So what should Obama have done?

What SHOULD The President have done?

I can only say what I would have done...

On April 21st or 22nd I'd have gathered the executives of BP, Transocean and Halliburton and said something to the effect of "Dudes... You fucked up. Thanks for the $25 million campaign contribution, but you guys screwed the pooch on this one no matter what the actual cause turns out to be. You have 7 days to make at least the appearance of an AWESOME job of teamwork arresting this cluster-fuck or I'm going to insist that you sit the fuck down, shut the fuck up and get out your check books to pay for a military response."

Then I would have said "Yeah, yeah... have your lawyers call the US attorneys office in Baton Rouge, there is where you will be picking the jury to judge you. Now, sit the fuck down, shut the fuck up and get out your check books."

But that's just me.

Ravi, if an oil company has the choice between a land site, a shallow water site, or a deep water size, the LAST choice they will make is the deep water site, BUT if they are given a choice of a deep water site, or NO site, well of course they are going to choose the deep water site. They are after all in business to make money.
The abundance of yet to be drilled shallow water drilling sites proves you wrong.

You do realize that land sites and shallow water sites are off limits in the US , yes?
There are plenty of shallow water sites that are not off limits.

I was asking about keeping it real, I have failed in keeping it real. Free market has it's hands in solar energy.....people aren't buying into it for a number of reasons, Ravi. The same with wind energy...there are reasons for it. I don't think we're going to isolate ourselves from the world anytime soon, so just throw that one out. I'm sorry but the oil companies are in the back pockets of nearly every politician, so we can throw that one out also.
We have to buy oil from the middle east, or we can drill our own oil on land and shallow water. It was your environmentalist buddies that forced the deep water drilling, let's all look and see how that worked out. We could go with more nuclear energy, but again your buddies closed that down.
Sigh...obviously you can't get past your own blinders. No one forced anyone to do deep water drilling. Oil companies are going to drill where ever they can, as much as they can, and for as long as they can.

Hopefully this will clarify what I meant

WASHINGTON Here's my question: Why are we drilling in 5,000 feet of water in the first place?
Many reasons, but this one goes unmentioned: Environmental chic has driven us out there. As production from the shallower Gulf of Mexico wells declines, we go deep (1,000 feet and more) and ultra deep (5,000 feet and more), in part because environmentalists have succeeded in rendering the Pacific and nearly all the Atlantic coast off-limits to oil production. (President Obama's tentative, selective opening of some Atlantic and offshore Alaska sites is now dead.) And of course, in the safest of all places, on land, we've had a 30-year ban on drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge.
Oil spill culprits run deep | obama, oil, deep - Opinion - The Orange County Register
Opinions and rightwing talking points are not facts.

Sigh...obviously you can't get past your own blinders. No one forced anyone to do deep water drilling. Oil companies are going to drill where ever they can, as much as they can, and for as long as they can.

WASHINGTON Here's my question: Why are we drilling in 5,000 feet of water in the first place?
Many reasons, but this one goes unmentioned: Environmental chic has driven us out there. As production from the shallower Gulf of Mexico wells declines, we go deep (1,000 feet and more) and ultra deep (5,000 feet and more), in part because environmentalists have succeeded in rendering the Pacific and nearly all the Atlantic coast off-limits to oil production. (President Obama's tentative, selective opening of some Atlantic and offshore Alaska sites is now dead.) And of course, in the safest of all places, on land, we've had a 30-year ban on drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge.
Oil spill culprits run deep | obama, oil, deep - Opinion - The Orange County Register

Ravi, you have avoided this question the entire thread. Answer. What about your fellow Americans who simply could in noway afford a life of $8/Gal gasoline? Fuck them?

Ravi, you have avoided this question the entire thread. Answer. What about your fellow Americans who simply could in noway afford a life of $8/Gal gasoline? Fuck them?
What about the people that live on the probably destroyed Gulf coast? Fuck them?

I think that people can find a way around spending as much on gas by car pooling, riding the bus, etc. A little hurt for a couple of years is nothing compared to decades of sludge in the Gulf of Mexico. Not even mentioning the funding of countries that support terrorism by buying their oil.

What about the people that live on the probably destroyed Gulf coast? Fuck them?

I think that people can find a way around spending as much on gas by car pooling, riding the bus, etc. A little hurt for a couple of years is nothing compared to decades of sludge in the Gulf of Mexico. Not even mentioning the funding of countries that support terrorism by buying their oil.

That's real nice if you live where mass transit in an option. Where I live it isn't. Some people live an hour from work. You're being selfish and irresponsible.

Fuck the people on the gulf coast? Hasn't BP just agreed to spend $20B to clean up that mess and take care of people?

On April 21st or 22nd I'd have gathered the executives of BP, Transocean and Halliburton and said something to the effect of "Dudes... You fucked up. Thanks for the $25 million campaign contribution, but you guys screwed the pooch on this one no matter what the actual cause turns out to be. You have 7 days to make at least the appearance of an AWESOME job of teamwork arresting this cluster-fuck or I'm going to insist that you sit the fuck down, shut the fuck up and get out your check books to pay for a military response."

Then I would have said "Yeah, yeah... have your lawyers call the US attorneys office in Baton Rouge, there is where you will be picking the jury to judge you. Now, sit the fuck down, shut the fuck up and get out your check books."

But that's just me.

Better late than never, eh?

20 Billion... Good start. Late, but good.​

But that's just me.

I honestly would have told Obama to fuck off. I would have wrote him a check for $75M ant told him good luck cleaning the mess up since you are the ones who told us we had to go to 5000 ' of water when we wanted to drill in 500' and now you're being a fucking prick for political reasons., AND $75M is the limit set by Congress. Sue me for the rest you fucktard

That's real nice if you live where mass transit in an option. Where I live it isn't. Some people live an hour from work. You're being selfish and irresponsible.

Fuck the people on the gulf coast? Hasn't BP just agreed to spend $20B to clean up that mess and take care of people?
Actually, you're the one being selfish and irresponsible. Your selfishness is destroying the Gulf of Mexico.

But that's just me.

I honestly would have told Obama to fuck off. I would have wrote him a check for $75M ant told him good luck cleaning the mess up since you are the ones who told us we had to go to 5000 ' of water when we wanted to drill in 500' and now you're being a fucking prick for political reasons., AND $75M is the limit set by Congress. Sue me for the rest you fucktard
Why do you lie so much?

well the incompetent nincompoop you voted for just ensured that we will remain dependent on terrorist oil for the next couple of decades.. obie wan is an asswipe who just put 20,000 people out of work.

Why do you lie so much?

he's not lying, just cause you don't want to hear it doesn't mean he's lying.

well the incompetent nincompoop you voted for just ensured that we will remain dependent on terrorist oil for the next couple of decades.. obie wan is an asswipe who just put 20,000 people out of work.
Not even LA is claiming that nonsense. Get your talking points straight, dope.

oh brother......sorry, Ravi, facts are facts no matter which side it come from. Doesn't mean they aren't true

But that's just me.

Part of me, the part that loves disaster for its anarchy based entertainment value, kind of wishes BP, et al. had done just that.

It can be kind of cool when leadership fails and a big enough group of people get fucked over. Hasn't happened here in a long while...

Credit to leadership? Perhaps... Perhaps not.

A LOT fewer folks are heading toward 'frustrated to the point of leaving the couch' since Obama coerced a 20 Billion promise and an apology from the people hiding behind the corporate shield.

what planet do you live on again?

http://www.thefoxnation.com/business/2010/06/04/obama-drilling-ban-costing-thousands-jobs

Last edited:

I see, destroy the economy....that's exactly what your saying, Ravi. Although, you won't admit that is exactly what would happen.

oh brother......sorry, Ravi, facts are facts no matter which side it come from. Doesn't mean they aren't true
There are still shallow wells being drilled in the gulf. That there are deepwater wells is not because we won't let shallow ones be drilled but it is because the technology has allowed the oil companies to go deeper and deeper into the gulf.

This is pretty basic stuff. Quit listening to Palin...your brain cells are dying.

Actually, you're the one being selfish and irresponsible. Your selfishness is destroying the Gulf of Mexico.

And your selfishness would destroy our country's economy.

what planet do you live on again?

Ravi doesn't care about those 20,000 employees, nor does s/he care about the millions who's financial lives will be destroyed if oil suddenly skyrockets to $250/barrel.

As long as s/he can say "look I care more about the environment than those mean old conservatives who do stupid things like oh look at financial reality, someone pass the chocolate covered unicorn dust"

Fucking stupid ass 2010 versions of 60's hippies. No smarter, no more engaged in reality, just smell a little better.

Forum List

Back