States' Rebellion Against Food Stamp Cuts Grows

J.E.D

Gold Member
Jul 28, 2011
States' Rebellion Against Food Stamp Cuts Grows

When Congress passed a farm bill earlier this year, it expected to save $8.6 billion over 10 years by tightening what many say is a loophole in the food stamp, or SNAP, program. But it's not going to happen.

You see, Congress left states an opening to avoid the cuts. And so far, nearly half of the states participating have decided to take that option — a move that could erase the promised savings.

"Since the passage of the farm bill, states have found ways to cheat, once again, on signing up people for food stamps," Boehner, an Ohio Republican, told reporters Thursday. "And so I would hope that the House would act to try to stop this cheating and this fraud from continuing."

The cuts were related to a program known as "heat and eat." In the past, it had allowed the participating states to give low-income households as little as $1 a year in home heating aid so they'd qualify for more food stamps.

States said it made the program easier to administer and got help to those who needed it. But the maneuver was called a loophole by both Republicans and Democrats. So last month, Congress agreed to raise the amount of utility assistance states would have to pay to trigger the provision — to more than $20 a year.

The idea was that many of the states that use "heat and eat" would decide it wasn't worth their while. The expected result? Some 850,000 food stamp recipients would have their benefits cut an average $90 a month, which is where the savings would come in.

Turns out, Congress was wrong.

Last week, Pennsylvania's Republican governor, Tom Corbett, announced he would spend an additional $8 million in heating assistance this year to prevent a $300 million cut in food stamp benefits for state residents.

"Gov. Corbett took the appropriate steps to make sure that Pennsylvania's children are fed, and that families in need are not impacted by what is one of the most substantial federal cuts to food benefits," said Kait Gillis, a spokeswoman for Pennsylvania's Department of Public Welfare.

Gillis says it's kind of a win-win for the state, because the "$300 million that individuals receive in SNAP assistance is then spent in Pennsylvania."

:clap2:

• Banned
r-JOHN-BOEHNER-CRIES-NASA-large570.jpg

well, the taxpayers in Pennsylvania will be holding the bag so what do any of you care..

some of you are small minded little people who don't care ABOUT the TAXPAYER just give give give you the MONEY

Last edited:
I read this somewhere just yesterday..I think it was the newspaper...Boehner and his republicans can kiss my ass. I am still pissed after reading a few chapters of rebloodlicans and democrips..they want to cut something? Cut the damn defense budget that is more than EVERY NATION COMBINED!

I read this somewhere just yesterday..I think it was the newspaper...Boehner and his republicans can kiss my ass. I am still pissed after reading a few chapters of rebloodlicans and democrips..they want to cut something? Cut the damn defense budget that is more than EVERY NATION COMBINED!

I agree, but that will never happen, insane defense spending is the GOP's baby.

The minimal savings in cutting food stamps now has food pantries running bare, school lunches skyrocketing, and kids going hungry. This has put a massive strain on local government and was a massive disaster.

Attacking the poor and elderly does nothing but cause more problems.

Also causes them to vote Democrat. The republicans as usual are shooting themselves in the foot when they had a pretty good chance at winning big come November.

well, the taxpayers in Pennsylvania will be holding the bag so what do any of you care..

some of you are small minded little people who don't care ABOUT the TAXPAYER just give give give you the MONEY

Each day another human (or humans) become totally dependent upon government handouts.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have" - Thomas Jefferson

Watch the video in this LiveLeak link: LiveLeak.com - Do you know how to catch wild pigs?

You would applaud if it was the industrial military complex doing it. At least here actual people who are starving are getting fed...I know it must piss you bastards off.

You would applaud if it was the industrial military complex doing it. At least here actual people who are starving are getting fed...I know it must piss you bastards off.

You dumb jew hating piece of shit. Poor people suffer from obesity, not hunger. This is nothing mroe than the states ripping off the federal gov't, costing actual taxpayers money.

You dumb jew hating piece of shit. Poor people suffer from obesity, not hunger. This is nothing mroe than the states ripping off the federal gov't, costing actual taxpayers money.
Thanks for proving my point about the MIC. You also are an idiot if you think people don't starve in this country.

A good chunk of that free food goes to illegals and gangstas.

That should be stopped I think you should prove you are a US Citizen to get ANY kind of welfare.

So the states are bilking Uncle Sam and we're supposed to applaud? I don't get it.

States are taking advantage of the law as it was written. Kind of like venture capitalists are taking advantage of tax laws as they are written. Don't like it? Change the law. Governors have found a way around hurtful cuts and I applaud their actions.

$8 million/12.76 million people = 63 CENTS per person

OMG you poor Keystoners...63 cents a year per person to help feed your neighbors.

Stop trying to hide behind your race, lad.

He doesn't hate Jews, he hates you.

$8 million/12.76 million people = 63 CENTS per person

OMG you poor Keystoners...63 cents a year per person to help feed your neighbors.

well you find it chump change
YOU should PAY for all of it

Does anyone know if the real fraud behind the food stamp program was addressed or are we still just handing tax dollars over there? One would think that the opponents of SNAP would be all over this. Or are we just going to harangue one loophole, the part that helps people while turning away whilst the other loophole does far more damage.
Looking for Fraud in All the Wrong Places - In These Times

Last edited:

You have not volunteered in low income schools then.

You have no compassion for children who truly need the help to eat?

Forum List

Back