South Park

Dan said:
:clap: :clap: :clap:
This is why I love Trey Parker and Matt Stone. The average show would've just cited "creative differences" and moved on. Here's to Matt Stone for telling the truth (as usual). I mean, really, all the way back to the first season FIRST EPISODE they were making fun of Jews. Definitely hated on Christians and Muslims plenty, too. Y'know what's funny? The Mormons, who I think got burned just as bad as anyone on South Park, are like the only ones never to complain about South Park. Pretty cool of them.

While we're on the the subject, everyone should tune in to South Park tomorrow, they're re-airing the Scientology episode that they almost got sued for. Props to Comedy Central for not only showing it, but also for using the suit as advertising material. New season starts soon, right?

The Mormon's didn't really get burned. They were the only ones allowed into heaven :p:

The Mormon's didn't really get burned. They were the only ones allowed into heaven

Oh, yeah, I forgot about that! That one episode did burn them pretty bad. I'll never forget that song....

"Joseph Smith became a prophet... dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb!"

The only one that they haven't made fun of yet is Buddhism... I am looking forward to it.

And he was saying he was all upset over them getting information wrong? What about the Jews worshipping Moses and other totally incorrect things?

Dan said:
Then again, it's not like Chef has been a relevant character on the show for years. His presence probably won't be missed too much.

They'll just find another voice for him. He's got to be around as the adult figure that is willing to explain all that stuff that most parents ignore...

He's Back!!! Chef Returns to South Park

The launch of "South Park’s" 10th season is marked by the triumphant homecoming of school chef, Jerome McElroy. "The Return of Chef!," premieres Wednesday, March 22 at 10:00 p.m., only Comedy Central.
The town is jolted out of a case of the doldrums when Chef suddenly reappears. While Stan, Kyle, Kenny and Cartman are thrilled to have their old friend back, they notice that something about chef seems different. When Chef’s strange behavior starts getting him in trouble, the boys pull out all the stops to save him.

Who watched tonight? It was really funny, funnier than usual, but the end was still pretty sad. Poor Chef.

But I'd say they pretty much met all of everyone's expectations on this one.

butters line when they were in the office was funny as shit. the tribute to star wars at the end. too funny

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060323...ydX24cA;_ylu=X3oDMTA5aHJvMDdwBHNlYwN5bmNhdA--

Chef Gets Big Send-Off on 'South Park' By DAVID BAUDER, AP Television Writer
19 minutes ago

NEW YORK -

Isaac Hayes' Chef character got a true "South Park" send-off Wednesday night — seemingly killed off but mourned as a jolly old guy whose brains were scrambled by the "Super Adventure Club."

The thinly disguised satire continued the show's feud with Scientologists in its 10th season premiere on Comedy Central.

The soul singer has voiced the Chef character in "South Park" since 1997, but left recently because of what he called the animated show's religious "intolerance and bigotry." Founders Matt Stone and Trey Parker said Hayes, a Scientologist, was mad that "South Park" mocked the religion in an episode last November.

A rerun of that Scientology episode was mysteriously pulled off the air last week amid published reports that actor

Tom Cruise, another Scientologist, had used his clout to bury it. A Cruise spokesman denied that.

Hayes didn't participate in making Wednesday's episode; the character's lines appeared to be patched together through tapes of past dialogue.

Chef repeatedly said he wanted to "make sweet love" to the "South Park" elementary school kids — it seems the "Super Adventure Club" turns its members into child molesters.

The children try to rescue Chef, but in the end he turns to head back to the "Super Adventure Club" — until he falls off a bridge onto rocks, is burned, stabbed and mauled by a mountain lion and bear.

Then he apparently dies.

"A lot of us don't agree with the choices the Chef has made in the last few days," one of the children eulogizes him at a funeral. "Some of us feel hurt and confused that he seemed to turn his back on us. But we can't let the events of the past few weeks take away the memories of how Chef made us smile.

"We shouldn't be mad at Chef for leaving us," the eulogy concludes. "We should be mad at that fruity little club for scrambling his brains."

The door for Hayes' return wasn't completely closed. In the show's final scene, members of the "Super Adventure Club" try to revive Chef, and it's not clear he's really dead.

'This is what the Super Adventure Club actually believes'... so funny.

Plus, the edited Chef lines really appealed to my inner 12-year-old. "I'm gonna make love to ya... asshole.... children."

Dan said:
'This is what the Super Adventure Club actually believes'... so funny.

Plus, the edited Chef lines really appealed to my inner 12-year-old. "I'm gonna make love to ya... asshole.... children."

I had a feeling they would do something like that with the chef lines. And the inside joke of an inside joke with "This is what Super Adventure Club actually believes" is hillarious. MAn they destroyed scientologists last night and didnt even mention them once. Sue that Elron Hubbard.

http://www.southparkstudios.com/

From today's Comedy Central Press Release:
It's Earth to "South Park" when an all-new episode premieres March 29 at 10:00 P.M. on Comedy Central

A disaster of epic proportions threatens the town and Stan is to blame in an all-new episode of “South Park” titled "Smug Alert!" premiering Wednesday, March 29 at 10:00 p.m. on Comedy Central.
Stan is the driving force who gets the citizens of South Park to buy hybrid cars. Just as everyone starts to feel really good about what they’re doing to help save the earth, scientists discover a stormy, dark mass accumulating over the town.

Hmmm, that doesn't sound too good, but I'll definitely be watching. Lately, even the ones that sound boring are hilarious.

And I finally jumped into the South Park DVD pool, I ordered Season 7. I was not aware of this, but among really hardcore fans, Season 5 is considered a turning point for South Park, when it really got good, specifically with "Scott Tenorman Must Die", the one where Cartman feeds Scott Tenorman his own parents, then licks his tears. That is one of my personal favorites.

We should do a poll, top five South Park episodes ever.

Dan said:
Hmmm, that doesn't sound too good, but I'll definitely be watching. Lately, even the ones that sound boring are hilarious.

And I finally jumped into the South Park DVD pool, I ordered Season 7. I was not aware of this, but among really hardcore fans, Season 5 is considered a turning point for South Park, when it really got good, specifically with "Scott Tenorman Must Die", the one where Cartman feeds Scott Tenorman his own parents, then licks his tears. That is one of my personal favorites.

We should do a poll, top five South Park episodes ever.

"Yes yes let me taste your pain."

"Dude remind me to never piss Cartman off again."

some of the best episodes are:

Cartman Gets an Anal Probe
Starvin' Marvin
Worldwide Recorder Concert
Trapper Keeper
Cripple Fight
Osama bin Laden Has Farty Pants
The Death Camp of Tolerance
Red Sleigh Down
Good Times with Weapons
Die Hippie, Die
Up the Down Steroid
Stupid Spoiled Whore Video Playset

-----------

i haven't picked up season seven yet but i will. the commentary that you could send away for after you bought the season 1 dvd is funny as shit.

Lefty Wilbury said:
some of the best episodes are:

Cartman Gets an Anal Probe
Starvin' Marvin
Worldwide Recorder Concert
Trapper Keeper
Cripple Fight
Osama bin Laden Has Farty Pants
The Death Camp of Tolerance
Red Sleigh Down
Good Times with Weapons
Die Hippie, Die
Up the Down Steroid
Stupid Spoiled Whore Video Playset

-----------

i haven't picked up season seven yet but i will. the commentary that you could send away for after you bought the season 1 dvd is funny as shit.

Die, hippie die is my favorite hands down. Death camp of tolerance is a close runner up. The one where Earth is a reality TV show was pretty good too. "You know that feeling when you take a really big dump, aaaahhhhh, sweeet."

Die, hippie die is my favorite hands down.

Was that the one where Cartman built the giant drill to kill all the hippies? I didn't like that one all that much. It was okay, but I think I'm kinda pulling an Isaac Hayes, I know a lot of hippie-ish people, and even though they got everything right, the target's kinda big and easy.

My favorite is The Losing Edge. And the one where they get the ninja weapons, that was great, too. And the one where they had the dance-off.

It's kind of getting to be a dead horse at this point, but I'd hate to let free speech go just because everyone's tired of hearing it, so here's a great article from the UK on the South Park/Scientology thing....

The Sunday Times March 26, 2006

Hey Chef, these guys are killing free speech

We have a new cartoon-blasphemy scandal. No, it’s not Islamists burning down Kentucky Fried Chicken stores in Pakistan because a few Danish cartoonists had the gall to draw the prophet Muhammad. Now it’s Scientology versus the popular and hilarious cartoon television programme South Park. And the Scientologists, like the Islamists before them, are winning.

South Park is a potty-mouthed series created by two young iconoclasts, Matt Stone and Trey Parker. It features a group of nine-year-old cardboard cut-out pals whose adventures include run-ins with a talking piece of Christmas poo, Jesus, Saddam Hussein and Mel Gibson. The show is both highbrow, it has dissected left-wing political correctness along with Vatican hypocrisy, and lowbrow.

Yes, Paris Hilton once entered a “whore-off” contest with a gay character called Mr Slave. The show is as offensive as it is inspired: the first truly post-PC television adventure. It is also brave. It doesn’t only skewer political ideology, it also aims square at religions. It has mocked Catholicism, Mormonism, evangelicalism and even featured a cartoon Muhammad as a super-hero.

The Catholic League managed to stop a rerun of an episode called Bloody Mary. But now things have become really ugly. Though South Park is broadcast in Britain one episode has never been aired in the UK, and has just been pulled in the US. The show mocked Scientology. In the episode one of the kids, Stan, takes a Scientology “stress test” and does so well he is hailed as the reincarnation of L Ron Hubbard, the science-fiction writer who started Scientology.

Suddenly the child is mobbed. John Travolta shows up. Stan is sent to his room, where he finds Tom Cruise. When Stan tells Cruise what he thinks of his acting skills, Cruise is so crushed to have been dissed by the new prophet of Scientology that he runs into a closet and won’t come out. A chorus of people then implore Cruise to “come out of the closet”. Not exactly subtle. But it’s a cartoon; the episode begins with a disclaimer that none of this is supposed to be mistaken for reality.

In the US all hell broke loose when the episode was broadcast. One of the show’s cartoon stars, an oversexed, overweight African-American chef in the school cafeteria, is voiced by Isaac Hayes, the soul singer best known for singing the theme song for Shaft. Hayes, it turns out, is a Scientologist.

At first he seemed to have no problem with the episode. He told the American satirical magazine The Onion that he often had to defend the show’s edginess: “I told them not to take this stuff seriously. If you do, you’ll get in trouble. Just enjoy it.”

That was January 4. By January 18 Hayes had been admitted to hospital for “exhaustion”, and a friend subsequently said he’d had a stroke. Eight days ago Hayes quit the show, accusing it of religious “bigotry”. (Chef has since been outed as a paedophile, fallen off a bridge, been mauled by a mountain lion and died.) Then the Scientology episode rerun was abruptly yanked from the schedule.

News reports say that Viacom, the company that owns Comedy Central, made the decision. Viacom also owns Paramount movie studios, which has spent a small fortune on Mission: Impossible III starring Cruise, a Scientologist. He denies any connection. Viacom refuses to say why it hasn’t put the episode back on the air. South Park fans have started a petition.

And so we are back where we were with the Muhammad cartoons. Someone somewhere won’t let you see the Scientology episode of South Park. You can go to the Comedy Central website and view it on the internet — the last refuge for free speech. But you won’t see it on television. In a battle between satire and religion, although some deny that Scientology deserves that moniker, religion wins again.

This is, of course, a trivial story in many ways. South Park is preternaturally puerile (though it remains one of the most inspired pieces of sane lunacy out there). There are wars going on. Who cares if one silly episode of a silly series gets pulled?

Well: count me as one who does care. In the mansion of free speech cartoons have an honourable room. You can say things in cartoon form that you could never put into words or enact with real live human beings. You can turn politicians into unearthly creatures; you can portray the powerful as fools and liars; you can mock pretension of all sorts with an abandon and visual wit the written word cannot match. You can create fantasy worlds that make arguments that would be libellous or untrue in other contexts.

In the cartoon in question no one alleged that Cruise was gay. They constructed a scene where he was in a closet and others were urging him to come out of it. And it’s this artful ability to say in cartoon form what you cannot say in any other without a libel writ that makes cartoons irreplaceable.

In the Parker-Stone puppet film, Team America, you get to see Michael Moore explode as a suicide bomber. In the sublime South Park movie Saddam Hussein has a gay love affair with Satan. Cartoons and puppetry, as the classic series Spitting Image proved, can convey truths and explore fantasies no other form can.

We need those truths and benefit from those fantasies. A free society survives partly because the powerful are mocked, and their pretensions undermined. Religions, which guard their own illusions carefully, are particularly ripe for satire. And they should be.

Whenever one human being is claiming to tell the truth about the meaning of life he is making a very powerful claim — and in a free society he also runs the risk of getting a raspberry. Laughter matters because piety begets power.

Orwell once remarked that one reason fascism never took off in Britain was because the sight of a goose-stepping soldier would prompt your average Englishman to giggle. Someone is now silencing the giggles. And our world is a lot creepier because of it.

Forum List

Back