Split pea soup

364829263_818dd8f1bb.jpg

I want a spice cabinet like this :lol: That is kind of cool

I used to cook a LOT, and always wanted a six-burner gas stove too. Wishful thinking?

In spite of the rather disastrous pea soup outcome yesterday, I did have an AHA! moment, which I'll share.

Lately there's been more and more talk about germs and viruses being capable of mutating and the increased danger of critters lurking around your kitchen's work area, plus the fact that they are becoming immune to the usual OTC disinfectant methods. So, since I was working with both a ham hock and also chopping onions, using the same cutting board, I decided after I did the ham I would put the cutting board in the microwave for 2 minutes and nuke any vermin that might have lingered before I chopped the onions. I use an acrylic board, which usually goes in the dishwasher a couple of times a week, but the microwave is so much faster and could be used throughout an entire prep process for something really complicated.

Mine needs rescuing. I used the recipe from the booklet that came with my slow cooker and it came out BLAH! Used a ham hock and water, one bayleaf and a teaspoon of salt as the only flavoring. So today I'll add some carrots and celery--more blah vegetables.

Anyone got any ideas how to give it more pizazz?? What do they add in restaurants to make it creamy and actually TASTE LIKE split pea soup instead of pea-flavored water?

Ironically, Cup-A-Soup used to make a package that was delicious. Just add a cup of water and pop in the microwave. But of course they don't make it anymore because they discovered Maggie liked it.
it is because you are making split pea soup!:razz:

So I gave some of my bland broth to my sister to play around with, and after she tried the base, said it tasted like "Nanny food." (Our own grandmother, RIP, an English puritan or Irish fishwife depending on her mood, thought that "good food" meant boiling it to death and adding a dash of salt.)

Undaunted, I doctored the bland mess by adding one cup each chopped celery and carrots, then I pan fried some of that already-packaged diced ham (probably disgusting entrails), and added that (about another cup) for flavor. Brought it all to a boil again, then added about a cup of powdered mashed potatoes for a little thickness (those have no taste as is). It was much, much better, but since what I thought was going to be a simple prep that would last through 4-5 meals but turned out to be a major operation, I don't think I'll make it again.

Thanks for all your hints from your own test kitchens!

In spite of the rather disastrous pea soup outcome yesterday, I did have an AHA! moment, which I'll share.

Lately there's been more and more talk about germs and viruses being capable of mutating and the increased danger of critters lurking around your kitchen's work area, plus the fact that they are becoming immune to the usual OTC disinfectant methods. So, since I was working with both a ham hock and also chopping onions, using the same cutting board, I decided after I did the ham I would put the cutting board in the microwave for 2 minutes and nuke any vermin that might have lingered before I chopped the onions. I use an acrylic board, which usually goes in the dishwasher a couple of times a week, but the microwave is so much faster and could be used throughout an entire prep process for something really complicated.

I'm not sure a microwave will kill prions, or even bacteria. Heat will kill bacteria, if it's high enough and kept high enough for long enough. But I've seen flies who came out of microwaves after being zapped (it was an ACCIDENT), and they flew out apparently none the worse for wear. Likewise, you can put metal in microwaves so long as it isn't too wide a strip...for example, cups with gilded rims won't make your microwave explodes because they're too small for the microwaves (I assume) to hit.

Regarding the split pea soup...use chicken or vegetable broth instead of water, or in addition to water. Shredded carrots will add color, but no flavor. Always use a little finely chopped onion.

Smoked pork shanks are better than hocks.

I'm not sure a microwave will kill prions, or even bacteria. Heat will kill bacteria, if it's high enough and kept high enough for long enough. But I've seen flies who came out of microwaves after being zapped (it was an ACCIDENT), and they flew out apparently none the worse for wear. Likewise, you can put metal in microwaves so long as it isn't too wide a strip...for example, cups with gilded rims won't make your microwave explodes because they're too small for the microwaves (I assume) to hit.

Regarding the split pea soup...use chicken or vegetable broth instead of water, or in addition to water. Shredded carrots will add color, but no flavor. Always use a little finely chopped onion.

Smoked pork shanks are better than hocks.

Thanks for the tips. I turned the whole homemade soup thing over to my sister, who has a bigger kitchen and more time. I'm famous for buying all the ingredients for something, then don't ever get to it and the food rots waiting for me to put it together.

As for the microwave suggestion, I think that came from Dr. Oz when he was talking about "clean" kitchens that, after inspection, still had traces of E.Coli. He suggested either those vinyl sheets that can be tossed in the dishwasher or an acrylic one which can either be scrubbed with Lysol or zapped in the microwave. NEVER a wooden one, although more attractive.

Interesting about the flies, though. I think both flies and roaches will survive everything else following an apocalypse.

use some homemade stock veg or chix. add some lime juice instead of vinnigar, try some spices, thyme, pepper what ever you like. remember recipes are just a guide, If you like something add it and try. you only have to follow recipes if you are baking, then it really matters!!!

water with a little bleach in it works really good to kill germs put it in a spray bottle and use it to disinfect all your tools and work area before and after cooking. Keep everything in the safe temp zone and you should be fine!!! if you are going to use it in the same time and recipe you don't have to worry about cross contamination, but better safe than sorry.

Bleach doesn't kill everything, and people forget there's time involved in disinfecting as well. For example, you have to boil things so many minutes to kill off certain bacteria, and surfaces have to be wet with disinfectant for a certain amount of time for the disinfectant to kill things. Most disinfectants do NOT kill on contact.

When it comes right down to it regular hand or dishwasher washing, where the surfaces are bombarded for a good period of time with extremely hot water and soap, then rinsed clean, is the absolute best way to kill germs and bacteria.

we are not talking about AID'S it is food. bleach and water pretty much kills everything that you will encounter in the kitchen. That is what they taught us in culinary school. once assembled and properly cooked at the proper temperature everything should be fine to eat without chances of food poisoning!!! then you have to worry about proper food handling after cooking!!! That is where most of the problems occur! remember if in doubt THROW IT OUT!!!!

Nothing worse than food poisoning. once you get it you will always be more careful of how you cook, where you eat and how the food has been cooked and handled.

one of the dirtiest things in the kitchen is your sponge, it spreads germs all over the place if not properly sanitized. I use one for cleaning utensils and one for wiping.

Bleach doesn't kill everything, and people forget there's time involved in disinfecting as well. For example, you have to boil things so many minutes to kill off certain bacteria, and surfaces have to be wet with disinfectant for a certain amount of time for the disinfectant to kill things. Most disinfectants do NOT kill on contact.

When it comes right down to it regular hand or dishwasher washing, where the surfaces are bombarded for a good period of time with extremely hot water and soap, then rinsed clean, is the absolute best way to kill germs and bacteria.

I think that's true. Sometimes when I have my hands all soaped up with disinfectant handsoap, I'll just smear some all over my cutting board, then wipe dry with a clean sponge. I think we tend to forget that our bodies already have terrific immune systems built in and usually go into immediate action if any critters try to enter.

one of the dirtiest things in the kitchen is your sponge, it spreads germs all over the place if not properly sanitized. I use one for cleaning utensils and one for wiping.

You wash them occasionally, or toss them and get new ones.

We use the dishwasher to wash our sponges. My mom uses a mild bleach bath and lets them soak for a bit along with the wash rags.

kee kee...bleach kills the aids virus...the aids virus doesnt really live outside of the human body...

split peas and green lentils are the same thing...

Forum List

Back