Special Counsel Asks Supreme Court To Rule Quickly Whether Trump Can Be Prosecuted

WASHINGTON (AP) — Special counsel Jack Smith on Monday asked the Supreme Court to take up and rule quickly on whether former President Donald Trump can be prosecuted on charges he plotted to overturn the 2020 election results.

Smith made his request for the court to act with unusual speed to prevent any delays that could push back the trial of the 2024 Republican presidential primary front-runner, currently set to begin on March 4, until after next year’s presidential election.

A federal judge ruled the case could go forward, but Trump signaled he would ask the federal appeals court in Washington to reverse that outcome. Smith is attempting to bypass the appeals court, the usual next step in the process, and have the Supreme Court take up the matter directly.

More at the link below...

SPECIAL COUNSEL PUSHES SCOTUS FOR SPEEDY TRUMP RULING

Wise move by Special Counsel Jack Smith to get speedy SCOTUS ruling. What do you think>
Smith just admitted to the world this is a political hit job.

Otherwise, why would he be worried about an election?

Let's find out.
Find out NOW.
What's wrong with that?
Yep. This is brilliant. Let's get the inevitable over with.

Can a President avoid the law because he was the President? If so, why the talk of pardoning himself?

Whatever. We will learn a bit about the Supreme Court here. We're so freaking damaged that it may not even matter.

What are the trump bootlickers going to complain about in this situation.

I think they are waiting for the 'memo' to arrive before they chime in.
Logically and blatantly, whether the accused is Biden, Trump, Obama, Clinton etc.. and whether the special counsel is Democrat or Republican, the unusual move to bypass the appeals court is twofold -

1 - To have the accused prosecuted before they can obtain immunity should they become president.

and..

2 - In an attempt, or thinking it will, to stop them running for president.

WASHINGTON (AP) — Special counsel Jack Smith on Monday asked the Supreme Court to take up and rule quickly on whether former President Donald Trump can be prosecuted on charges he plotted to overturn the 2020 election results.

Smith made his request for the court to act with unusual speed to prevent any delays that could push back the trial of the 2024 Republican presidential primary front-runner, currently set to begin on March 4, until after next year’s presidential election.

A federal judge ruled the case could go forward, but Trump signaled he would ask the federal appeals court in Washington to reverse that outcome. Smith is attempting to bypass the appeals court, the usual next step in the process, and have the Supreme Court take up the matter directly.

More at the link below...

SPECIAL COUNSEL PUSHES SCOTUS FOR SPEEDY TRUMP RULING

Wise move by Special Counsel Jack Smith to get speedy SCOTUS ruling. What do you think>
I cant imagine the Supreme Court is going to rule against presidential immunity. Do you have any idea how quickly everything would turn into a shitshow if they did?

Most Americans arent even aware that Obama executed a 16 year old American. He was specifically targeted in a drone strike. No trial, no jury, just straight to execution. Now me personally, i dont give a shit about a 16 year old who joins ISIS being droned, but Obama could easily be indicted on murder charges by conservative DA's who DO care.

Once again democrats fail to see how their moves against Trump will be used against their presidents too. The GOP WILL weaponize this if presidential immunity goes away.

Last edited:
So you just want to play the game of.....drag it out for as long as possible.
I get that ^^^^^

Jack Smith doesn't want to play that game.
Couldnt there be other reasons as well? Why would any defendent in existence want their ability to appeal removed? Why wouldnt they want a chance to win in the appeals courts and then also another chance to win in the Supreme Court?

Jack wants to take these extra chances away from Trump.

Yeah, pretty interesting. This gets it over with, one way or the other, and would take away his main argument.

This court? Who knows what they'll say, or what they'll do.

:popcorn:
That SC even though it is stacked will rule against Trump...

They are both weak arguments..

First a President is not immune from prosecution for doing thing that are not part of being President... If that was the case he could kill anyone including members of the SC and not be prosecuted...

Second, he saying because he wasn't convicted in the impeachment he then enjoys double jepordy... Mitch McConnell when no convicting said it was because it was an issue

Smith made it clear...

The US people should know if the man they are electing is a Criminal or not...

Obviously you don't care if you are voting for a criminal but some people do...

So thanks for telling us that you would vote a criminal into the White House.

First a President is not immune from prosecution for doing thing that are not part of being President... If that was the case he could kill anyone including members of the SC and not be prosecuted...

Second, he saying because he wasn't convicted in the impeachment he then enjoys double jepordy... Mitch McConnell when no convicting said it was because it was an issue
I don't remember seeing a preemptive move like this. Not of this magnitude.

Smith ain't screwing around.

Justice delayed, means Trump gets a 4 year "can't touch that" window if reelected.

During which time Trump promised to tear down the FBI, and the DOJ, to prevent them from prosecuting any of his crimes.

Smith made it clear...

The US people should know if the man they are electing is a Criminal or not...

Obviously you don't care if you are voting for a criminal but some people do...

So thanks for telling us that you would vote a criminal into the White House.
Not just because Trump is a criminal, but giving him the power of the presidency, means he can effectively tear down the ability of the federal government to prosecute him when he leaves office.

Through pardons and patronage, the president can shield himself from the law.

I cant imagine the Supreme Court is going to rule against presidential immunity. Do you have any idea how quickly everything would turn into a shitshow if they did?

Most Americans arent even aware that Obama executed a 16 year old American. He was specifically targeted in a drone strike. No trial, no jury, just straight to execution. Now me personally, i dont give a shit about a 16 year old who joins ISIS being droned, but Obama could easily be indicted on murder charges by conservative DA's who DO care.

Once again democrats fail to see how their moves against Trump will be used against their presidents too. The GOP WILL weaponize this if presidential immunity goes away.

so you believe the POTUS should be above the law and that laws should not apply to them?

Correct.

Impeachment is a political – not judicial – process; the claim of ‘double-jeopardy’ is as idiotic as it is dishonest.

so you believe the POTUS should be above the law and that laws should not apply to them?
Yes, otherwise we have chaos. Do you want to see conservative DA's indicting Obama on murder, or how about eco terrorism charges for Joe Biden if we find out he ordered the attack on Nord Stream pipeline?

There isnt a president in existence that cant be tried for dozens of crimes if we take away their immunity.

I can’t imagine the court would accept Trump’s claim that nothing he does while president could ever be subject to criminal prosecution.

No one in their right mind would believe that and would have far worse consequences for th country.

Yes, otherwise we have chaos. Do you want to see conservative DA's indicting Obama on murder, or how about eco terrorism charges for Joe Biden if we find out he ordered the attack on Nord Stream pipeline?

There isnt a president in existence that cant be tried for dozens of crimes if we take away their immunity.

We will just have to agree to disagree, I do not think anyone should be above the law. We have a president, not a king or a dictator

I can’t imagine the court would accept Trump’s claim that nothing he does while president could ever be subject to criminal prosecution.
Trump isnt claiming that. For example, he isnt suggesting that he can kill a baby with a shotgun on live tv and be immune.

Presidents have murdered and tortured people in the past. Weve had president carpet bomb cities full of civilians. We had a president drop 2 nuclear weapons on civilian populations. What exactly do you think Trump did that crossed the line of presidential immunity?

Forum List

Back