South Carolina governor is wrapping up her trade tour in India

Vikrant

Gold Member
Apr 20, 2013
The U.S.
Nikki Haley, the governor of South Carolina is touring India on a trade and commerce tour aimed at drawing investment into South Carolina.

---

COLUMBIA – Gov. Nikki Haley said today her trade mission trip to India has been “very productive” and that she sees an opportunity for university exchanges, including with Clemson.

Speaking from Mumbai, on the second day of her stay in that Indian city, Haley said there were several areas of interest by Indians in Clemson.

“Interest in Clemson was definitely in the automotive research side and then also in the agricultural side, not to mention engineering,” she said. Haley said Indians also are interested in the University of South Carolina and its lauded international business program.

The governor said she feels good about opening new trade relationships during her visit but expects results as well.

“Without question I know we will be closing jobs over the next several months,” she said. “I know the relationships and the meetings we have had have been very strong.”

Haley, the state’s first Indian-American governor who last visited India when she was 2 years old, said her reception in India has been “overwhelming.”

“It was hard for me to anticipate exactly how it would go, but it really has been amazing how many people know about our progress in South Carolina and know about our story. We have been very well received. They are very interested. They want to know more.”

She said she sees trade opportunities in pharmaceuticals, agriculture and manufacturing, as well as tourism.

“There are some really strong, good-quality companies here that understand now is the time to be investing in the United States,” she said. “What we are doing is trying to turn them to South Carolina and they like what they hear.”

Haley said her days have been packed with meeting with business officials, trade groups and government leaders as well as with reporters from India’s news media.

“They are very excited to come,” she said of Indians. “They are very excited to start doing business and start looking at vacationing there.”

She said Indians were not aware of South Carolina’s tourism opportunities.

“They just didn’t know we had all that we have,” she said. “The interest is there. We’re not just doing the interest for individual vacations. We’re also doing the large group businesses. The one thing I knew would be important for them to hear and I said to them was they would be welcomed, that they would be received well.”

She said the South Carolina delegation will be returning with hundreds of business contacts. She said she expects to see business delegations from India visiting the state to confirm what Haley told them during her 10-day trip. Haley said she wants to be sure that channels are opened as well for South Carolina businesses wishing to do trade in India.

“This is a country that is waiting to explode,” she said of its economic growth. “I wanted South Carolina to be on the front end as it was happening. This is a country we are going to want to do business with. We know their work ethic. We know their commitment. We just wanted to extend that relationship because it’s all about relationships here. We wanted to make sure South Carolina was seen and heard and invited.”

Gov. Nikki Haley says India interested in tourism Clemson

Forum List

Back