Specter Slips, Thanks "Republican" Committee for Primary Endorsement

Political Junky

Gold Member
May 27, 2009
It's time for Ol' Arlen to hang it up.

FOXNews.com - Specter Slips, Thanks 'Republican' Committee for Primary Endorsement

Updated May 12, 2010
Specter Slips, Thanks 'Republican' Committee for Primary Endorsement

FOXNews.com

Sen. Arlen Specter, who switched last year from a Republican to a Democrat after 45 years with the GOP, twice Tuesday thanked the local "Republican" committee for its endorsement though the group that endorsed him was the Allegheny County Democratic Committee.

Sen. Arlen Specter continues to have trouble remembering his party affiliation.

The Pennsylvania senator, who switched last year from a Republican to a Democrat after 45 years with the GOP, twice thanked the local "Republican" committee Tuesday for its endorsement -- though the group that endorsed him was the Allegheny County Democratic Committee.

The gaffe came exactly a week before Specter is set to face off against Rep. Joe Sestak in the Democratic primary
election. Though he misidentified the local committee, he remembered what race he was running in.

"I thank the Allegheny Republican Committee for endorsing me for the Democratic nomination ... great pleasure to be endorsed by the Allegheny County Republicans and together we'll win for victory, for a better state, for a better nation," he said.

Asked afterward about the slip, Specter said, "I think it's not unusual for anybody to misspeak from time to time," according to Pittsburgh's KDKA."I'm not a television commentator."

It's not the first time Specter's scrambled his party affiliation. He similarly called the Penn State College
Democrats the "College Republicans" last month when thanking the group for its endorsement.

The latest Quinnipiac University poll of the primary race showed Sestak closing in on Specter.

The poll showed Specter with 44 percent and Sestak with 42 percent, putting the congressman within the 3.2 percentage point margin of error. The poll of 945 likely Democratic voters was conducted May 5-10.

Well he's changed parties so many times he's lost track of which political wind he is blowing in at the moment.

Give the old guy a break huh?

He's kind of strange. I know he's been sick but I really don't think he's up to the job anymore.

He is a man that has no shame in doing things that are obviously for political expediency.
He is an example of how our political system can be manipulated.

He is a man that has no shame in doing things that are obviously for political expediency.
He is an example of how our political system can be manipulated.

I think it's less about how he has no shame, and more about how he's acting like a politician.

And everyone knows, the worst thing a politician can do is act like one.

I've voted for Specter a few times, I used to like his independent mindedness. But he isn't what he used to be. I just wish Sestak had a political spine.

I've voted for Specter a few times, I used to like his independent mindedness. But he isn't what he used to be. I just wish Sestak had a political spine.

I wish he would find another profession.

PA's a big enough state, you'd think we could get better choices. Add in Toomey, who's been trying hard to downplay his Santorum-esque culture warrior credentials, and we have the Three Stooges running for Senate.

I can't vote in the primary, I wonder if I'll bother in the general this time.

PA's a big enough state, you'd think we could get better choices. Add in Toomey, who's been trying hard to downplay his Santorum-esque culture warrior credentials, and we have the Three Stooges running for Senate.

Sorry. I'm still to young to run.

Sorry. I'm still to young to run.

I guess the biggest problem these days is, who in their right mind with half a brain cell would want to?

And when you rule out everybody in their right mind, and everybody with half an active brain cell.....we get what's left. Joy. :doubt:

Sen. Arlen Specter should change his name. He should only use his first initial and change his last name to Sphincter. Then he could be known as Sen. A. Sphincter which is exactly what he is.

Specter is one of the biggest bottomfeeders in D.C. He's the perfect example of what is wrong with Washington. ~BH

He hasn't always been. But he's been there way too long. Still don't like his opponents for either the primary or the general any better though. It's a sad election year when Darlin' Arlen is still in the running for least worst candidate on the ballot.

Chris Matthews confronted Specter on his slip about thanking the "republicans", which he did more than once, BTW.
Specter told Matthews that he'd voted for Rendell for governor while he was still a republican, but Matthews said later in the show that Specter supported the republican, Swann, in ads. They showed the ads. The old dude is trying so hard to deceive, sorta like McCain.

Forum List

Back