• No

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Would have gotten whoever was in charge to fix check, then paid

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • I dunno

Votes: 1 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The waitress divided the check as she saw fit. She was hiding something, probably the fact that she pocketed most of the income generated by the meal.
I think she was trying to hide the fact that she was incompetent, that's why she didn't want the manager involved, she might get fired, especially if it wasn't the first time she screwed up.

Here's the scam...they overcharge for the meal and then they pocket the difference.

She overcharged for the meal when she "divided" the check between one guy and another person and his spouse. She kept the diff, and sat down and befuddled the person she was scamming.

According to the OP, the bill wasn't overcharged, just split incorrectly.

Well, who cares what the facts are? It is much better to assume the waitress was some kind of thieving crackhead trying to screw with you and steal your money than to just assume you are dealing with a human being who might just have a different approach to life or whatever. Sheesh. Glad i dont look for the boogyman at every turn!

The waitress divided the check as she saw fit. She was hiding something, probably the fact that she pocketed most of the income generated by the meal.
I think she was trying to hide the fact that she was incompetent, that's why she didn't want the manager involved, she might get fired, especially if it wasn't the first time she screwed up.

Yeah and maybe the entire restaurant was conspiring to screw this cheap little group over. You're getting as ridiculous as the other two. Paranoid much?

You are assuming a lot.

Here's the scam...they overcharge for the meal and then they pocket the difference.

She overcharged for the meal when she "divided" the check between one guy and another person and his spouse. She kept the diff, and sat down and befuddled the person she was scamming.

The guy was overcharged if he was paying 1/2 of a bill for 3 people.

And was that what she really was doing? Who the hell knows.

Like I said, it's a common scam. And retards fall for it all the time.

She may or may not be incompetent, but that sort of incompetence combined with dishonesty (and it's dishonest to just go ahead and decide how to divide up a check without first checking with the customers) is usually just a cover up. Chances are she's incompetent because she's dishonest.

Well of course. She probably kicks her dog, beats her kid and prostitutes herself in the backroom with other customers.

Yeah and maybe the entire restaurant was conspiring to screw this cheap little group over. You're getting as ridiculous as the other two. Paranoid much?

You are assuming a lot.

No, I'm not paranoid.
Incompetent people tend to try and hide their incompetence in order to keep their job.
That doesn't make them criminal.

She's schlepping drinks not doing brain surgery. I find that people expect other people to do their job in a way they usually don't even do their own. Most people seem to have an exaggerated sense that they are sooo good at their own jobs. That they never have a bad day, come across as less than perfectly friendly or whatever. If she was a genius at dealing with people she would own the business not just be the employee.

She may or may not be incompetent, but that sort of incompetence combined with dishonesty (and it's dishonest to just go ahead and decide how to divide up a check without first checking with the customers) is usually just a cover up. Chances are she's incompetent because she's dishonest.

The total bill wasn't overcharged according to the OP. It was just split incorrectly.
Incompetence and thievery do not go hand in hand.

You probably thought everyone was going to agree with you and say yayy that you made a waitress's life miserable over a couple of bucks.

You suck, guy.

Lol, and you still dont grasp the situation and reflexively acuse others of being stupid when your factoids are totally wrong.

Again, you are a moron and your demonstrate this with each post.

The total bill wasn't overcharged according to the OP. It was just split incorrectly.

I dont know that the total bill was not overcharged; it simply did not occur to me or anyone else to consider that one.

But yes, the main objection was how the waitress split the check, over charging one co-worker while undercharging the other.

Yeah and maybe the entire restaurant was conspiring to screw this cheap little group over. You're getting as ridiculous as the other two.

And another stupid post that gets everythingwrong.

No one was being cheap. There was no other person working at the resturaunt other than this one waitress that was incompetent.

And no one has mentioned conspiracy here but you, idiot.

No, they don't.

Manipulating checks and overcharging patrons, while preventing them access to the management, however, is highly suspect.

Again, if one person paid half the bill for 3, that particular person was overcharged.

This isn't rocket science.

And my guess is the patron being scammed didn't carefully go over the checks or even check with the other two to figure out the math precisely.

Scammers and thieves count on the naivete of their marks. It's one thing they can predict with a certain degree of certainty...that people will not see through their pretense.

I dont know that the total bill was not overcharged; it simply did not occur to me or anyone else to consider that one.

But yes, the main objection was how the waitress split the check, over charging one co-worker while undercharging the other.

Sheesh, and in reviewing this thread, I can see how such a scam could be profitable. I had no idea there were so many rubes waiting to be taken. And that's just here and now.

If I'm understanding your story properly it sounds as if the waitress had good intentions, i.e. not sticking one coworker with the bill for the husband. None of her business, of course, but in the overall scheme of things not a killing offense.

Let me get this straight, if a waitress suddenly decided that, because you were the only single person at the table, you should pay a share of all the other dinners at the table in order to make things fair, you would just pay? I do not believe that, and think that anyone that is arguing that is fair is a complete idiot.

Seriously? Or is it 'to long, didn't read'?

The co-workers keep changing.

OK, I was trying to keep it relatively anonymous for obvious reasons.

There were two co-workers (A and B lets say) leaving the company. Two other co-workers (C & D)were going to pay for one of their meals each (C->A and D-> B). But co-worker D also brought her husband along, call him E.

So C should have paid for the tickets of A and C, while D should have paid for the meals for B, E and D.

Co-worker C was the co-worker who had the dialogue with the waitress and also the one who got hammered by splitting the bill among all five A through E.

Hope that helps.

I haven't read past this post, and probably won't, but why didn't C & D just get together and figure it out amongst themselves??

Holy cow. It was only $7.00. I would have paid the $7.00 with no comment just to avoid making a scene. True, the waitress was a dope and should not have done it without asking you first BUT just because she was a dope doesn't mean you have to act like one too.

A co-worker, whom I greatly respect did something I cannot fathom. So I thought I would bounce it off some folks here and see if I am way off base here or if she might have been to quick to avoid a socially awkward situation.

We were eating at a new resturaunt, and we had a large going away party for a different co-worker. The waitress was very friendly, but a bit disorganized. She brought out the wrong meal for several of us (wrong table), forgot my straw for my soda, forgot seperate plates for the appetizer, and several times stuck her elbow in my face while she talked to the person beside me. And I wasnt the only one who experienced this kind of thing.

The most dramatic case of waitress blundering though was the following converstation that I am editing slightly for brevity (and because I cant rremember all of the exact words anyway).

Waitress to co-waorker: I split your bill with seat 6 so it would be more even for you.

Co-worker: You what?

Waitress: I split your bill between you two since you are each paying for the two workers leaving your company just to make it fair.

Co-worker: But the other person is also paying for her husbands meal, so it shouldnt be even bill.

Waitress: Oh, I see, well the meals all average out to $7 anyway.

Co-worker: I dont care. Please, correct the bill and bill me for what I said I ordered.

Waitress: OK, well, I'll be right back, sweety.

(waitress goes away for a few minutes then returns)

Waitress: Sorry ma'am, but I cant change your bill.

Co-worker: You cant what?

Waitress: I cant change your bill. The computer has it recorded the way I put it in and only the manager can change that, but he is in a meeting.

Co-worker: I dont understand.

Waitress (sits down in chair next to co-worker): See hon, (holds the ticket out for co-worker to see along with her) I have this and this and this on your ticket and I cant take it off because the computer has these items on your ticket.

Co-worker (exasperated): OK, fine, whatever. Here is my card.....

When my co-worker told me about it with another co-worker verifying the account, I was stunned at the waitresses behavior (though my own experience with her made me think it all within the realm of plausibility) but also that my co-worker actually paid for the items she didnt order.

There is no way in hell I would have paid for that stuff, period, nada, zero, null chance at that whatsoever.

When I said this, everyone looked at me like I was being unreasonable.

Would you have paid that ticket?

Long story short...... pay the damn bill and don't leave a tip.

If I'm understanding your story properly it sounds as if the waitress had good intentions, i.e. not sticking one coworker with the bill for the husband. None of her business, of course, but in the overall scheme of things not a killing offense.

Let me get this straight, if a waitress suddenly decided that, because you were the only single person at the table, you should pay a share of all the other dinners at the table in order to make things fair, you would just pay? I do not believe that, and think that anyone that is arguing that is fair is a complete idiot.

"Complete idiot" and "Ravi" is redundant.

Forum List

Back