Soldiers and PTSD

Couldn't get the video to play.
Yes, another name for the same symptoms.

Yupper yupper.

There are about a million different degrees and manifestations of it, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YbkZ8EpjQc

Back in the day - is this the same thing as 'shell-shocked?'

Anyway. This is well worth the time it takes to watch.

Shell shocked was not quite the same. Shell shock was often the result of physical injuries to the brain caused by the concussion of a blast, repeated blasts made the condition worse.
After bombardment it was found that wine bottles appeared intact but upon ooening shards of glass were found to have been shaken from the inside of the bottle by the concussion.
Repeated blasts caused increased damage.
Think of a punch drunk or partially brain injured boxer.

PTSD is a psychological condition with no specific features to aide diagnosis.

It is a false condition that enables liberals to dismiss veterans with opinions as crazy.
Nice handy word to silence dissent.
In the 60s and 70s liberals spat on veterans, today they just call PTSD.
The intent is the same.

Shell shocked was not quite the same. Shell shock was often the result of physical injuries to the brain caused by the concussion of a blast, repeated blasts made the condition worse.
After bombardment it was found that wine bottles appeared intact but upon ooening shards of glass were found to have been shaken from the inside of the bottle by the concussion.

It is a false condition that enables liberals to dismiss veterans with opinions as crazy.
The intent is the same.

The term Shell Shock deserves more attention:

“Shell shock,” the term that would come to define the phenomenon, first appeared in the British medical journal The Lancet in February 1915, only six months after the commencement of the war. In a landmark article, Capt. Charles Myers of the Royal Army Medical Corps noted “the remarkably close similarity” of symptoms in three soldiers who had each been exposed to exploding shells: Case 1 had endured six or seven shells exploding around him; Case 2 had been buried under earth for 18 hours after a shell collapsed his trench; Case 3 had been blown off a pile of bricks 15 feet high. All three men exhibited symptoms of “reduced visual fields,” loss of smell and taste, and some loss of memory. “Comment on these cases seems superfluous,” Myers concluded, after documenting in detail the symptoms of each. “They appear to constitute a definite class among others arising from the effects of shell-shock.”

Early medical opinion took the common-sense view that the damage was “commotional,” or related to the severe concussive motion of the shaken brain in the soldier’s skull. Shell shock, then, was initially deemed to be a physical injury, and the shellshocked soldier was thus entitled to a distinguishing “wound stripe” for his uniform, and to possible discharge and a war pension. But by 1916, military and medical authorities were convinced that many soldiers exhibiting the characteristic symptoms—trembling “rather like a jelly shaking”; headache; tinnitus, or ringing in the ear; dizziness; poor concentration; confusion; loss of memory; and disorders of sleep—had been nowhere near exploding shells. Rather, their condition was one of “neurasthenia,” or weakness of the nerves—in laymen’s terms, a nervous breakdown precipitated by the dreadful stress of war."
The Shock of War | History & Archaeology | Smithsonian Magazine

The intent is the same.

That is not true.

I don't have time to discuss this today. I have treated many many cases of PTSD in veterans of all ages from WWII to OEF/OIF.

Many things can cause PTSD, not just war. Women who have been raped, children who are sexually abused, victims of violent crimes, workplace injuries, anything that puts one in fear for his/her life. If anyone is interested they can look it up in the DSM IV TR. SSRIs are helpful, but the flashbacks are not psychotic in nature, so antipsychotics don't help. There are some very effective psychotherapy approaches out the now too. The VA therapists are the experts.

• Banned
Yes, I am an adult survivor with PTSD, which I'm sure plays a part in why my heart goes out to this soldier.

I went looking for soldier support groups - maybe be a pen pal. I don't know. Whatever. Anybody have any recommendations?

Labeling soldiers has a better effect than spitting on them.
It's more of the same liberal hate.

Many times those labels are turned into psycho-esque pop culture themes which Hollywood exploits and perpetuates terrible misinformation to the public. Rambo comes to mind.

PTSD is something anyone who's gone through long periods of horror is likely to develop.

Soldiers in combat are simply one class sourceof that condition.

Plenty of people you meet every day have PTSD and don't even know what ails them.

PTSD is something anyone who's gone through long periods of horror is likely to develop.

Soldiers in combat are simply one class sourceof that condition.

Plenty of people you meet every day have PTSD and don't even know what ails them.

Most people in the USA are suffering PTSD.
The horror that obama subjects us to!!

Why are you so eager to trivialize wounded soldiers to lamely promote your political agenda? A topic comes up by a poster with a genuine desire to learn about a problem faced by our returning veterans and reachs out for information that could lead to how the poster and those who read this thread might understand and perhaps be helpful to our veterans and you find the need to hijack it into a selfish opportunity to remind everyone of how you hate liberals. Like that is important. Your opinion is so important that you are willing to mislead people on such a serious subject shows a complete lack of decency, and shame on you. Shame on you sir.

The intent is the same.

Wrong. PTSD is a very real and nasty condition. After a few years of not being able to sleep more than an hour or two at a time I suspect you might agree. And it is not a condition restricted to veterans.

Yes, I am an adult survivor with PTSD, which I'm sure plays a part in why my heart goes out to this soldier.

I went looking for soldier support groups - maybe be a pen pal. I don't know. Whatever. Anybody have any recommendations?

Are you a veteran? The VA offers many good programs some of which include information for family members and the support of others with similar issues. There is a six week in-patient program in Salem Va. that I can recommend personally. Knowing you are not alone help a great deal by itself.

Why are you so eager to trivialize wounded soldiers to lamely promote your political agenda? A topic comes up by a poster with a genuine desire to learn about a problem faced by our returning veterans and reachs out for information that could lead to how the poster and those who read this thread might understand and perhaps be helpful to our veterans and you find the need to hijack it into a selfish opportunity to remind everyone of how you hate liberals. Like that is important. Your opinion is so important that you are willing to mislead people on such a serious subject shows a complete lack of decency, and shame on you. Shame on you sir.

Fuck of dick wad.
It's a fake condition.
Veterans don't need dumbass civvies telling them they have a mental condition that has no diagnostic tool, has no way to be measured and no specific symptoms.
The whole PTSD industry is a liberal one and relates only to the hate liberals have for veterans.
How often have vile liberals dismissed opposing views of veterans by sneering and saying things like " sounds like PTSD "?
Of course it is also a handy trick for a gun grab !!
Just declare all vets to have PTSD, grab their guns.
A liberals curiosity is never with the intent to help, only to further an agenda.

The intent is the same.

Wrong. PTSD is a very real and nasty condition. After a few years of not being able to sleep more than an hour or two at a time I suspect you might agree. And it is not a condition restricted to veterans.

So insomniacs are all suffering from PTSD, should have their guns grabbed?
It bullshit gun grabbers propaganda, that's all.

Apparently under today's standards a member of the Military doesn't even have to be in combat to qualify for PTSD treatment. All they have to do is imagine they were in combat and have nightmares about it. Under those standards every kid who has reached the age of 15 and has seen an average of 10,000 killings on TV or the movies or video games is qualified for PTSD treatment.

The intent is the same.

So insomniacs are all suffering from PTSD, should have their guns grabbed?
It bullshit gun grabbers propaganda, that's all.

Bullshit. I was a combat medic in Vietnam and have worked in military and VA hospitals all over this country and in a few others. I am probably more conservative and a bigger gun nut than either of you or Whitehall. Nobody, BUT NOBODY, is more pro-vet than I and certainly not a couple of idiots who are so conceited as to think that just because they don't understand something it must not exist. You guys are right on the same level with those assholes who jeer at people missing arms and legs. Sit down. Shut up. And, if you make an effort, maybe even you might be able to learn something.

Forum List

Back