so many of you talk about the poor and underpriveledged

Remodeling Maidiac

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2011
Kansas City
But you seemingly have no perspective on what it means to truly be poor. Or why someone is in that situation.

The terms are thrown around on USMB anytime it serves your personal agenda or ideology without giving any thought to what constitutes their personal circumstances. I've told my story a couple times so I won't go into it again but sufficed to say most of you are clueless.

Most of the time a mere lack of priorities leads a family down the wrong path. How many times have you stopped to help a homeless person to offer help only to have it denied? I have many times. On occasion I've offered to work someone with a "will work for food" sign only to have them put out their cigarette (which cost money) and tell me they really only had time for cash gifts.

Then you have families that can barely afford to put food on the table yet they have cable and xboxes. My brother is one of those people. He is right now as we speak sleeping in my basement despite being told to find a job by this Monday or get out.

I am tired of people always saying we have to do more for the poor when a large portion of them won't even help themselves. I lifted myself from poverty so why do I have to do for others what they can do for themselves? I'm not saying we shouldn't have a safety net but I am saying the able but unwilling can fall through our safety net for all I care.

But you seemingly have no perspective on what it means to truly be poor. Or why someone is in that situation.

The terms are thrown around on USMB anytime it serves your personal agenda or ideology without giving any thought to what constitutes their personal circumstances. I've told my story a couple times so I won't go into it again but sufficed to say most of you are clueless.

Most of the time a mere lack of priorities leads a family down the wrong path. How many times have you stopped to help a homeless person to offer help only to have it denied? I have many times. On occasion I've offered to work someone with a "will work for food" sign only to have them put out their cigarette (which cost money) and tell me they really only had time for cash gifts.

Then you have families that can barely afford to put food on the table yet they have cable and xboxes. My brother is one of those people. He is right now as we speak sleeping in my basement despite being told to find a job by this Monday or get out.

I am tired of people always saying we have to do more for the poor when a large portion of them won't even help themselves. I lifted myself from poverty so why do I have to do for others what they can do for themselves? I'm not saying we shouldn't have a safety net but I am saying the able but unwilling can fall through our safety net for all I care.

So how do you define "large portion". You seem to want to not help anyone because you've witnessed the bad apples you take advantage of the system. Then you assume that a large portion of the poor are just like your brother. Seems rather short sighted. The problem is, how do you differentiate the people who truly need help from those who are milking the system? How can you provide the help to those who need it and withhold it from the deadbeats? Answer that and you'll solve something that no one else has been able to.

• Banned

So how do you define "large portion". You seem to want to not help anyone because you've witnessed the bad apples you take advantage of the system. Then you assume that a large portion of the poor are just like your brother. Seems rather short sighted. The problem is, how do you differentiate the people who truly need help from those who are milking the system? How can you provide the help to those who need it and withhold it from the deadbeats? Answer that and you'll solve something that no one else has been able to.

Start by helping anyone that needs it. But with that help require work or school. Handouts only prolong bad behavior. Require that monetary benifits be paid back upon finding employment. Make the payments very small but the point is to institute responsibility.

I don't claim to have all the answers or even the right ones but to simply keep handing out shit like candy will never solve anything.

drug test.

It's not so much that they refuse charity, they just refuse your brand of it.

Charity isn't really charity if you place conditions on it. Then? It's just one person using their money to gain power over another.

• Banned

Charity isn't really charity if you place conditions on it. Then? It's just one person using their money to gain power over another.

Holding a sign saying will work for food and then me offering that deal is not dictating terms. I don't give cash to non organized charities because it only enables bad behavior and poor priorities.

I guess your point is there is a wide range of reasons why some people do not do as well as others. The right wing loves to place the blame on the welfare queen scamming the system or those who are too lazy to work.

Any way you cut it, this is a piss poor economy. People who formerly had good jobs with good pay and benefits find themselves without work and ask "What did I do wrong?". I get tired of people calling our bottom 50% lazy and stupid. American workers are the hardest working and most productive in the world.

Truth be told, the people responsible for their struggles are still doing well. They made bad investments, they took wild risks, they were the first in line for bailouts. The financial collapse they created is hurting millions of workers. It is time we stop blaming the victims

Holding a sign saying will work for food and then me offering that deal is not dictating terms. I don't give cash to non organized charities because it only enables bad behavior and poor priorities.

If they have an actual sign that states they are willing to work for food, then yeah.......if they refuse to work for a meal and are looking for cash only, they blew the deal.

However.......if a person has a sign that says "please help" and I'm in a position to do so, I will give 'em a buck or two, no questions asked. But if you offer to buy them a sandwich in return for raking your leaves, it's up to them if they choose to accept your form of help.

Me? I look at things like that (because I don't often see them) as good karma tests for me, and I always try to choose to be helpful. But I have to know that they need help.

I guess your point is there is a wide range of reasons why some people do not do as well as others. The right wing loves to place the blame on the welfare queen scamming the system or those who are too lazy to work.

Any way you cut it, this is a piss poor economy. People who formerly had good jobs with good pay and benefits find themselves without work and ask "What did I do wrong?". I get tired of people calling our bottom 50% lazy and stupid. American workers are the hardest working and most productive in the world.

Truth be told, the people responsible for their struggles are still doing well. They made bad investments, they took wild risks, they were the first in line for bailouts. The financial collapse they created is hurting millions of workers. It is time we stop blaming the victims

So our poor didn't exist before the 08 collapse?

Partisan much?

If they have an actual sign that states they are willing to work for food, then yeah.......if they refuse to work for a meal and are looking for cash only, they blew the deal.

However.......if a person has a sign that says "please help" and I'm in a position to do so, I will give 'em a buck or two, no questions asked. But if you offer to buy them a sandwich in return for raking your leaves, it's up to them if they choose to accept your form of help.

Me? I look at things like that (because I don't often see them) as good karma tests for me, and I always try to choose to be helpful. But I have to know that they need help.

Makes sense.

But here in KC, from downtown to the plaza and beyond is full of street beggers. It gets tiresome. Our on ramps have a lot of beggers also. Usually the signs say something terrible about how hungry they or their families are. I never offer cash but either work for pay or a trip to a store or fast food restaurant and its usually declined. Most of them must be scamming for cash cause refusing food while smoking Marlboros doesn't seem to hungry to me.

Partisan much?

Not as many by a long shot. What you have is more working poor. Men who used to make $20-30 an hour doing construction are now struggling at $10 an hour.

We will always have poor. But America is exceptional, that is what I am told. We should set the example for how our poor are treated...we do not

Partisan much?

Not as many by a long shot. What you have is more working poor. Men who used to make $20-30 an hour doing construction are now struggling at $10 an hour.

We will always have poor. But America is exceptional, that is what I am told. We should set the example for how our poor are treated...we do not

Plasma claims to be one of the working poor. Yet he has cable, internet, computer, xbox, videogames etc.... None of which is cheap. Seems if he truly is poor he is the one to blame by frivolous spending rather than proper financial planning. So who is representing him wrong? Seems to me he made the decisions to spend rather than save or invest.

Partisan much?

Plasma claims to be one of the working poor. Yet he has cable, internet, computer, xbox, videogames etc.... None of which is cheap. Seems if he truly is poor he is the one to blame by frivolous spending rather than proper financial planning. So who is representing him wrong? Seems to me he made the decisions to spend rather than save or invest.

Or........he could be like me and content to be retired on a military pension. I'm DEFINITELY poor by current definition, but if I budget properly, I can afford stuff like that as well.

Especially since my child support is paid off.

Partisan much?

Typical Conservative misdirection......you can't be poor if you have toys. Toys contribute little to your standard of living. Rent, electricity, transportation, healthcare cost thousands a month. You are bitching about things that cost $100.

The working poor are finding it harder to afford the basics in life and conservatives bitch about toys

Gramps just a few days ago I stopped and slipped an old guy a few bucks, Homeless, everything the guy owned was on his cart. From just a few words I could see the guy was mentally disturbed. That my friend is poor, through what appears to be no fault of his own.

Typical Conservative misdirection......you can't be poor if you have toys. Toys contribute little to your standard of living. Rent, electricity, transportation, healthcare cost thousands a month. You are bitching about things that cost $100.

The working poor are finding it harder to afford the basics in life and conservatives bitch about toys

Interestingly enough, the xbox, cable and other things are MUCH CHEAPER than other forms of entertainment. Have you been to the movies lately? Ever priced a play?

And.......the best part is, you can reuse them for a while.

Or........he could be like me and content to be retired on a military pension. I'm DEFINITELY poor by current definition, but if I budget properly, I can afford stuff like that as well.

Especially since my child support is paid off.

he isn't any of that. He is a young family man with much more important priorities. But its easy to claim one thing to suit your ideology even when its your priorities that contributed to you being in any given situation.

Start by helping anyone that needs it. But with that help require work or school. Handouts only prolong bad behavior. Require that monetary benifits be paid back upon finding employment.
Ah, yes......'cause it's the right-thing-to-do.....right???

handjob.gif

"Neil (Bush) served as a director of Silverado Banking, Savings and Loan in Denver, Colorado, from 1985 until 1988. During that time, the now-dead thrift made over $200 million in loans to Neil's two partners in JNB Exploration, Neil's abysmally unsuccessful oil company. Silverado's failure was due at least in part to the fact that Neil's two partners welshed on $132 million in loans.

Federal regulators determined that, while Silverado was pumping loans to Neil's two associates, Neil was completely dependent on the two men for his income. The failure of Silverado -- its closure delayed until after the 1988 election -- cost taxpayers about $1 billion. After almost two years of hand-wringing had passed, an expert hired by regulators declared that Neil suffered from an "ethical disability," and he was required to pay a $50,000 fine for his ethical lapses at Silverado. Neil's estimated $250,000 in legal bills generated by the scandal are reportedly being paid for him by a banking-industry lobbyist who is fighting to get banks deregulated."

Forum List

Back