Spanish Star Spangled Banner to come out Friday...

insein

Apr 10, 2004
Philadelphia, Amazing huh...
WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:blowup:

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/04/27/D8H8LGDO0.html

Spanish 'Star-Spangled Banner' Draws Ire
Apr 27 7:47 PM US/Eastern
Email this story

By LAURA WIDES-MUNOZ
Associated Press Writer

MIAMI

British music producer Adam Kidron says that when he came up with the idea of a Spanish-language version of the U.S. national anthem, he saw it as an ode to the millions of immigrants seeking a better life.

But in the week since Kidron announced the song _ which features artists such as Wyclef Jean, hip-hop star Pitbull and Puerto Rican singers Carlos Ponce and Olga Tanon _ it has been the target of a fierce backlash.

Some Internet bloggers and others are infuriated by the thought of "The Star-Spangled Banner" sung in a language other than English.

"Would the French accept people singing the La Marseillaise in English as a sign of French patriotism? Of course not," said Mark Krikorian, head of the Washington-based Center for Immigration Studies, a think tank that supports tighter immigration controls.

The initial version of "Nuestro Himno," or "Our Anthem," comes out Friday and uses lyrics based closely on the English-language original, said Kidron, who heads the record label Urban Box Office.

Pro-immigration protests are planned around the country for Monday, and the record label is urging Hispanic radio stations nationwide to play the cut at 7 p.m. EDT Friday in a sign of solidarity.

A remix to be released in June will contain several lines in English that condemn U.S. immigration laws. Among them: "These kids have no parents, cause all of these mean laws ... let's not start a war with all these hard workers, they can't help where they were born."

Bryanna Bevens of Hanford, Calif., who writes for the immigration- focused Web magazine Vdare.com, said the remix particularly upset her.

"It's very whiny. If you want to say all those things, by all means, put them on your poster board, but don't put them on the national anthem," she said.

Kidron, a U.S. resident for 16 years, maintains the changes are fitting. After all, he notes, American immigrants borrowed the melody of the "Star Spangled Banner" from an English drinking song.

"There's no attempt to usurp anything. The intent is to communicate," Kidron said. "I wanted to show my thanks to these people who buy my records and listen to the music we release and do the jobs I don't want to do."

Kidron said the song also will be featured on the album "Somos Americanos," which will sell for $10, with $1 going to the National Capital Immigration Coalition, a Washington group.

Pitbull, whose real name is Armando Perez, said this country was built by immigrants, and "the meaning of the American dream is in that record: struggle, freedom, opportunity, everything they are trying to shut down on us."

That is fucking it! This is the last god damn straw! You try to raise your flag above ours, you want to change the Star spangled banner, you want to turn America into Mexico!!

This isnt Mexico, fuckers! This is America and here we speak English. Deal with it!

What is it with these people that can't seem to understand that we CAN"T AFFORD TO SPEND OUR MONEY on people that either don't understand the rules or do understand them and are trying to get something for nothing by playing dumb.

Deport them and let them do what civilized people do, apply, get the right papers and then you can maybe come in if we can find a place for you.

Oh, by the way, learn the language!!!!!!

Hell with the Star Spangled Banner----I wanna hear em to the pledge of allegience over and over and over and over.

Bush isnt mincing any words when it comes to this thank goodness.

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/04/28/D8H94LTG0.html

Bush Says Anthem Should Be in English
Apr 28 1:03 PM US/Eastern
Email this story

By JEANNINE AVERSA
AP Economics Writer

WASHINGTON

The national anthem should be sung in English _ not Spanish _ President Bush declared Friday, amid growing restlessness over the millions of immigrants here illegally.

"One of the things that's very important is, when we debate this issue, that we not lose our national soul," the president exclaimed. "One of the great things about America is that we've been able to take people from all walks of life bound as one nation under God. And that's the challenge ahead of us."

A Spanish language version of the national anthem was released Friday by a British music producer, Adam Kidron, who said he wanted to honor America's immigrants.

When the president was asked at a Rose Garden question-and-answer session whether the anthem should be sung in Spanish, he replied: "I think the national anthem ought to be sung in English, and I think people who want to be a citizen of this country ought to learn English and they ought to learn to sing the national anthem in English."

He made his remarks on the matters during a wide-ranging briefing with reporters.

"I think people who want to be citizens of this country ought to learn English," Bush said.

The president's comments came amid a burgeoning national debate _ and congressional fight _ over legislation pending in Congress, and pushed by Bush, to overhaul U.S. immigration law.

Bush called on lawmakers to move forward on legislation _ now stalled _ that would revamp immigration laws.

"I want a comprehensive bill," Bush said that includes enforcement as well as giving temporary worker status to some illegal immigrants.

Large numbers of immigrant groups have planned an economic boycott next week to dramatize their call for legislation providing legal status for millions of people in the United States illegally.

"You know, I'm not a supporter of boycotts," Bush said. " I am a supporter of comprehensive immigration ... I think most Americans agree that we've got to enforce our border. I don't think there's any question about that."

His remarks followed release of the Spanish language version of the song, called "Nuestro Himno" or "Our Anthem."

I saw that on the news this morning, really pissed me off. I woke up, though. They are starting to push the lines, hell they have been for a while. If this keeps escalating, it will divide the nation even more.

Every time I heard a clip of "The Star Mangled Banner" today, I clenched up like a bear trap, putting a death grip on my steering wheel. Hell, I nearly popped a blood vessel. If I ever see somebody singing it, it's a swift kick in the nuts.

Forum List

Back