• No

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Would have gotten whoever was in charge to fix check, then paid

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • I dunno

Votes: 1 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
lol, let me guess; you're a liberal, right?

Um...far from it Elroy.

From the OP:

A co-worker, whom I greatly respect did something I cannot fathom. ...

So I thought I would bounce it off some folks here and see if I am way off base here or if she might have been to quick to avoid a socially awkward situation. .... I was stunned at the waitresses behavior .....There is no way in hell I would have paid for that stuff, period, nada, zero, null chance at that whatsoever.

There's a reason you respect your co-worker: She is not an asshole in social situations.

Has nothing to do with her politics.

I now have a question regarding the type of person the OP respects. They probably embarrassed the poor waitress, sitting around critiquing her performance then walked away without tipping.

They all need a life if $7 is so important to them. Of course she's an asshole in social situations or she would have spoken to the manager quietly and not ridiculed the waitress in front of the other diners.

Um...far from it Elroy.

From the OP:

A co-worker, whom I greatly respect did something I cannot fathom. ...

So I thought I would bounce it off some folks here and see if I am way off base here or if she might have been to quick to avoid a socially awkward situation. .... I was stunned at the waitresses behavior .....There is no way in hell I would have paid for that stuff, period, nada, zero, null chance at that whatsoever.

There's a reason you respect your co-worker: She is not an asshole in social situations.

I now have a question regarding the type of person the OP respects. They probably embarrassed the poor waitress, sitting around critiquing her performance then walked away without tipping.

They all need a life if $7 is so important to them. Of course she's an asshole in social situations or she would have spoken to the manager quietly and not ridiculed the waitress in front of the other diners.

My take here is that the OP wishes he wasn't an anti-social asshole, but cannot bring himself to spend more than $7.00 to actually BE any more than an anti-social asshole.

Penny Wise; Pound Foolish.

Here is what i would do:

I would just think "whatever" with the waitress. Maybe it is her first day on the job. Maybe her boyfriend left her. Who cares? Whatever. Fixing the bill is going to take an inordinate amount of time and time and not aggravating yourself are of much higher value than a few dollars. I would probably have put the entire bill on my check and then just ask those who are paying to just pay me for their dinners, then i would move on and forget about it.

It's really not that much money. I would have just paid the bill and since the waitress seemed incompetent she would get a small tip. I'd politely tell the waitress I was dissatisfied with her. If the other people want to settle up with me later, fine, if not, that's fine also.
I would call the restaurant later and tell the manager what happened. The manager needs to know if his/her wait staff is incompetent so that he can take appropriate action to correct the situation.

It's really not that much money. I would have just paid the bill and since the waitress seemed incompetent she would get a small tip. I'd politely tell the waitress I was dissatisfied with her. If the other people want to settle up with me later, fine, if not, that's fine also.
I would call the restaurant later and tell the manager what happened. The manager needs to know if his/her wait staff is incompetent so that he can take appropriate action to correct the situation.

:eusa_clap:

Hey Scout,

I hope you get your Merit Badge for Preventing Restaurant Incompetence.

:eusa_clap:

Hey Scout,

I hope you get your Merit Badge for Preventing Restaurant Incompetence.

That would be, Preventing Future Restaurant Incompetence

If I'm understanding your story properly it sounds as if the waitress had good intentions, i.e. not sticking one coworker with the bill for the husband. None of her business, of course, but in the overall scheme of things not a killing offense.

Yeah, she had no malicious intent at all, but had a sort of goofy-loosey attitude about other peoples money.

I think that is why it seems most of the liberals on this thread are saying that they would have paid.

A co-worker, whom I greatly respect did something I cannot fathom. So I thought I would bounce it off some folks here and see if I am way off base here or if she might have been to quick to avoid a socially awkward situation.

We were eating at a new resturaunt, and we had a large going away party for a different co-worker. The waitress was very friendly, but a bit disorganized. She brought out the wrong meal for several of us (wrong table), forgot my straw for my soda, forgot seperate plates for the appetizer, and several times stuck her elbow in my face while she talked to the person beside me. And I wasnt the only one who experienced this kind of thing.

The most dramatic case of waitress blundering though was the following converstation that I am editing slightly for brevity (and because I cant rremember all of the exact words anyway).

Waitress to co-waorker: I split your bill with seat 6 so it would be more even for you.

Co-worker: You what?

Waitress: I split your bill between you two since you are each paying for the two workers leaving your company just to make it fair.

Co-worker: But the other person is also paying for her husbands meal, so it shouldnt be even bill.

Waitress: Oh, I see, well the meals all average out to $7 anyway.

Co-worker: I dont care. Please, correct the bill and bill me for what I said I ordered.

Waitress: OK, well, I'll be right back, sweety.

(waitress goes away for a few minutes then returns)

Waitress: Sorry ma'am, but I cant change your bill.

Co-worker: You cant what?

Waitress: I cant change your bill. The computer has it recorded the way I put it in and only the manager can change that, but he is in a meeting.

Co-worker: I dont understand.

Waitress (sits down in chair next to co-worker): See hon, (holds the ticket out for co-worker to see along with her) I have this and this and this on your ticket and I cant take it off because the computer has these items on your ticket.

Co-worker (exasperated): OK, fine, whatever. Here is my card.....

When my co-worker told me about it with another co-worker verifying the account, I was stunned at the waitresses behavior (though my own experience with her made me think it all within the realm of plausibility) but also that my co-worker actually paid for the items she didnt order.

There is no way in hell I would have paid for that stuff, period, nada, zero, null chance at that whatsoever.

When I said this, everyone looked at me like I was being unreasonable.

Would you have paid that ticket?

$7? This whole thing is petty on your part. Happy New Year, cheapskate. I feel sorry for the waitress.

Lol, I cant help but wonder if you really read the OP.

1. It was not $7. That was just a guesstimate by the waitress.

2. I was not involved. I had a $10.75 meal and gave the waitress a $2.25 tip. I normally tip about 50% if I like the service, 20% if it was utterly forgetable, and 10% if I did not like it.

3. All I did was say that there was no way I would have paid the bill as my co-worker did. (And yes, she is also a liberal, but at least she was being liberal with her OWN MONEY).

Funny, i am not a liberal and i would have paid. I always wonder why people get so worked up over bad service at a restaurant as if they are never going to eat again. I have found that people getting upset over bad service and then going on and on about how they were dissed or whatever is more upsetting and ruins the fun of dining than does the actual bad service. Bad service, so what? And, it does sound like the waitress did try to engage the party and do some things she thought would be helpful in her way.

I would have laughed and paid the bill.
Life is too short to get all in a huffy over something so small.

The waitress is probably new, or she made a mistake and couldn't fix it because she doesn't have access to change what she did. The manager was probably not is a meeting of course, but is probably an asswipe power-jerk so she was trying to get out of having to tell him.

At any rate - if the individual bills are all about the same - then who cares. Certainly not worth the stress of complaining, demanding and waiting for a new bill.

lol, let me guess; you're a liberal, right?

Um...far from it Elroy.

I looked up a few of your posts and you came across as a liberal to me, but so what?

We have different definitions of the word, obviously.

Frankly, I think you are an idiot for your response, but I was trying to be charitable.

Waitresses who fuck with tickets like that are generally dipping into the till.

I would have talked to the manager, and refused to pay it. I sure as SHIT wouldn't have let that woman run my card.

I know because I spent some years as a cocktail waitress and a bartender, I know whereof I speak. It's pretty common. She's covering her ass somehow. And it doesn't always make sense to those looking on, they're quite devious and often addled by drugs when they do it.

Really? You are going to make all kinds of assumptions like that? Sheesh. I usually err on the side of thinking most people actually do mean well.

I respect my co-worker because she is damned good at her job, one of the best I have worked with and that has nothing to do with her social skills, though for the most part I like them.

This is just one of the very few things I disagree with her on regarding social situations and what prompted me to start this thread.

And there is NOTHING asshole about refusing to pay for something you did not order, Einstein.

lolololol

You are a total moron.

My take here is that the OP wishes he wasn't an anti-social asshole, but cannot bring himself to spend more than $7.00 to actually BE any more than an anti-social asshole.

Penny Wise; Pound Foolish.

lolol, another totally stupid, presumptive, factless response.

Congratulations for being tag-team mates with another moron.

Really? You are going to make all kinds of assumptions like that? Sheesh. I usually err on the side of thinking most people actually do mean well.

I make that assumption because I've seen how waitresses who are dipping into the till act.

And that's how they act. They mess with tickets, they make "mistakes" and they cover their tracks.

It's not behavior that is tolerated by any establishment. She didn't make a mistake, she was conning. What she did is actually, in and of itself, illegal.

Forum List

Back