most fish, only need to stay in a marinade for a short time.

http://missvickie.com/howto/spices/marinades.html

JOKER96BRAVO said:
To each his own.
Sorry I got a little "heated" in this topic.
Totally uncalled for.

Dude - NO worries....it's like discussing Politics or Religion; a Man takes his steak seriously.

:D

gop_jeff said:
I am a novice griller. However, I love to grill steaks on the propane grill. Does anyone have any ideas for some good marinades?

olive oli, salt and pepper....that is it

Forum List

Back