Small Town Sheriff Candidate Post

Sep 29, 2014
GA
This is a facebook post that a small town sheriff candidate posted to the page he used to advocate and promote his election. I feel as if this walks a very thin line, it seems the undertone was very bully like and even threatening of criminal proceedings because of a comment. This man (citizen) made a comment to his friend/neighbor that if she got to know the candidate personally, she wouldn't vote for him. Then he (the candidate) sought him out and confronted him in front of multiple witnesses. In the comments he then disclosed who this man was. I realize his intentions may have been good, but it didn't sit well with me, it sounds like anyone who disagrees with him might get charged. I wanted to get the opinions of others, should this kind of language be acceptable in politics? Particularly, small town politics?

"It was said to someone last night that if they got to know me, they would not support me. I went to the individual that made that statement and asked him in front of the individual he told, and several other adults, what it was about me they needed to know. His answer? He had nothing to say except, "They just need to get to know you." Let me just be clear, I hope all 14,000 plus citizens in Chowan county get to know me. You'll find I'm a man who loves God dearly and I don't set that aside for politics. You'll find that I stand for right all day, every day, not just when it is beneficial or political. You'll find that I love the people of this county and the best interest of each of you is why I'm running for Sheriff. I'm bringing you the truth and I'll bring it in public or private. You'll find I'm a man that will be relentless in pursuit of criminals and diligent in his efforts to ensure equal justice for all.

NCGS 163-274 (8) For any person to publish or cause to be circulated derogatory reports with reference to any candidate in any primary or election, knowing such report to be false or in reckless disregard of its truth or falsity, when such report is calculated or intended to affect the chances of such candidate for nomination or election; shall be guilty of a class 1 misdemeanor."

Actually most Sheriff Departments in the US with few exceptions enforce County wide jurisdictions. There are no "small town sheriffs" except in the minds of pop-culture idiots who watch way too much TV.

Forum List

Back