• Don't care

Votes: 1 3.3%

• Total voters

American_Jihad

Flaming Libs/Koranimals
May 1, 2012
Gulf of Mex 26.609, -82.220
Stand-your-ground law

A stand-your-ground law states that a person may use force in self-defense when there is reasonable belief of a threat, without an obligation to retreat first. In some cases, a person may use deadly force in public areas without a duty to retreat. Under these legal concepts, a person is justified in using deadly force in certain situations and the "stand your ground" law would be a defense or immunity to criminal charges and civil suit. The difference between immunity and a defense is that an immunity bars suit, charges, detention and arrest. A defense, such as an affirmative defense, permits a plaintiff or the state to seek civil damages or a criminal conviction but may offer mitigating circumstances that justifies the accused's conduct.

More than half of the states in the United States have adopted the Castle doctrine, stating that a person has no duty to retreat when their home is attacked. Some states go a step further, removing the duty of retreat from other locations. "Stand Your Ground", "Line In The Sand" or "No Duty To Retreat" laws thus state that a person has no duty or other requirement to abandon a place in which he has a right to be, or to give up ground to an assailant. Under such laws, there is no duty to retreat from anywhere the defender may legally be.[1] Other restrictions may still exist; such as when in public, a person must be carrying firearms in a legal manner, whether concealed or openly.

Stand-your-ground law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thunder-Cmbt-380-mat-L-fram.jpg

I don't need a writ to tell me this.
This goes back to primal humanity. As with any Father worth his weight in sand, I would lay my own life so that my children would continue theirs. And I would defend my wife the same.
Any man who presents himself on my property in a threatening manner, or even in a perceived threat will result in his death or mine.
That is my right as a human being. And no law written or unwritten supersedes it.

Last edited:
Rather live in a state with a "Stand your Ground" Rule as opposed to a state with a "Duty to Retreat" Law! It is every man's duty to protect himself, and his family.

Until recently, here in Pennsylvania you had to retreat first if it was daylight, you didn't have to at night.

Now all that's changed. When you're on your property and you're being attacked, you don't have to retreat, you can "Stand Your Ground".

Why is that?

Well, have you ever heard of Property Rights?

Correct.

Just because a criminal thinks he has the right to me, my space or my belongings, that doesn't mean that I should be required to try and escape.
I should have every right to stand my ground and reply in kind

:cool:

People who think it's ok to beat another person up need to get it through their heads that this will no longer be tolerated. I think the recent road rage shooting of the football player tells us you can't walk up to someone you don't know's car and try to open the door and pull them out and beat them up. If they have a gun you are dead and the cops won't arrest them for shooting you.

A neighbor of mine ambushed me at my front door a couple of weeks ago over an issue concerning his girlfriend.

I retreated 3 times as he lunged at me before I told him that at his next felony assault I was going to shoot him if he does not keep his distance.

The moron then said "why should I keep my distance" and I answered "because it's the law."

He then said "I never heard of that law" to which I replied "you are going to hear my 45ACP going off if you do it again."

Retreat laws are not a bad idea, whether legally required or not.

I would hate to have shot this azzhole and then had to go through all the police procedure and harassment of justifying it, as it were.

As it was, the dumbazz is still alive and I did not need to shoot him although according to the laws of my State I could have -- there is no duty to retreat here.

Correct.

Just because a criminal thinks he has the right to me, my space or my belongings, that doesn't mean that I should be required to try and escape.

People who think it's ok to beat another person up need to get it through their heads that this will no longer be tolerated. I think the recent road rage shooting of the football player tells us you can't walk up to someone you don't know's car and try to open the door and pull them out and beat them up. If they have a gun you are dead and the cops won't arrest them for shooting you.
Situational awareness is critical in a situation like that.

If I see anyone approaching my car I will normally start my draw on them, at least unsnapping the holster and grabbing the tang of the pistol.

Until recently, here in Pennsylvania you had to retreat first if it was daylight, you didn't have to at night.

Now all that's changed. When you're on your property and you're being attacked, you don't have to retreat, you can "Stand Your Ground".

Why is that?

Well, have you ever heard of Property Rights?
LIke I said, it could save you a lot of trouble in the long term to safely retreat and maintain your interval while you shout at them to "stop!".

Your .380 Bersa is a great concealed carry with plenty of punch. :cool:
These mouse guns are easy to carry but not very good in a gunfight.

They are quite inaccurate and even if you manage to hit something/someone you will only wound it/him and NOT "stop" it/him.

Last edited:
Correct.

I agree completely. But you should check and be sure you live in a Stand-Your-Ground state. Because if you do not, and if you use deadly force to defend yourself against an attacker when there was opportunity for you to retreat (run away - evade) you could (and probably will) be charged with a crime and/or sued.

If you live in a Stand-Your-Ground state, and you have a gun in your home, and someone is breaking in, you can deliberately wait until the door (or window) is breached and shoot (or stab, or batter) the intruder as soon as he steps inside. But if you do not live in a Stand-Your-Ground state, position yourself in a way that you can show police investigators you were cornered and there was no way to retreat. Then shoot the intruder.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back