Solution to Payroll Tax Reduction Extension Simple

This is not a solution.

The solution must come with putting the cash back into the fund. They cant even make current payouts without borrowing. See last presidential threat.

I have hated this tax cut from the time they put it into effect. Republicans piss me off when they say that 47% of Americans pay no taxes, because it is not true. Everyone who works pays federal taxes through payroll taxes. However, now we want to reduce those also. The Federal Government has a revenue problem just as much as it does a spending problem if not more so.

I believe one of the biggest reasons businesses continue to sit on cash rather than reinvest it is simply due to the fact they are scared what will happen on the government side as the deficit continues to grow and grow and grow. Get the budget close to balanced with no deficit or just a small sustainable deficit and the economy will start to grow again. But in order to do that, the government needs more revenue, not less. How can we even think of raising taxes on anyone when we are actually cutting them? It just doesn't make any sense. Dump the Bush tax cuts and end this payroll tax cut nightmare. Make some reasonable cuts and before you know it, we could have a budget that has a minimal or no deficit.

Humm...yeah right.:cuckoo:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-w-8fXzwQE]How Big is the U.S. Debt? - YouTube[/ame]

Cuckoo to you too, and you must be if you are incapable of understanding basic math. Revenue is way down as a percentage of GDP and spending is up by about the same amount of GDP as spending is down. You must be a complete idiot not to realize this.

This is not a solution.

The solution must come with putting the cash back into the fund. They cant even make current payouts without borrowing. See last presidential threat.

I have hated this tax cut from the time they put it into effect. Republicans piss me off when they say that 47% of Americans pay no taxes, because it is not true. Everyone who works pays federal taxes through payroll taxes. However, now we want to reduce those also. The Federal Government has a revenue problem just as much as it does a spending problem if not more so.

I believe one of the biggest reasons businesses continue to sit on cash rather than reinvest it is simply due to the fact they are scared what will happen on the government side as the deficit continues to grow and grow and grow. Get the budget close to balanced with no deficit or just a small sustainable deficit and the economy will start to grow again. But in order to do that, the government needs more revenue, not less. How can we even think of raising taxes on anyone when we are actually cutting them? It just doesn't make any sense. Dump the Bush tax cuts and end this payroll tax cut nightmare. Make some reasonable cuts and before you know it, we could have a budget that has a minimal or no deficit.

I dont know why the claim pisses you off. The claim has nothing to do with the payroll tax. This is invented outrage or however you care to phrase it. The figure was taken from the IRS for Federal taxes.

Until spending is cut I can not support an increase in taxes.

It pisses me off because it is not true. The claim made most of the time is that 47% of Americans pay no federal taxes. What is really nuts is that just by paying payroll taxes, some lower income earners are actually paying a higher percentage of total federal taxes than some of the super wealthy. And I did say some, because not all of the super wealthy get away with paying next to nothing, but there are some out there. In any case, anyone paying payroll taxes is paying almost as much as the super wealthy pay in total, so the whole argument is silly.

I dont know why the claim pisses you off. The claim has nothing to do with the payroll tax. This is invented outrage or however you care to phrase it. The figure was taken from the IRS for Federal taxes.

It pisses me off because it is not true. The claim made most of the time is that 47% of Americans pay no federal taxes. What is really nuts is that just by paying payroll taxes, some lower income earners are actually paying a higher percentage of total federal taxes than some of the super wealthy. And I did say some, because not all of the super wealthy get away with paying next to nothing, but there are some out there. In any case, anyone paying payroll taxes is paying almost as much as the super wealthy pay in total, so the whole argument is silly.

All Americans should be taxed at the same rate regardless of income. You exempt the first 5ok.

All Americans should be taxed at the same rate regardless of income. You exempt the first 5ok.

50K? You are overly generous. And are you getting rid of all payroll taxes? Keep the payroll taxes, exempt $7500 per individual, then flat tax on all income including capital gains.

Humm...yeah right.:cuckoo:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-w-8fXzwQE]How Big is the U.S. Debt? - YouTube[/ame]

Cuckoo to you too, and you must be if you are incapable of understanding basic math. Revenue is way down as a percentage of GDP and spending is up by about the same amount of GDP as spending is down. You must be a complete idiot not to realize this.

All that does not change the fact that we can't sustain structurally unsustainable programs without reforming them you can't raise enough taxes to cover our outlays and why would we what to send more money to Washington were they waste so much of it on useless bureaucracies and political cronyism reforming the tax code will do more to raise revenue than simply raising taxes in general

The Republican and Democratic Congress, not Obama, ignored the Commission.

The social programs are sustainable.

Stop lying, Jroc, we have been through this with you before, and you will always lose these arguments.

Really so when did Obama push for the reforms recommended by the comission? Jake the fake conservative :eusa_shifty:

I don't have to disprove your opinion, merely point your inconsistencies.

So show us where Obama opposed the reforms and Congress supported them.

Fail, once again.

50K? You are overly generous. And are you getting rid of all payroll taxes? Keep the payroll taxes, exempt $7500 per individual, then flat tax on all income including capital gains.

Am I too generous? That same 50k qualifies you for food stamps.

The payroll tax holiday exempts everyone who pays SS taxes from paying. Raising the amount of income subject to the tax will not pay for the holiday because that additional income will also be included in the holiday. Anyone with an IQ about the freezing point of nitrogen should understand that.

It doesn't exempt anyone from paying. It lowers the rate 2%, so raising the limit on the amount taxed WOULD increase revenues now and when and if the holiday expires.

The Republican and Democratic Congress, not Obama, ignored the Commission.

The social programs are sustainable.

Stop lying, Jroc, we have been through this with you before, and you will always lose these arguments.

Really so when did Obama push for the reforms recommended by the comission? Jake the fake conservative :eusa_shifty:

I don't have to disprove your opinion, merely point your inconsistencies.

So show us where Obama opposed the reforms and Congress supported them.

Fail, once again.

Oh.... but I have to disprove yours? You never have any substance behind any of your posts. And you spend more time here defending Obama and bashing conservatives than anything else. With friends like you the Republicans don't need enemies

Jroc, you have the affirmative, thus the burden of proof is on you. You offered nothing of substance. I simply pointed out your inconsistencies.

Trot up the proof or shut up, because it is your fail.

Jroc, you have the affirmative, thus the burden of proof is on you. You offered nothing of substance. I simply pointed out your inconsistencies.

Trot up the proof or shut up, because it is your fail.

And I simply pointed out what you do here

The solution to the extension of the Payroll Tax Reduction is simple if the D's and the R's would step back and take a look at an approach that gives both sides something.

The tax reduction should be extended for 12 months; the cost of the extension should be made up by increasing the amount of earned income, currently at about $102,000, subject to the Payroll tax. A large majority of Americans pay on 100% of their earned income, therefore it is not unreasonable to increase this to an amount to cover the cost to SS and keep SS whole; the new revenues generated by increasing the ceiling on earned income should go to the SS Fund with language stipulating these funds can not be spent on anything else other than SS.

This compromise, if enacted, would show Americans that indeed Congress, when it puts its mind to it, can get something done!

For those who think that the riders in this legislation are the problem, you are wrong. The Dems and the Pres. have agreed to them. All that remains is what I written about above.

Except that, even if they increase the wages that subject to SS, those new wages would still be exempt from paying the tax because of the payroll tax holiday.

No, they would be exempt from paying the full rate. Taxes would still be collected at the discounted rate.

People making $50,000 a year aren't receiving food stamps unless a lot of other weird conditions are met.

People making $50,000 a year aren't receiving food stamps unless a lot of other weird conditions are met.

And people making over $102,000 are not going to collect a dime more than a guy who makes $75,000 when they start collecting Social Security. Again, the left wants high earners to subsidize a program with no further benefit to them.

And people making over $102,000 are not going to collect a dime more than a guy who makes $75,000 when they start collecting Social Security. Again, the left wants high earners to subsidize a program with no further benefit to them.

Actually, yes, they would collect more (since both of those numbers are under the cap), but your broader point is still valid. The question is if it is of any importance.

Forum List

Back