Split pea soup

MaggieMae

Reality bits
Apr 3, 2009
Mine needs rescuing. I used the recipe from the booklet that came with my slow cooker and it came out BLAH! Used a ham hock and water, one bayleaf and a teaspoon of salt as the only flavoring. So today I'll add some carrots and celery--more blah vegetables.

Anyone got any ideas how to give it more pizazz?? What do they add in restaurants to make it creamy and actually TASTE LIKE split pea soup instead of pea-flavored water?

Ironically, Cup-A-Soup used to make a package that was delicious. Just add a cup of water and pop in the microwave. But of course they don't make it anymore because they discovered Maggie liked it.

Mine needs rescuing. I used the recipe from the booklet that came with my slow cooker and it came out BLAH! Used a ham hock and water, one bayleaf and a teaspoon of salt as the only flavoring. So today I'll add some carrots and celery--more blah vegetables.

Anyone got any ideas how to give it more pizazz?? What do they add in restaurants to make it creamy and actually TASTE LIKE split pea soup instead of pea-flavored water?

Ironically, Cup-A-Soup used to make a package that was delicious. Just add a cup of water and pop in the microwave. But of course they don't make it anymore because they discovered Maggie liked it.

A little onion and Eve's suggestion a little garlic. A teaspoon of salt seems like too little, I use sea salt now and it really tastes good. I love the taste of celery.

first it is not split pea soup...its green lentil soup.....whew....now use as little water as possible..cook just till done....use a hand wand and a little cream..salt pepper...you got it going on girl!

simple is always better

A little onion and Eve's suggestion a little garlic. A teaspoon of salt seems like too little, I use sea salt now and it really tastes good. I love the taste of celery.

I forgot that it did call for an onion, but that hardly added anything to the flavor. And I had to add more salt. Maybe some celery salt will help.

more salt, onion, AND a teaspoon of vinegar should be added...maybe even a tablespoon...

my way...saute squashed garlic in the olive oil, when you smell the aroma, take it out.... then add diced onion to the oil and saute to where the edges turn a little brown....(this will add more flavor) also, add the bayleaf or 2 or even 3 to the onions while sauteing...this will release more of the flavor and oils in the bayleaf.... if you want you could dice really small celery and carrots to the onion mixture if you like....
then add the hamhock to the onion mixture as well and try to get some spots on it a little browned, this also adds more flavor... if you do not have a hamhock, you can use slightly browned bacon....

Then add peas, then use canned chicken broth instead of water where they just cover the peas and slow boil...keep adding chicken broth until done... and add a teaspoon or even tablespoon of vinegar...preferably white vinegar but truly, any kind will work, then taste for it needing more salt and pepper.

EDIT

i forgot to say, if you like it creamy, take about half the mixture out, so you have some of it with the split peas somewhat in tact, then you can use one of those hand emersing blendors to smooth the remaining soup, then add some cream to that, and add back in the other half of the soup that still had some texture.

first it is not split pea soup...its green lentil soup.....whew....now use as little water as possible..cook just till done....use a hand wand and a little cream..salt pepper...you got it going on girl!

simple is always better

I've made lentil soup before and added spinnach and it sure had more flavor, although spinnach by itself is also blah. I'll try that, and cream too. I may doctor the batch so much I'll need to throw it out but at least it was cheap!

I forgot that it did call for an onion, but that hardly added anything to the flavor. And I had to add more salt. Maybe some celery salt will help.

NOOOOOOO on the celery salt....

i made that mistake once...it is horrible in it.

more salt, onion, AND a teaspoon of vinegar should be added...maybe even a tablespoon...

my way...saute squashed garlic in the olive oil, when you smell the aroma, take it out.... then add diced onion to the oil and saute to where the edges turn a little brown....(this will add more flavor) also, add the bayleaf or 2 or even 3 to the onions while sauteing...this will release more of the flavor and oils in the bayleaf.... if you want you could dice really small celery and carrots to the onion mixture if you like....
then add the hamhock to the onion mixture as well and try to get some spots on it a little browned, this also adds more flavor... if you do not have a hamhock, you can use slightly browned bacon....

Then add peas, then use canned chicken broth instead of water where they just cover the peas and slow boil...keep adding chicken broth until done... and add a teaspoon or even tablespoon of vinegar...preferably white vinegar but truly, any kind will work, then taste for it needing more salt and pepper.

I can see now that I should have asked here before I made it.

1 cup chopped onion
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1 pound dried split peas
1 pound ham bone
2 cups diced ham
salt and pepper to taste

Saute the onion in bacon grease ;).

Oh yeah :)

try something new. Add a bit of basil leaves, and/or a cube of chicken bouillon, or maybe some lemon juice

lemon juice can be substituted for the vinegar. :)

but to save your soup...in a separate frying pan, fry up the onions, more bay leaf and maybe some bacon...infuse the oil with the garlic first, as mentioned above.... then add this to your soup mixture....with the lemon or vinegar.

1 cup chopped onion
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1 pound dried split peas
1 pound ham bone
2 cups diced ham
salt and pepper to taste

sounds yummy, I make lots of stuff in bacon drippings, it is a key ingredient and step in many of my dishes, I make an Italian pasta sauce with bacon, and sautee the onions and red and yellow peoppers in the bacon grease, and place in the sauce, along with the bacon. And sprinkle fresh romano cheese on top of the dish, It is to die for

Suddenly I am hungry, and in the mood to cook, and maybe come up with a new dish. Thanks Maggie

lemon juice can be substituted for the vinegar. :)

but to save your soup...in a separate frying pan, fry up the onions, more bay leaf and maybe some bacon...infuse the oil with the garlic first, as mentioned above.... then add this to your soup mixture....with the lemon or vinegar.

This is sounding very good. I'm now thinking of making some for Thanksgiving. We're having honey baked ham.

1 cup chopped onion
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1 pound dried split peas
1 pound ham bone
2 cups diced ham
salt and pepper to taste

sounds yummy, I make lots of stuff in bacon drippings, it is a key ingredient and step in many of my dishes, I make an Italian pasta sauce with bacon, and sautee the onions and red and yellow peoppers in the bacon grease, and place in the sauce, along with the bacon. And sprinkle fresh romano cheese on top of the dish, It is to die for

i minus out the green and red pepper...and just do the onions and bacon and romano or parmigiana cheese :) delish!!!

1 cup chopped onion
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1 pound dried split peas
1 pound ham bone
2 cups diced ham
salt and pepper to taste

i minus out the green and red pepper...and just do the onions and bacon and romano or parmigiana cheese :) delish!!!

I use yellow and red sweet peppers . I do not use green. I cannot make this without those 2 peppers, and don't forget to use diced tomatoes to make the sauce, no puree for me. I love to cook! I love my spice cabinet

Last edited:
Suddenly I am hungry, and in the mood to cook, and maybe come up with a new dish. Thanks Maggie

And I want to thank yall for contributions. So now my grocery list for later today will include

Chicken broth
Bacon
Celery
Carrots

I'll let you know how it turns out.

364829263_818dd8f1bb.jpg

I want a spice cabinet like this :lol: That is kind of cool

Forum List

Back