So "Mary Poppins" is Racist.

Little known fact

Mary Poppins used to make cookies for Klan rallies

‘Mary Poppins,’ and a Nanny’s Shameful Flirting With Blackface

Dick Van Dyke plays a chimney sweep. But the soot on his face is racism.

More righteous hypersensitivity. The Regressive Left has lost its marbles.
tmp_y6jcO2_625d419bb2fa2078_M4DMAPO_EC006.jpg
That isnt really what the article is saying. I havent read the books or seen the films so I cant comment on the content, But the writer does raise interesting points.
Hitler's goal want to murder Jews and opposing Armies, it was to improve Germanys economy. I guess he has some interesting points too. Fascists always do.

That isnt really what the article is saying. I havent read the books or seen the films so I cant comment on the content, But the writer does raise interesting points.
People can interpret thing in all ways because of the times we live in. So when I watch a commercial and hear white boy this and white boy that I know there is no animosity and hate. And the rap songs, oh the rap songs. And the one way comedy. And movies and TV programs with the same spiel. We have to many people with social justice degrees milking the system with easy lives while promoting racial conflict. Perhaps degrees in real jobs that are needed would improve things for us all. This is not removing obvious racial wrongs, this is removing the identity of the white race. And when it is replaced, you won't like the results.
Is this song racist?

No but this one might lean that way.......

Good lord. Is he being satirical or are those his heartfelt beliefs ?

That's the fastest pull down I've seen in awhile. No, I don't want to know what I missed either. I laughed at the idea of a 100 year old man driving around yelling at bad drivers, but it was more than that, wasn't it?

railroader for 55 years. 24 Ford in the background
DOnigger.jpg

I couldn't read the article because of the paywall, but was the maid and the Hottentot reference the only "racist" thing in Mary Poppins? Sure, Disney pulled that quote when it did the movie, and it didn't hurt a thing. No movie follows the text exactly, and her comment didn't extend the narrative in any way. It was just a quip.

I don't agree with changing older literature to reflect modern mores. It was written when it was written and usually it reflects the times in which it was written. I still don't see the problem with Little Black Sambo, which I really liked as a little kid because it ended in pancakes with lots of butter, which was one of my favorites. And Sambo didn't get et, either.

Reading Little Black Sambo didn't make me racist--the fact that Sambo was black didn't send any messages to me except that it was a far away country that had tigers. The kid was black. SO WHAT?
Our history is our history. Covering up today things that happened in the past accomplishes what? Doesn’t change what happened, but it does change our history to ensuing generations which is wrong and unnecessary. Using this Mary Poppins example, until now there’s been no black face flap by millions of people who’ve enjoyed it over the decades, yet today no one would make a movie featuring any black face scenes. It’s come about without banning or eliminating MP scenes as well as countless others from old movies, plays, literature, etc.

Nobody banned anything here.

Do you think it is valuable to examine texts etc. with a mind toward making new readers aware of the impact that racist tropes had on those who read them in the past?

Why did racist lefty use an Italian to portray as an "Indian" in those commercials.

The racist leftist environmentalists could not find an ACTUAL NATIVE AMERICAN?

What racists.

LOL

Espera Oscar de Corti was his real name. He was Sicilian. To be fair many Indians portrayed by Hollywood in movies and TV in the past were Italian due to their noses, cheekbones, and sometimes darker skin. Yes, I know. Racist.

People can interpret thing in all ways because of the times we live in. So when I watch a commercial and hear white boy this and white boy that I know there is no animosity and hate. And the rap songs, oh the rap songs. And the one way comedy. And movies and TV programs with the same spiel. We have to many people with social justice degrees milking the system with easy lives while promoting racial conflict. Perhaps degrees in real jobs that are needed would improve things for us all. This is not removing obvious racial wrongs, this is removing the identity of the white race. And when it is replaced, you won't like the results.
Is this song racist?

That's the fastest pull down I've seen in awhile. No, I don't want to know what I missed either. I laughed at the idea of a 100 year old man driving around yelling at bad drivers, but it was more than that, wasn't it?

View attachment 257094

Wow. A kid's doll smoking a cigar? I wonder if your Dad slept with him? (I don't mean that in a flame zone kind of way.) Those were old days.

Hitler's goal want to murder Jews and opposing Armies, it was to improve Germanys economy. I guess he has some interesting points too. Fascists always do.
It is the work of a genius to connect a literary critique of a kids book to Adolf Hitler. A staggering achievement.

Perhaps if we look at films and TV entertainment and see if some one playing a character of another culture is derogatory at all. Do you remember "Get Smart"? There was a character named Harry Hoo who appeared to be played by a white guy who was not derogatory and most likely a character created for the times on that spoof show. His meanest comments were when Maxwell Smart would do something stupid and he would spew.."Amazing".

Well, Mac got it wrong, and you know what it really "says", then perhaps you could share that knowledge with us less perceptive folk?

The article highlights the racist roots in the original book. You could argue that it was "of the time" when society itself was backward and unjust .I have some sympathy with that. The UK still had its colonies and the US still treated blacks as non citizens.
The literature of the time reflected this.I dont see any great artistic issues with removing racial slurs from kids books like Mary Poppins. But I would have a problem when it comes to great works of art like Huck Finn.
This is not a war on white people.Read the article.

There is nothing "shameful" in addressing the racist or "backwards" attitude of the time in a period piece.

It is not ill intent towards black people to include material based on making fun of the racist attitudes of white people of the time.

Is this song racist?

View attachment 257094

Wow. A kid's doll smoking a cigar? I wonder if your Dad slept with him? (I don't mean that in a flame zone kind of way.) Those were old days.

Solid cement/concrete so the Boyz in White couldn't behead it.:afro:

View attachment 257094

Solid cement/concrete so the Boyz in White couldn't behead it.:afro:

No, I don't think so, Likkmee. Look at the arms and the feet. It's a life sized doll, I'm pretty sure. I had one that I could strap onto my feet and dance with. Not a black face doll chewing a cigar, though.

Sambo' is not a racial slur.

Good Lord, the artist was a liberal at that time and opposed racial segregation, and she was doing a satirical piece mocking racist rhetoric.

She was not advancinig racism, but opposing.,

These are the same kind of idiots that object to Huckleberry Finn.

Or maybe even good intentions can go bad. Let's assume that there've been a lot of cases of well-intentioned satires and comedies that tried to tell the right message about racism, but still wound up being, well, kind of offensive to a modern audience.

When Blazing Saddles came out, my aunt told me of a couple of her coworkers who went to see it, one black and one white, and the white guy laughed hysterically every time the N-word was used. The black lady was offended by that.

Probably not Mel Brooks intent, but that was the result.

And no one is familiar with chimney sweeps before, during and after the industrial revolution.....
He's basing it on past writings with derogatory remarks made towards South Africans.

Daniel Pollack-Pelzner---nobody listened to before and nobody is listening to since.

Our history is our history. Covering up today things that happened in the past accomplishes what? Doesn’t change what happened, but it does change our history to ensuing generations which is wrong and unnecessary. Using this Mary Poppins example, until now there’s been no black face flap by millions of people who’ve enjoyed it over the decades, yet today no one would make a movie featuring any black face scenes. It’s come about without banning or eliminating MP scenes as well as countless others from old movies, plays, literature, etc.

Then why do the old works of art need the racist stuff kept in.

They had a character called Sunflower in Disney's Fantasia. Racist as shit depiction of a black pickinanny as a centaur, waiting on all the white lady centaurs. In later releases they eliminated the character either by cropping her out or digitally removing her. It actually made the movie more enjoyable.

upload_2019-4-21_14-18-25.jpeg

Fact is, art changes all the time. We use modern technology to record Mozart's music, we edit down books into containable forms when we adapt them to movies...

This is just another wonderful case of white racists saying, "Why can't you let us be comfortable in our racism!"

Forum List

Back