So Much For The Idiotic "Gun Free Zone" Meme

Most mass shootings take place in the killer's workplace or school.

THAT is the most common factor. Not assault weapons. Not "gun free zones". Not high capacity magazines.

Workplace. School. THAT is what we should be focusing on.

We tell people to report our co-workers or friends if they talk a lot about suicide. We need the same awareness raising for workplace and school shootings.

Terrorist attacks are an entirely different category, and should not be conflated with the vast, vast, vast majority of shootings which take place in the workplace and at school.

The Orlando shooter sure would have killed a lot less had he used a derringer.
He would have just made a few pressure cooker bombs.

You really are stuck, aren't you. Stuck in a ridiculous rut. Tunnel vision.

Making bombs is illegal.

So is shooting up a night club.

Sadly for you, bad guys are more than capable of thinking outside the box.

The Weathermen used to blow up police stations.

I'm pretty sure police stations aren't gun free zones.

They pulled off a shitload of bombings all around the country. And they didn't need high capacity magazines or assault weapons to do it.

THAT is the most common factor. Not assault weapons. Not "gun free zones". Not high capacity magazines.

We tell people to report our co-workers or friends if they talk a lot about suicide. We need the same awareness raising for workplace and school shootings.

Terrorist attacks are an entirely different category, and should not be conflated with the vast, vast, vast majority of shootings which take place in the workplace and at school.

Making bombs is illegal.

Yes and sadly people are dead when that crime is committed. Catching someone trying to build a bomb can be done before people die.

The Weathermen used to blow up police stations.

I'm pretty sure police stations aren't gun free zones.

They pulled off a shitload of bombings all around the country. And they didn't need high capacity magazines or assault weapons to do it.

Terrorists attack police stations and even military bases in the Middle East and Africa.

Well you're not a mass murderer until you commit mass murder and are convicted as such. We cannot punish people for a crime that they have yet to carry out.

I have no issues with what guns/mags/etc. are currently legally available, I do think we should have background checks though-I have no problem taking a background check to purchase firearms.

So we are legally selling guns that can kill 49 and injure over 50 in minutes at a location with armed security and you don't have a problem with that weapon? You think legally arming killers with weapons for mass killing is a good idea?

-First of all I know somebody who died in Orlando (he was a friend of my wife), so I assure you I'm well aware of what the consequences are/were, so let's try to keep emotions out of the debate, because I promise that my pathos is much more personal than most.

-You are NOT a murderer until you kill somebody. This is America and we have the due process of the law and courts, everybody is innocent of any crime before they are convicted of a crime. The mass murderer of Orlando was not a mass murderer the day before the shooting.

-I'm 100% for background checks and ending gun show loopholes, and I assure you I'm more than likely more versed on gun laws in Florida than you are.

-What I don't understand is this: I'm a law abiding citizen, I give back to my community, I dedicate my life/career to improving my community, I have zero arrest records, I have passed a FBI background check (they have my finger prints on file)...yet some people tell me that I shouldn't be able to own a weapon like that for my own self-defense? That I should be a sitting duck in my house?

Here's the question I've posed countless times on here (you can search my post history), but have NEVER had an answer from the "gun control crowd" (for lack of a better term):

I'm a high school teacher, in a rough school. I have students who sell drugs, are in street gangs, and sometimes they bring guns to school-this is not an exagerration. All of my classes have ~25 students (give or take 1). If a student of mine stands up and start shooting people, how can I effectively protect the lives of my 24 other students?
I have answered you question before. If the shooter knows teachers can be armed you will be the first one shot and never see it coming.

And if the shooter misses, or grazes me? You responded to the question, but you did not answer it. There's a big difference.

He won't. Like I said you will be dead before you know what happened.

Again you're responding to the question, not answering it. It's like this:

QUESTION: "what is 2+2?"

You RESPOND with: "well if we make it 2+2X7, it would be 16"

That's a response to a question, NOT an answer-I cannot make that any more clear. If a student gave me the type of response you gave me-they'd fail, not because of their views, but because they're neglecting the answer the question. In this case I suspect it's because you don't have a reasonable answer, so you're choosing to change the goalposts and get away with it. You're better off just not responding to my posts, I'm not an uneducated right-wing gun nut (there are some out there), and if you want to debate let's keep it intellectual and on topic, if not I'm not going to waste my time with silly games.

PS: How can you be so sure that a shooter would hit me (mortally) right away? Do you have a crystal ball in your pocket? Do you know what the lottery numbers are going to be this week?

Seriously do you have any reading comprehension skills?

So we are legally selling guns that can kill 49 and injure over 50 in minutes at a location with armed security and you don't have a problem with that weapon? You think legally arming killers with weapons for mass killing is a good idea?

-First of all I know somebody who died in Orlando (he was a friend of my wife), so I assure you I'm well aware of what the consequences are/were, so let's try to keep emotions out of the debate, because I promise that my pathos is much more personal than most.

-You are NOT a murderer until you kill somebody. This is America and we have the due process of the law and courts, everybody is innocent of any crime before they are convicted of a crime. The mass murderer of Orlando was not a mass murderer the day before the shooting.

-I'm 100% for background checks and ending gun show loopholes, and I assure you I'm more than likely more versed on gun laws in Florida than you are.

-What I don't understand is this: I'm a law abiding citizen, I give back to my community, I dedicate my life/career to improving my community, I have zero arrest records, I have passed a FBI background check (they have my finger prints on file)...yet some people tell me that I shouldn't be able to own a weapon like that for my own self-defense? That I should be a sitting duck in my house?

Here's the question I've posed countless times on here (you can search my post history), but have NEVER had an answer from the "gun control crowd" (for lack of a better term):

I'm a high school teacher, in a rough school. I have students who sell drugs, are in street gangs, and sometimes they bring guns to school-this is not an exagerration. All of my classes have ~25 students (give or take 1). If a student of mine stands up and start shooting people, how can I effectively protect the lives of my 24 other students?
I have answered you question before. If the shooter knows teachers can be armed you will be the first one shot and never see it coming.

And if the shooter misses, or grazes me? You responded to the question, but you did not answer it. There's a big difference.

That's a response to a question, NOT an answer-I cannot make that any more clear. If a student gave me the type of response you gave me-they'd fail, not because of their views, but because they're neglecting the answer the question. In this case I suspect it's because you don't have a reasonable answer, so you're choosing to change the goalposts and get away with it. You're better off just not responding to my posts, I'm not an uneducated right-wing gun nut (there are some out there), and if you want to debate let's keep it intellectual and on topic, if not I'm not going to waste my time with silly games.

PS: How can you be so sure that a shooter would hit me (mortally) right away? Do you have a crystal ball in your pocket? Do you know what the lottery numbers are going to be this week?

I have answered your question. If they know teachers can be armed you will be the first corpse.

More people are accidently shot and killed than in mass shootings. What happens when teachers accidently shoot and kill children?

Making bombs is illegal.

Yes and sadly people are dead when that crime is committed. Catching someone trying to build a bomb can be done before people die.

It can't aways be caught/prevented, that's the world we live in.

Even if it could though, we need to draw a line with personal freedom at some point. I don't know about you, but I don't want to live in a nation where people are guilty of crimes before they've been convicted, and don't want to live in a nation where the government can throw you into prison/limit your freedoms with the due process of law/courts.

I have answered your question. If they know teachers can be armed you will be the first corpse.

More people are accidently shot and killed than in mass shootings. What happens when teachers accidently shoot and kill children?

-Smart guns in a holster-gun can't "accidentally" be fired

-Teachers will be the first target regardless if we carry or not, so why not give us a fighting chance to save our student's lives?

Making bombs is illegal.

Even if it could though, we need to draw a line with personal freedom at some point. I don't know about you, but I don't want to live in a nation where people are guilty of crimes before they've been convicted, and don't want to live in a nation where the government can throw you into prison/limit your freedoms with the due process of law/courts.

Yes it can't happen at all when you legally sell weapons for mass killing.

-Teachers will be the first target regardless if we carry or not, so why not give us a fighting chance to save our student's lives?

I would allow smart guns in. Gun nuts won't let them in the country however. Ones right is limited when it comes to smart guns it seems.

Because gun free zones stop accidental shootings. Let guns in and now we have accidents.

Making bombs is illegal.

It's so easy to get guns on the black market. Gangs and organized crime do it all of the time.

A couple of teenage high school kids at Columbine were able to get guns (illegally) and carry out a mass shooting. If they can do it, I'm pretty sure a terrorist organization will have the capabilities of doing so.

People can't safely learn to carry. You want them around children?

Ohio gun shop owner fatally shot while teaching concealed carry class

Making bombs is illegal.

It's so easy to get guns on the black market. Gangs and organized crime do it all of the time.

A couple of teenage high school kids at Columbine were able to get guns (illegally) and carry out a mass shooting. If they can do it, I'm pretty sure a terrorist organization will have the capabilities of doing so.

And they can be caught before killing. That also happens all the time.

I would allow smart guns in. Gun nuts won't let them in the country however. Ones right is limited when it comes to smart guns it seems.

Because gun free zones stop accidental shootings. Let guns in and now we have accidents.

Allowing smart guns for teachers is reasonable in my opinion, having no weapons at all isn't, like I said I don't mind risking my life for my students (if there's a shooter from off campus that comes to my school, unfortunately my room is in a prime area for entry and exit on campus)-I just want a fighting chance to survive and save the lives of students, and I honestly don't think that's unreasonable.

People also can't drive safely, should we prevent people from driving in public?

And they can be caught before killing. That also happens all the time.

Absolutely it can, but we have the Bill of Rights for a reason, and we need to be very careful giving up more freedoms (in this case not just the 2nd), because we've already given up quite a bit in a post 9/11 America.

Allowing smart guns for teachers is reasonable in my opinion, having no weapons at all isn't, like I said I don't mind risking my life for my students (if there's a shooter from off campus that comes to my school, unfortunately my room is in a prime area for entry and exit on campus)-I just want a fighting chance to survive and save the lives of students, and I honestly don't think that's unreasonable.

People also can't drive safely, should we prevent people from driving in public?

Then we agree on smart guns. Now talk the gun nuts into it.

Cars are pretty save all things considered.

Then we agree on smart guns. Now talk the gun nuts into it.

Cars are pretty save all things considered.

You're more likely to be injured/killed in a car crash than you are from a gun (not including suicides obviously).

Forum List

Back