Star Trek is the worst.

I think the first interracial kiss on TV was between Kirk and Uhura.

Ahead of its time.

Actually, the first interracial kiss on TV did include Bill Shatner, but it was 10 years earlier and the woman in question was France Nguyen (a Vietnamese / French actress).

In 1958, on the "Ed Sullivan Show" Shatner kissed Nguyen in a reprise of a scene from their Broadway production of "The World of Suzie Wong".

Actually, the first interracial kiss on TV did include Bill Shatner, but it was 10 years earlier and the woman in question was France Nguyen (a Vietnamese / French actress).

In 1958, on the "Ed Sullivan Show" Shatner kissed Nguyen in a reprise of a scene from their Broadway production of "The World of Suzie Wong".
Maybe I'm thinking of the first interracial kiss on a TV drama.

Maybe I'm thinking of the first interracial kiss on a TV drama.

Actually, it was the first Black / White interracial kiss on TV. There had been several up to that time, but the women in question were always Asian or Eurasian.

Using Kirk to DE-populate your planet is one of the dumbest ideas of all time.

There wasn't an alien women he wouldn't beam.

View attachment 545268
Apparently, #metoo isn't a 23rd Century idea.
At the time there was a fear that we were overpopulating the earth.
That fear faded, just like the global warming fear will fade as it becomes more apparent that the predictions are not becoming true.
Bones got the ugly ones.
startreklalcaldjald.jpg

The Lizardman was a scary one when I was a kid. (the arena)
But watching it later as a teenager he looked ridiculous.
startrekareanlizardman2jcskdjhsck.jpg

startrekareanlizardman1hjdchsakdh.jpg

This has started me thinking and while the incidents of interracial kissing on TV are widely documented (and celebrated).

What I can't seem to remember or even find reference to is the first time on TV, or other medium, where the kiss wasn't a white male and a female of another race.

Apparently, TV audiences found a kiss between a white woman and a man of a different race less socially acceptable. I can only speculate on the reasons for that.

The first even mention of an interracial relationship where the man was not white was the 1957 movie, "Sayonara" where a white woman, who was jilted by her white lover (Marlon Brando) for a Japanese woman, expressed a desire to sleep with a Japanese man who, up to that point, was carrying on a flirtation with her. The Japanese man by the way was played, rather unconvincingly, by Ricardo Montalban. The relationship is never shown, other than the flirting, and only indirectly referenced.

In the 1963 movie, "55 Days at Peking", the stunningly beautiful Ava Gardner played a Russian aristocrat who had an affair with a Chinese general. The relationship is acknowledged, but never shown. In fact, the two characters never appear together on screen. The "Chinese" general was played by the white actor, Leo Genn.

The Mark of Gideon​

An interesting episode.
The planet Gideon has an overpopulation problem, so they capture Captain Kick so that hey can give their population Kirk's deadly vegan choriomeningitis virus and cause a pandemic to depopulate their planet.
Star Trek had some wild writers.

Turns out that Anthony Fauci was a part time Science Fiction Writer in the 1960's....

This has started me thinking and while the incidents of interracial kissing on TV are widely documented (and celebrated).

What I can't seem to remember or even find reference to is the first time on TV, or other medium, where the kiss wasn't a white male and a female of another race.

Apparently, TV audiences found a kiss between a white woman and a man of a different race less socially acceptable. I can only speculate on the reasons for that.

The first even mention of an interracial relationship where the man was not white was the 1957 movie, "Sayonara" where a white woman, who was jilted by her white lover (Marlon Brando) for a Japanese woman, expressed a desire to sleep with a Japanese man who, up to that point, was carrying on a flirtation with her. The Japanese man by the way was played, rather unconvincingly, by Ricardo Montalban. The relationship is never shown, other than the flirting, and only indirectly referenced.

In the 1963 movie, "55 Days at Peking", the stunningly beautiful Ava Gardner played a Russian aristocrat who had an affair with a Chinese general. The relationship is acknowledged, but never shown. In fact, the two characters never appear together on screen. The "Chinese" general was played by the white actor, Leo Genn.

Forum List

Back