Thursday is pea soup day.

Why the Finns eat pea soup and pancakes on Thursdays.

Among the most popular dishes in Finland are: Meat Balls, Hot Sandwiches, Steaks, Macaroni Casserole, Beef or Pork Roast, Minced Meat in Sauce, Burgers, Fried Fish, Baked Fish, Meat Loaf, and various soups. One of the most traditional and common Finnish soups is pea soup made of green peas.

Pea soup (hernekeitto) is a very common food In Finland. It is traditionally eaten on Thursdays and accompanied by pancakes. During World War II the Finnish army was fed with pea soup. Finnish Defence Forces and for example many school restaurants still have the tradition of serving pea soup with pancakes for dessert for lunch every Thursday. Pea soup is also often served to large crowds in gatherings because it is easy to make in large amounts and most people like it.

Finns learn to eat pea soup as children. It is a popular school food because it is very cheap, healthy, and easy to prepare. Pork or carrots are often added to pea soup. Some people also like to add some mustard.

Pea Soup
(Source: www.finfood.fi)

500 g dried peas
1¼ litre water
1/2 tsp salt
1 onion
300 g smoked knuckle, slightly salted pork shoulder or side
1 tsp marjoram

For soaking the peas:
2 litre water and 2 tsp salt

Soak the peas in salted water for 6-12 hours. Pour the water away.
Place the peas, water and salt into a pot. Bring to the boil; skim off the residue and excess pea cases with a skimmer.
Peel and chop the onion. Add the onion and the whole amount of meat into the soup. Simmer for about one hour.
Take the meat away from the soup and let it cool. Slice into small cubes. Let the soup simmer until the peas are done. Add the meat cubes and season with marjoram.

I make pea soup weekly...

I use ham hocks for my meat.

Sounds good as long as you don’t make it weakly

Funny...

I actually love split pea soup.

I use Texas Sweet Red Onion, Poblano Pepper, Garlic, Carrots, two bags of dry split peas, pepper, Tony's Seasoning, Ham Hocks and Vegetable Broth and slow cook it all day in a slow cooker...

Adding carrots, I could do that! :eek:

With all this Mindful will be cooking and wondering if she is talking to actual cooks are guys messing with her...

You know people pay for my cooking!

I'm used to messing.

Aren't I........Marion?:4_13_65:

The recipe needs some carrots, celery, pepper and additional seasoning. I like to add thyme or a bit of Herbes de Provence to pea soup. And smoked ham shanks are better than the hocks.

The recipe needs some carrots, celery, pepper and additional seasoning. I like to add thyme or a bit of Herbes de Provence to pea soup. And smoked ham shanks are better than the hocks.

I will roll with chicharonnes and ham.

I thought you Jews weren't allowed to dine on the swine?? ... :dunno:

I was expecting that. Sooner or later.

Any excuse.

I make it without the pig. Duh.

What do you suggest I use? The head of a goat? Including the eyeballs?

Smoked turkey ham for you. I actually remember using it a long time ago. A little $5 smoked Turkey ham.

Any excuse.

Smoked turkey ham for you. I actually remember using it a long time ago. A little $5 smoked Turkey ham.

I'm having roast duck leg tonight. With red cabbage.

I do eat turkey bacon.

I like those Hebrew Nationals too. Not the ones at the Lincoln Memorial. :cool-45:

Any excuse.

No don't kill the goaties.
Mutton. go for it, it's supposedly fabulous.

Maybe I will. Thanks.

Forum List

Back