So California Girl

Back to the topic, though.
I still want to know why the numbers have not increased???????????
Because the notion that marijuana is generally damaging to the psyche is junk science. While it is true that any mood altering substance can serve as an aggravating catalyst to an existing pathology, that presumptive fact has been strategically exaggerated to serve the interest of Reefer Madness proponents.

It isn't true.

I would never hire a stoner. Those under the influence have garbage thinking and are nonproductive. And, sometimes they are outright dangerous on the job.

That is funny I know of three people who have gotten a promotion or a raise for good job performance in the last month, who also smoke pot on their free time.
You know nothing about people who smoke pot. You just believe whatever they tell you.

But way to address the OP.
Actually, I don't believe much about anything folks under the influence tell me. And, those who use cannabis on a regular basis are not too credible in my book, either. But, that really doesn't matter too much, most of the private sector and all of the federal government will shitcan a stoner if s/he has a positive piss test.

But, those who use do have a choice.

My preference is not to have them anywhere near me when I work and thankfully, my employer makes sure they aren't.

People who think people are not credible simply because they smoke marijuana are not credible in my book.

That is funny I know of three people who have gotten a promotion or a raise for good job performance in the last month, who also smoke pot on their free time.
You know nothing about people who smoke pot. You just believe whatever they tell you.

But way to address the OP.
Actually, I don't believe much about anything folks under the influence tell me. And, those who use cannabis on a regular basis are not too credible in my book, either. But, that really doesn't matter too much, most of the private sector and all of the federal government will shitcan a stoner if s/he has a positive piss test.

My preference is not to have them anywhere near me when I work and thankfully, my employer makes sure they aren't.

People who think people are not credible simply because they smoke marijuana are not credible in my book.
As I doubt our paths would ever pass, especially professionally, I'm not too concerned.

First of all, one can see the data if they have a subscription. Secondly, showing causal relationship is a very straightforward analysis of the data based on a properly designed experiment. If you have a peer-reviewed paper showing a causal relationship between drinking milk and psychosis, I encourage you to post it. Thirdly, this is the British Medical Journal which is one of the most respected scientific journals in the world. I am sure that the paper was thoroughly peer-reviewed and if the analysis on a causal relationship was not robust and the experimental design was not, the paper would not have been published.

blah, blah, blah

one doesn't have a subscription; one has no interest in getting a subscription and one can see from what is made available to the unwashed masses from the British Medical Journal that no claim is made of an increase in psychosis due to marijuana use but rather that the risk of psychosis *appears* to be increased by marijuana use.

that's a very different proposition than what you appear to be stating, and one would think much easier to float in the neverending parade of bullshit put forth by practitioners of the social *sciences*.
I suppose you don't read many scientific pubs, then. Rarely does one state anything as if it were written in stone.

I'm wondering why you asked for the data if you had no interest in it.

What I appear to be stating is quoting from two separate papers. I've shown peer-reviewed work that links cannabis use to psychosis, based on the science they did. There is always room for additional science that may further reinforce the current hypothesis, may make the hypothesis more limited and/or specific, or conflict with it. This is the way knowledge grows.

And, as far as I know, medicine is an applied science.

i didn't say i had no interest in the data. i said i had no interest in a subscription to the British Medical Journal.

even the study that you cite(at least the part of it that they let the plebes see) doesn't claim there is a direct link between marijuana use and psychosis; it says quite clearly "These studies produce the following suggestive evidence that supports the conclusionthe link between the use of cannabis and increased risks of psychosis is likely to be causal."

what exactly is suggestive evidence? how does it differ from factual evidence?

i spend most of my time reading engineering studies, and we don't do suggestive. i guess i should broaden my horizons.

as far as i know, medicine is an art and a science. this study, or what i can see of it, appears to be more artistic than scientific.

Oh, and by the way
Epidemiological evidence

Contemporary interest in this topic began with a longitudinal study of Swedish conscripts reported by Andreasson and his colleagues. 1 Their findings have been replicated and extended in a series of longitudinal studies 2 – 6 all of which have found increased rates of psychosis or psychotic symptoms in people using cannabis ( table ). Furthermore, these findings of longitudinal, case-control studies have been augmented by a series of cross-sectional studies of large populations 7 and high risk populations. 8 – 11 These studies produce the following suggestive evidence that supports the conclusion that the link between the use of cannabis and increased risks of psychosis is likely to be causal.
[Emphasis added]

Cannabis and psychosis -- Fergusson et al. 332 (7534): 172 -- bmj.com

See question in the op. ;)

As I doubt our paths would ever pass, especially professionally, I'm not too concerned.

Professional douchebag is a career path? Who knew?

Oh, and by the way
Epidemiological evidence

Contemporary interest in this topic began with a longitudinal study of Swedish conscripts reported by Andreasson and his colleagues. 1 Their findings have been replicated and extended in a series of longitudinal studies 2 – 6 all of which have found increased rates of psychosis or psychotic symptoms in people using cannabis ( table ). Furthermore, these findings of longitudinal, case-control studies have been augmented by a series of cross-sectional studies of large populations 7 and high risk populations. 8 – 11 These studies produce the following suggestive evidence that supports the conclusion that the link between the use of cannabis and increased risks of psychosis is likely to be causal.
[Emphasis added]

Cannabis and psychosis -- Fergusson et al. 332 (7534): 172 -- bmj.com

I saw it. You typed that psychosis is not increasing. Should I take your word for it or non-peer-reviewed info from the net?

Last edited:
:lol:

The wet blanket is madddddddd

Hi, you have received -265 reputation points from Si modo.
Reputation was given for this post.

Comment:
Typical pig-like quality of your posts. Smoke another joint and tell your non-drinking pals that you are sober.

Regards,
Si modo

Note: This is an automated message.

I saw it. You typed that psychosis is not increasing. Should I take your word for it or non-peer-reviewed info from the net?

I said I could post other thinks proving it has not increased. I am at work right now.;). Google is your friend. Try it sometime. When I found that article I found at least five others saying it has not increased with the increase of marijuana. In reality, the only connection is the fact both use and mental illness usually start in your late teens early twenties.

:lol:

The wet blanket is madddddddd

Hi, you have received -265 reputation points from Si modo.
Reputation was given for this post.

Comment:
Typical pig-like quality of your posts. Smoke another joint and tell your non-drinking pals that you are sober.

Regards,
Si modo

Note: This is an automated message.
Drama-Queen1.jpg

I said I could post other thinks proving it has not increased. I am at work right now.;). Google is your friend. Try it sometime. When I found that article I found at least five others saying it has not increased with the increase of marijuana. In reality, the only connection is the fact both use and mental illness usually start in your late teens early twenties.
Burden of proof has you baffled, I see.

I would never hire a stoner. Those under the influence have garbage thinking and are nonproductive. And, sometimes they are outright dangerous on the job.
A "stoner" is to marijuana what an alcoholic is to booze, so what you've said is sensible. But do you believe that everyone who occasionally enjoys the effect of marijuana is a "stoner?"

And whether being under the influence of marijuana induces "garbage thinking" depends entirely on the individual. The moderate use of marijuana can have an extremely creative ("mind expanding") effect on some people.

But your good with a guy throwing back a couple and getting behind the wheel?
That's an interesting interpretation of what I said.

No, like I said I am at work and posting from my phone. You can either wait a Few hours or you can look it up yourself.

You should exercise your own powers of observation and reason:

Psychosis is a major mental disorder in which the personality is very seriously disorganized and contact with reality is usually impaired. How many people have you known who use marijuana? Of that number, how many are manifestly psychotic?

Marijuana is above all else an amazingly effective tranquilizer, which is one reason why the pharmaceutical industry strongly supports the Partnership For a Drug-Free America. Another reason is marijuana's effectiveness in eliminating menstrual and menopausal discomfort.

You should understand that if marijuana is legalized quite a few major interests will be negatively affected, among which are the liquor industry, the pharmaceutical industry, the law-enforcement field and the prison industry (which is the only remaining growth industry in America).

Most of my friends smoke pot or smoked pot. I have one friend with diagnosed depression, which she developed before smoking pot. I have another friend who was diagnosed as bi polar long before she ever smoked pot.
If it caused what they claim, wouldnt at least one of friends have a mental illness?

Last edited:
The bottom line is the CG's and Si Modo's of the world really don't have a clue what they are talking about when it comes to the subject of marijuana.

No, like I said I am at work and posting from my phone. You can either wait a Few hours or you can look it up yourself.

Are you sure you want to reveal that you are posting from work in a thread that Si Modo is participating in?

Apparently stoners think that everyone is OK with their use of it. I'm not, if the person using it has an impact on my safety and welfare. That's a fact. The federal government and most of the private sector share my view. That is also a fact.

It also appears that their is a causal relationship between its use and psychosis, at least according to the BMJ. I can believe the BMJ or believe what some poster types on the net. I believe the BMJ lacking any other science that I see pertaining to the topic.

They can deal with that, or not. So far, they're not taking that so well. Funny how my opinion about their practice is so valuable to them.

But it IS nice having a clear head.

Forum List

Back