Spanking

My point earlier was that the child not yet old enough to understand that is also not going to be able to comprehend why it's suddenly being attacked.

Not so...children aren't dogs. They are smarter.
Even a one year old understands simple correlations and strong tones in our voices.
For instance, a one year old reaches for an electrical chord. You smack their hand and yell "NO!!"..point at the object...smack again, and again shout NO! Often the one year old will immediately reach for it again - but you will notice they are staring at you seeing what your response is, and slowly reaching. They are not rebelling, they are seeing if your shouting and smacking has to do with that object - and thus - another smack and yell teaches them that it does.
It is very effective at that very young age.
I raised two children as well as I have seven nieces and nephews.

I never had to do that. Like I said, I only had to take my son's hands in mine and look him in the eyes and say no. That always worked. I see absolutely no reason at all to spank a 1-year-old baby. That is terrible!

Oh I love to give spankings...

I like to spank people playing cards
I like to spank people when I play tennis

And I bet you never metaphor you didn't like.

Hey, I play tennis.... :whip:

you'd probably spank me
my husband spanks me in tennis.... but I'm a good sport :)

Well I dunno about that -- I don't get that much practice around here. :(

It would prolly depend on how short your skirt is... :eusa_shifty:

you'd probably spank me

Yea me either... it's not hubby's favorite....
... and I wear shorts not skirts.... only "good" tennis players wear skirts!

you'd probably spank me

Well I must not be any good, 'cuz I never wear a skirt. :(

you'd probably spank me

If we play you can wear one with me... I won't laugh .... :biggrin:

you'd probably spank me

Take pictures so that I can laugh though, okay? :tongue:

you'd probably spank me

We done scared him off now.... can you come out and play with us Pogo

Just kidding. Maybe he looks really good in a skirt? I don't know. :D

I never had to do that. Like I said, I only had to take my son's hands in mine and look him in the eyes and say no. That always worked. I see absolutely no reason at all to spank a 1-year-old baby. That is terrible!
Who spanks one year-old babies? I don't believe anyone here recommends or approves of that. What can a one year-old infant do that might call for punishment?

The purpose of spanking is not to inflict serious, potentially damaging pain but to emphasize disapproval, which the child pre-consciously senses as withdrawal of the loving, nourishing comfort he/she has become accustomed to and might be taking for granted. A sharp crack on the ass momentarily cancels over-confidence and is constructively associated with the provocative misconduct or disobedience that brought it about.

Spanking is analogous to a mother cat thumping her willful kitten or a mother dog nipping her aggressive pup.

Who spanks one year-old babies? I don't believe anyone here recommends or approves of that. What can a one year-old infant do that might call for punishment?

The purpose of spanking is not to inflict serious, potentially damaging pain but to emphasize disapproval, which the child pre-consciously senses as withdrawal of the loving, nourishing comfort he/she has become accustomed to and might be taking for granted. A sharp crack on the ass momentarily cancels over-confidence and is constructively associated with the provocative misconduct or disobedience that brought it about.

Spanking is analogous to a mother cat thumping her willful kitten or a mother dog nipping her aggressive pup.

Did you not read the post I quoted?

For it when used as a correction for a life threatening situation.

You don't spank a kid for spilling his juice, you do spank a kid for bolting ahead of you and almost running into traffic.

Edit: and if this is about adult on adult spanking, then, meh, it doesn't do anything for me.

I agree. I don't think a swat is going to scar a child for life, and think that's appropriate for a child running into traffic. However, I don't think it should be used as a normal part of disciplinary action. Children should mind out of love and respect, not fear.

I think "time-outs" and taking away items that are important to the child are just as effective.

Spankings on a regular basis, are a sign that the irrational parent needs classes to help with parenting skills.

I lived in fear of my mother. I used to have nightmares about her and thought that I was a "bad girl" all the time. I thought if my own mother doesn't love me, then I must be a bad kid. THAT is what happens when you hit and scream at and call your children names.

I'm still here -- I had to go fix sump'm. Somebody was wrong on the internet. :D

I'm still here -- I had to go fix sump'm. Somebody was wrong on the internet. :D

Okay well we've moved on so... maybe another time ... ;)

I lived in fear of my mother. I used to have nightmares about her and thought that I was a "bad girl" all the time. I thought if my own mother doesn't love me, then I must be a bad kid. THAT is what happens when you hit and scream at and call your children names.
A balancing level of comforting affection is critical. Based on what you've said here it seems obvious that balancing element was missing from your mother's attentions toward you.

The child should regard its parent as a source of nourishment and loving comfort. So long as that positive condition is in place an occasional scolding or spanking will not detract from it.

Did you not read the post I quoted?

Quoted?
I don't see anywhere where I said spanking one year olds.
I said...smacking their hand. I would never tell anyone to give a genuine spanking on a one year old.
And every child is different. My daughter listened very well, I am not sure I remember ever having to smack at her hand...but my son. Huge difference. Huge. I have Adult ADD, so does he. If you had a child with ADD - and you want to protect them from ending their lives prematurely from the 10,000 random things they want to do...you will do anything to stop them. It is better to receive a light smack on the back of their hand than to get run over, or...well...hey...true story. My son had to have 7 stitches on the back of his head when he was two. Why...because he decided he wanted to climb on top of the toilet...no...I mean on TOP of the toilet, as in the top of the water tank so he could look out the window. He fell against the radiator. Busted his head good. If I would have been in the room, I would have smacked his hand maybe.,,,and he would have not possibly died from a broken neck which was certainly possible. What a bad father I was.

Forum List

Back