Some Observations About Hockey, from a Noob

JimBowie1958

Old Fogey
Sep 25, 2011
So my kids have gotten me into watching pro Hockey, and it is fun, but I have some confessions:

1) I cant keep track of the freaking puck. I will be looking for it in one corner of the screen when it is off the oppsite edge down the rink. I am getting better, but I still lose track of the puck.

2) I have a sneaking suspicion that the game of hockey started as a prank on two fellows that everybody wanted to slam pucks at and called them goalies.

3) I can help but have a warm feeling when I see black players in the NHL. Is that racist of me?

So my kids have gotten me into watching pro Hockey, and it is fun, but I have some confessions:

1) I cant keep track of the freaking puck. I will be looking for it in one corner of the screen when it is off the oppsite edge down the rink. I am getting better, but I still lose track of the puck.

2) I have a sneaking suspicion that the game of hockey started as a prank on two fellows that everybody wanted to slam pucks at and called them goalies.

3) I can help but have a warm feeling when I see black players in the NHL. Is that racist of me?
There's about 25 black players in the NHL currently.

I couldn't keep up with the puck either when I first started watching. But that was back in '64 on our black-and-white console TV. By the next season I was able to concentrate more on the players and following the action was much easier knowing better where the puck was likely to go. Never devoted the time and still have trouble with basketball though. Great athleticism in both sports.

Up in SJ CA....LasVegas & SJ are in game 7. With ~10 min left, LV led 3-0. I turned the channel as always (remote Aholic), later on I looked back, with about ~5 min left SJ suddenly led 4-3! I missed it all. 4 goals in 5 min? I think some musta been PP?

LV pulled goalie tied it up in the last minute. OT here we go.

Like OP I could not see the tying goal but i heard the crowd gasp. LV was hammering the net.

Up in SJ CA....LasVegas & SJ are in game 7. With ~10 min left, LV led 3-0. I turned the channel as always (remote Aholic), later on I looked back, with about ~5 min left SJ suddenly led 4-3! I missed it all. 4 goals in 5 min? I think some musta been PP?

LV pulled goalie tied it up in the last minute. OT here we go.

Like OP I could not see the tying goal but i heard the crowd gasp. LV was hammering the net.

SJ won on a Goal 19 min into 1st OT

Hockey is best watched live. Watching a live game also helps give you a feel of how the players move away from the puck, which helps you learn how to know where the puck is from player movements.

To me Hockey is the best sport to watch live, Football is the best sport to watch on TV, and baseball is the best sport to listen to on the radio.

1) Watch for where the players are looking for the best clue on where the puck is....Also, you'll have to start looking a little ahead, to where you believe the play should be going next.

2) Pretty much.

3) No....There are few black people interested in any sorts of athletics that involve snow and ice...I couldn't use up all the fingers on one hand to number all the black ski racers in history...That's just the way it is.

Hockey must be watched live. I even went a minor league game and had a blast. All those mother fuckers do is try to hurt each other so they can make a name for themselves.
Go preds!

In 2020!! :(

You can be on the top level at bridgestone arena in nashville and still hear that puck go across the ice. Its an awesome sound

Hockey must be watched live. I even went a minor league game and had a blast. All those mother fuckers do is try to hurt each other so they can make a name for themselves.
Go preds!

In 2020!! :(
I can't go to NHL games anymore...Too much superfluous noise making for my tastes...Dig going to high school, college, and minor league games though.

Forum List

Back