Something that is lost in this Michael Brown case

JFK_USA

Gold Member
Aug 31, 2009
Obviously with the news on Friday that Ferguson police believe Michael Brown committed "strong arm" robbery, some people have said this is a non-issue. That isn't the case.

The issue wasn't if he committed a crime, it was about the police officer's alleged response towards Michael Brown.

The police officer in question (Darren Wilson?) didn't know he was the suspect and having cigars in your hands doesn't mean you committed a crime. It about the assault that most witnesses agree was started by the officer and that after that altercation, when Michael Brown was surrendering, he shot him dead.

Think back 20 years, no one was claiming that Rodney King didn't do anything wrong, it was about the police response towards Rodney King. Similar situation here with the exception that Michael Brown died from his experience.

========================================

And therein lies the disconnect between the two parties.

Let's be honest, most white people haven't dealt with a cop outside of a traffic violation. I (white) have. Even in a traffic violation, I was dealt a pretty raw hand. Once I was put in handcuffs just because once the cop thought I was leaving a party and he slammed me up against the wall and put me in handcuffs. I didn't believe that was an acceptable use of force. Why couldn't he just say, can you please stay right here? Okay. But no, he didn't. I filed a complaint but the supervisor tried to make me feel guilty for doing nothing wrong. I was a bystander, over 21, at a house party. Yeah it was a noisy party but did I deserve that response? No. So of course I come to find out that he was exonerated and still had a clean record (heard that response before?).

That's the disconnect. If you have never dealt with the cops in that manner, you aren't going to think they are being dishonest but when you have, you are skeptical of what the cops are saying. So that's how we view things, in our experiences. Thus, when something like this happens, we view it through those prisms.

That is what I believe is the disconnect in talking about this situation. That situation for many people is the perceived egregious response by police officers and the lack of discipline of these officers for said responses by their superiors with no other recourse for the citizens. That's where the anger lies.

Obviously with the news on Friday that Ferguson police believe Michael Brown committed "strong arm" robbery, some people have said this is a non-issue. That isn't the case.

The issue wasn't if he committed a crime, it was about the police officer's alleged response towards Michael Brown.

The police officer in question (Darren Wilson?) didn't know he was the suspect and having cigars in your hands doesn't mean you committed a crime. It about the assault that most witnesses agree was started by the officer and that after that altercation, when Michael Brown was surrendering, he shot him dead.

Think back 20 years, no one was claiming that Rodney King didn't do anything wrong, it was about the police response towards Rodney King. Similar situation here with the exception that Michael Brown died from his experience.

Let's be honest, most white people haven't dealt with a cop outside of a traffic violation. I (white) have. Even in a traffic violation, I was dealt a pretty raw hand. Once I was put in handcuffs just because once the cop thought I was leaving a party and he slammed me up against the wall and put me in handcuffs. I didn't believe that was an acceptable use of force. Why couldn't he just say, can you please stay right here? Okay. But no, he didn't. I filed a complaint but the supervisor tried to make me feel guilty for doing nothing wrong. I was a bystander, over 21, at a house party. Yeah it was a noisy party but did I deserve that response? No. So of course I come to find out that he was exonerated and still had a clean record (heard that response before?).

That's the disconnect. If you have never dealt with the cops in that manner, you aren't going to think they are being dishonest but when you have, you are skeptical of what the cops are saying. So that's how we view things, in our experiences. Thus, when something like this happens, we view it through those prisms.

That is what I believe is the disconnect in talking about this situation. That situation for many people is the perceived egregious response by police officers and the lack of discipline of these officers for said responses by their superiors with no other recourse for the citizens. That's where the anger lies.

You started off correct but then went off the rails.

Original reason the officer stopped Mr. Brown was he and his friend were j-walking. During the physical altercation that followed, Mr. Brown commited a felony, assault on a police officer. From that moment onwards lethal force is authorized under Missouri state law.

You started off correct but then went off the rails.

Original reason the officer stopped Mr. Brown was he and his friend were j-walking. During the physical altercation that followed, Mr. Brown commited a felony, assault on a police officer. From that moment onwards lethal force is authorized under Missouri state law.

It was the second assault Michael Brown was involved in within 20 minutes. Watch the video of the robbery and you witnessed the first. That one was on someone much much smaller than Brown.

No autopsy, no ballastics, no evidence released as to lighting, distance between the two when Brown was hit, etc. ........yet many conclusions. PASS.

Accidental, even negligent, actions by police get little or no coverage unless the police officer is white and the victim is black. Why is that?

Accidental, even negligent, actions by police get little or no coverage unless the police officer is white and the victim is black. Why is that?

Caylee Anthony is Caucasian, the police were raked over the coals in that case. Also, TONY STEWART killed Kevin Ward, not even arrested, let alone charged. It took decades for Skakel to be charged.

the overwhelming majority of we "white" people have the perception we benefit from being served and protected by the law and it's officers in most circumstances but the history of minority interaction with the law does not lead them to that perception even when they lead their lives on the "right" side of the law.

If the pigger thought it was Brown then his response would be much different than how he'd respond to a jaywalker unless the pig was just an asshole looking for a fight. Something made the pigs adrenaline jump and it seems if he made a big mistake*. Key word "seems".

Wrong. His violent behavior is why he ended up face down with a hole in big fat fucking grape

No autopsy, no ballastics, no evidence released as to lighting, distance between the two when Brown was hit, etc. ........yet many conclusions. PASS.

I agree.

Jumping to conclusions not based on evidence.

When some hard evidence emerges to support these accusations I'll revisit the thread...likely to say none of this is true or factual.

Good case for the perils of smoking too much dope. Clouds your judgement.

I agree.

Jumping to conclusions not based on evidence.

When some hard evidence emerges to support these accusations I'll revisit the thread...likely to say none of this is true or factual.

I do not agree. News media is destroying the reputation of the men and women who put their life on the line everyday to protect us. Police are not the problem. Criminals are. So I will not pass on this. I'm really pissed off by media smear of our police

The point of the thread was not about the crime or police response but more about the disconnect of the two factions.

I guess to boil down my point was if you have good dealings with police, you are normally going to side with the police. If you haven't, then you are going to be skeptical of the police.

That's why people will still protest. It's not that they condone crime, they want police to be held accountable for what they perceive to be excessive force not in relation to the crime.

the overwhelming majority of we "white" people have the perception we benefit from being served and protected by the law and it's officers in most circumstances but the history of minority interaction with the law does not lead them to that perception even when they lead their lives on the "right" side of the law.

So is that "perception" based on current reality or emotional disturbance? Where is the current evidence that police routinely harass minorities who "live on the 'right' side of the law?" Why are the only examples young black thugs? Why do we canonize them?

The point of the thread was not about the crime or police response but more about the disconnect of the two factions.

I guess to boil down my point was if you have good dealings with police, you are normally going to side with the police. If you haven't, then you are going to be skeptical of the police.

That's why people will still protest. It's not that they condone crime, they want police to be held accountable for what they perceive to be excessive force not in relation to the crime.
Oh my. Somebody went and spent their allowance on pot again. Better run upstairs from the basement your in and grab some cheese puffs. Excessive force. Police are already trying to fight crime with one hand tied behind their back.

So is that "perception" based on current reality or emotional disturbance? Where is the current evidence that police routinely harass minorities who "live on the 'right' side of the law?" Why are the only examples young black thugs? Why do we canonize them?

historical and current reality. Lots of studies and statistics on the harrassment of minorities while they are about their lawful business are available. The literature is extensive and undeniable. Prejudicial action against people of color can be driven by even the mildest forms of unconscious racism. It is not just "young black thugs" who experience this. Did you read my comment on Clarence Thomas? His autobiography has a number of examples of times he experienced this kind of prejudiced behavior simply because he was Black.

historical and current reality. Lots of studies and statistics on the harrassment of minorities while they are about their lawful business are available. The literature is extensive and undeniable. Prejudicial action against people of color can be driven by even the mildest forms of unconscious racism. It is not just "young black thugs" who experience this. Did you read my comment on Clarence Thomas? His autobiography has a number of examples of times he experienced this kind of prejudiced behavior simply because he was Black.

Where is the current evidence that police routinely harass minorities who "live on the 'right' side of the law?" Why is this not covered by the media? Sorry, "lots of studies" doesn't cut it. Can you give me some current examples? How long are you going to live in the past?

Do you think there isnt racism against white people? Are black people unique as far as injustices towards them based the color of their skin? Racism will always exist on all sides, but white people are rarely violent with their racism. We dont have the equivellent of the knock out game. We also dont pull out the fucking race card every time there is a dispute with a black person. That card was overplayed years ago. It wont work anymore. No one is buying it.

Hell, polls show that even black people believe they are more racist than white people, so be happy that its really rare in the white community these days. We police our own. Do black people shame racists in their community? Ive NEVER seen that happen.

Forum List

Back